mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Earning upgrades

So, I started riding earlier this year, back in June and bought a Giant Revel 1 Hardtail. Been riding as frequently as I can, and even squeezing rides in when i can't ride =p

Lost 40lbs

Couple scars

Some great stories

Still long ways to go.

I've had a couple opportunities to buy a fancy, shiny FS since then, and i keep passing on it. I don't think I've earned it yet. There are some spots that I can't clear yet, that i think i should before i spoil myself with a super sweet FS.

I was on a ride the other day, and I was looking down a section and thought "no friggen way am I riding down that, it is probably just a hike trail, because it is thin and gnarly" while im catching my breath low and behold i see some dude RIP his way up this gnarly section and keep on trekking like it was no big thing.

Still a long ways to go.

Just curious if others have put off the fancy shiny new stuff until they can ride the crap outta what they already have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wouldn't look at it as upgrade so much as usefullness. If you ride a lot of paved and/or road paths and are not taking many jumps etc, then a hardtail is better suited for you. If you ride more dirt and jumps then the FS will be more comfortable.

Rmember too that generally, HTs pedal more efficiently than FS since you lose some pedal power in the suspension which would otherwise transfer straight to the crank on a HT.

Hope this helps...

Multiple Lines Rock
    depends

some upgrades are enablement others are earned
    fork-enablement
    lighter bars/seatpost-earned

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrophobe View Post
    depends

some upgrades are enablement others are earned
    fork-enablement
    lighter bars/seatpost-earned
    Good point.

I did upgrade my tires due to a nasty fall i had the front end slide out from under me due to high pressure and no grip.

Also upgraded to clipless

and got a rock shox tora fork to upgrade the scary pogostick suntour forks that came with it.

and the irony is I still LOVE my bike to friggen death, just the fancy shiny allure of a FS is hard to ignore.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Adjustable seat post earned!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odii View Post
    So, I started riding earlier this year, back in June and bought a Giant Revel 1 Hardtail. Been riding as frequently as I can, and even squeezing rides in when i can't ride =p

Lost 40lbs

Couple scars

Some great stories

Still long ways to go.

I've had a couple opportunities to buy a fancy, shiny FS since then, and i keep passing on it. I don't think I've earned it yet. There are some spots that I can't clear yet, that i think i should before i spoil myself with a super sweet FS.

I was on a ride the other day, and I was looking down a section and thought "no friggen way am I riding down that, it is probably just a hike trail, because it is thin and gnarly" while im catching my breath low and behold i see some dude RIP his way up this gnarly section and keep on trekking like it was no big thing.

Still a long ways to go.

Just curious if others have put off the fancy shiny new stuff until they can ride the crap outta what they already have?
    Short answer, yes. I have been riding an older Giant 26er (steel HT) since I got really into MTBing last March. It was/is heavy as the bike was pretty much stock, save for some Raceface bars and clipless pedals I put on it for better control. The bike came with Vbrakes so I was always über-careful on downhills. My biking buddies all ride 29ers and my last big ride (before an injury) was a 26 miler at Pemberton with the Giant. They were flying through the course and constantly waiting for me at various points It was that ride that I knew I had exhausted the capabilities of the bike without dumping more $$ into it. I felt at this point that I had earned an upgrade and if I was going to further build on my abilities and have even more fun, the a new steed was 'needed'.

I recently purchased a Felt Nine Sport (pic below) as it was within my budget and worth component upgrading in the future. I'm still on he mend from a dislocated elbow but I have ridden the Felt on light, flat trail and mostly road. I know this is going to be a more pleasurable, faster-climbing bike when I can get back to real riding.

It sounds as if this same moment is approaching for you, as well. My advice would be to try a friend's FS bike and a 29er HT. If you have the budget, give a 29er FS a go but don't cheap out on this type of bike. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Earning upgrades-imageuploadedbytapatalk1322249623.578846.jpg

Sent from my mountain bike

mtbr member
    I am mixed on this idea because it can go both ways. When I got heavily reinvolvd in MTB back in 1997, I bought a $900 GT Hardtail in 1999 which at the time was a mid to upper priced bike. I put about 4000 miles on it in 5 years and even raced it my first year of MBAA. I rode very well, had serious skill and the was never a time that the bike stopped me from riding anything-albeit it was more work on climbs, fought me harder on descents and required some hairball acts just to keep up with guys on better stuff.

When I started racing, I got serious in my second year and actuall put together a training plan annd learned about efficiency. I finally found my reason to upgrade. A nicer bike is lighter, so it climbs easier and if set up correctly, the nicer brakes and suspension will make the bike handler easier and better. Saving your energy so you can up the pace and concentrate on being a better rider.

My point is- I rode that old GT and smoked a lot of guys on much better equipment. Keeping up with better equipped riders made me a far better rider than if I would have just bought a better bike and remained at the same skill level. So I would say if you evaluate your skills and decide a better bike will absolutely increase them- go for it!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Multiple Lines Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Odii View Post

Lost 40lbs

Couple scars

Some great stories

Still long ways to go.

Still a long ways to go.

BTW from the sounds of your post you have already earned the FS rig.
    Happy holidays, get a FS rig bro

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Just don't sell your hardtail until you ride the FS for a while...

Otherwise you might be like me and be in the market for another hardtail after it took me two months to realize I hated FS.

Multiple Lines Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Just don't sell your hardtail until you ride the FS for a while...

Otherwise you might be like me and be in the market for another hardtail after it took me two months to realize I hated FS.
    I was sure a week after my FS I was done with my HT, but yes good advice to not sell it till youre sure you like the FS rig