East Valley rookie here...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

East Valley rookie here...

So ive read the sticky as well as a few other forums...Im still unclear where i should get started. Im new to the sport, and wondering where would be a good spot for a beginner to start riding and get to know their bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine3982
    So ive read the sticky as well as a few other forums...Im still unclear where i should get started. Im new to the sport, and wondering where would be a good spot for a beginner to start riding and get to know their bike?
    I take beginner riders to the Warner-Elliot loop and turn off at Equestrian. Park at the Kyrene de Las Lomas school and follow the power lines to the trails. You'll be at the sand flats, and going generally to the southwest will take you to the water tank on the Desert Classic trail. From there you can putt around on the Warpaint loop.

If you're in doubt go to Cactus Bicycles next to the Safeway at 48th and Elliot, or Curbside Cycles at the southeast corner of 48th and Warner and ask for directions. (Both shops are user-friendly.)
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

kAZ
    mtbr member
    In the far east valley try Usery Park. The trails on the south side of the park are perfect beginner trails. Near Tempe, Papago Park near the zoo, and Desert Classic at South Mtn fit the bill.

Cannondale+China=Sad
    Mar 2010
    Check out San Tan Mountain Park. Very beginner friendly.

mtbr member
    Where in the east valley? If you are on the north end go to McDowell Mtn Park and start with the sport loop at the competitive tracks. Lots of fun, fast and smooth, nothing technical at all and short - 3 miles. Papago Park also has alot of easy trails.

mtbr member
    Hawes trail (Power/Thomas) is not too much of a killer. That was where I learned most of what I know about my bike.

mtbr member
    My recommendations are Usery (flat flowy), San Tan (has some ups and downs but not extreme... very smooth wide trails) and maybe parts of Hawes (this is going to be a bit more advanced then Usery and San Tan... good to ride with a guide who can keep you out of trouble and show you the good easy lines).

mtbr member
    papago park is awesome //g

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you live in the East Valley, your best bet is probably, as others have said, is Usury Park. You go north on Crismon until you HAVE to turn left on McKellips. Park on the south side of the road (if in your car) on the wide gravel shoulder. Just across the street is the entrance, just put your $2 in an envelope, and you can ride Blevins, Moon Rock, Meridian, Cats Peak (save that one for a while as it is fairly steep and rocky for a newby). That's where I learned and I still like to go there and ride a couple fast laps when I'm short on time. You can go as slow as you need or as fast as you dare. Just be respectful of the hikers and horses you see out there. give them the right of way and be courteous when passing them. Plus, you're in cell phone range when you fall and bust your a$$, like we all have and will again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    PM me your number and maybe we can get together sometime and I'll show you a trail or two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    +1 Usery is a great place to ride for someone unfamiliar. There is a good variety of trails and it is hard to get lost.

Members who have read this thread: 0