Early Christmas for Sedona GPS Gurus- Others PLEASE Iqnore- Mtbr.com
    banned

Early Christmas for Sedona GPS Gurus- Others PLEASE Iqnore

OK, those riders who are GPS geeks and live or are coming to Sedona, Christmas has come early for mountain bikers and hikers who want a new tool to help them find the over 140 system and user built trails to improve their Sedona user experience. If people feel the 12 kmz files help them easier navigation of our comprehensive system, please provide some feedback of your personal experience.

Here is the link to the kmz files: https://sites.google.com/site/sedona...rch-site&q=kmz

TD

No Clue Crew
    You've got 2 map2east files. It would also be VERY helpful to know what areas each on covers. I'm downloading them all but I'm sure some people will get to that page, not know what they are looking for/at, and leave. An overview of the area with boundary lines of some kind would be perfect. You could even make an image map linking to the files

mtbr member
    As we were talking about the other day. A nice map is great to have, but how will visiting riders know what trails and direction is the preferred way to travel. Imagine going up Pig Tail, up Hog Heaven and into the broken arrow section? Its a bike ride yes, but maybe most folks would enjoy the ride going the other direction.
    As far as the map overlay, it seems pretty darn good. Now, how does one take the Google Earth data I have on my home computer and have it show up while viewing GE on a i-phone?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    You've got 2 map2east files. It would also be VERY helpful to know what areas each on covers. I'm downloading them all but I'm sure some people will get to that page, not know what they are looking for/at, and leave. An overview of the area with boundary lines of some kind would be perfect. You could even make an image map linking to the files
    big:

Thanks for the advise. I have changed the file names per your request. I don't know how to do the image map with boundaries and links to the individual files. If you could help with that it would be nice of you.

Happy Trails

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    As we were talking about the other day. A nice map is great to have, but how will visiting riders know what trails and direction is the preferred way to travel. Imagine going up Pig Tail, up Hog Heaven and into the broken arrow section? Its a bike ride yes, but maybe most folks would enjoy the ride going the other direction.
    As far as the map overlay, it seems pretty darn good. Now, how does one take the Google Earth data I have on my home computer and have it show up while viewing GE on a i-phone?
    OK, I don't know how to mark my map so it would show directional information with arrows, if someone knows how to do that in Topo Fusion let me know. Over the Edge plans on making a larger map and I think the Graphic designer is going to put on arrows.

That being said there needs to be an information piece provided that indicates all the trails incorporated into the ride, that way you don't need arrows. One of the guys who developed and gave me those new kmz files was on vacation from the East Coast and did a Hog Heaven ride with Fat Tire Dave and I. Before he got to Sedona he made up those files from my maps.

This is how this ADVANCED ride went: We drove to Chapel Rd. and started at the Mystic/Chapel Rd. intersection to Mystic to Pig Tail to Hog Tail to Hog Heaven to Hog Wash to Broken Arrow to High on the Hog to Hog Heaven to Hog Tail to Pig Tail to Mystic to Chapel Rd. to the car.

With a paper copy of my map you can see all those trails and you could highlight the ride to do yourself. Or, you could download the Highline kmz file (https://sites.google.com/site/sedona...rch-site&q=kmz) in a GPS and follow the same route on the GPS screen.

TD

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    OK, those riders who are GPS geeks and live or are coming to Sedona, Christmas has come early for mountain bikers and hikers who want a new tool to help them find the over 140 system and user built trails to improve their Sedona user experience. If people feel the 12 kmz files help them easier navigation of our comprehensive system, please provide some feedback of your personal experience.

Here is the link to the kmz files: https://sites.google.com/site/sedona...rch-site&q=kmz

TD
    Very nice. However, Topofusion doesn't seem to like .kmz files. Do you have .gpx?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Very nice. However, Topofusion doesn't seem to like .kmz files. Do you have .gpx?
    Not sure I understand why you are asking the question, but I use gpx in TopoFusion, and I think Google uses kmz as well as gpx and maybe kml (???????????)

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    Not sure I understand why you are asking the question, but I use gpx in TopoFusion, and I think Google uses kmz as well as gpx and maybe kml (???????????)
    You posted kmz files. That's fine for folks who use Google Earth. However, I don't know a way to download tracks from Google Earth to a Garmin or other GPS unit.

Was just wondering if you had gpx files so that I could look at them in Topofusion and load them to my gps - as needed.

I've used gpsies.com to convert kmz to gpx in the past - but it is not working for these files. Not sure why.

banned
    You posted kmz files. That's fine for folks who use Google Earth. However, I don't know a way to download tracks from Google Earth to a Garmin or other GPS unit.

Was just wondering if you had gpx files so that I could look at them in Topofusion and load them to my gps - as needed.

I've used gpsies.com to convert kmz to gpx in the past - but it is not working for these files. Not sure why.
    dt:

I will check to see how the rider from back east downloaded the file to his Garmin. He showed me his map screen on his GPS which showed the same look of my TopoFusion map.

TD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am "rider from the east". Here is what I did.

I took traildoc's pdf maps and converted them to jpeg files. Opened them in a photo editor and cropped them to remove the white boarders and in most cases cut them into two sections. (upper/lower, east/west) The reason for this has to do with resolution and the files sizes that I have found to be acceptable to my Garmin GPSmap 62s. You want to keep the kmz files under 2meg.

Once I had the 10 jpeg files, I opened Google Earth and select ADD>Image Overlay.

This displays the map section over the satelite image. You use the controls on the screen to drag/shrink/stretch the image to fit over the satelite image. You need visible roads/trails/etc that will match the map.

Once you have it precisely lined up you close it and "save place as". This creates the kmz file which is just the jpeg with coordinates. When you open it with GE it shows the map image placed over the actual earth coordinates.

With the GPSmap 62s and other models that support "Custom Maps", you can simply copy the kmz files to the Garmin\Custom Maps folder. When you are in that area, the map appears on the screen.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFmyBackyard View Post
    I am "rider from the east". Here is what I did.

I took traildoc's pdf maps and converted them to jpeg files. Opened them in a photo editor and cropped them to remove the white boarders and in most cases cut them into two sections. (upper/lower, east/west) The reason for this has to do with resolution and the files sizes that I have found to be acceptable to my Garmin GPSmap 62s. You want to keep the kmz files under 2meg.

Once I had the 10 jpeg files, I opened Google Earth and select ADD>Image Overlay.

This displays the map section over the satelite image. You use the controls on the screen to drag/shrink/stretch the image to fit over the satelite image. You need visible roads/trails/etc that will match the map.

Once you have it precisely lined up you close it and "save place as". This creates the kmz file which is just the jpeg with coordinates. When you open it with GE it shows the map image placed over the actual earth coordinates.

With the GPSmap 62s and other models that support "Custom Maps", you can simply copy the kmz files to the Garmin\Custom Maps folder. When you are in that area, the map appears on the screen.
    rider from the east:

Thanks for helping with the method to use my TopoFusion map with GPS's that support the Custom Maps feature.

I went on a ride today that your group will want to ride when you get back to Sedona. The weather, trail (Tomahawk) and trail conditions today were PERFECT.

Thanks again for the wonderful dinners at the Lighthouse and Elote. It was fun pretending like I was a member of an elite country club rather than my normal dining at Burger King with my regular buddies.

TD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We had a great time too TD. It's fun to pretend on the "boy's trips". I just got back from an early morn ride here in VT. Noreaster coming up the coast so had to get it in today before there is snow on the ground. 25 Deg. and just light enough to start at 7:15. Wife leaving at 9am to do a "mudder" race in NH. Had to be home to the kids by 8:50 under orders from the "war department".

Forgot to mention in last post that the really easy way to align the maps over the sat image in GE is to start by opening gpx tracks in GE first that are in the same area. Then just align the map to the tracks. Much easier than using roads/trails/terrain features which is the way I originally did it and the reason we stumbled around for 20 min. looking for the entrance to Special Ed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    John, great to bump into you on the trail yesterday! Raineil and I really enjoyed Western Civilization and Legendary. Thanks for inviting us to join you!

We took a picture on a cool slickrock curve on the east side of Doe Mt on Aerie Trail just before we bumped into you.

Today, we followed up on your suggestion: Highline trail. I had to follow your Everytrail GPS data, as I haven't quite figured out how to get my Garmin 800 to accept the custom maps you have provided. Today we stopped to record the south view of Cathedral Rock...so beautiful!

Cheers,
    Alan
    PS you were right on about the bike I [used] to own... a Cove Gspot...

mtbr member
    Those pictures are amazing Gspot! Nice work. I really like the first one. So much color and depth on that panorama....then I scrolled down and noticed the rider on the slick rock curve.Bam! Blew my socks off. So good.

BTW, do you ride a new Cove G-Spot? I had a good experience with one at I-bike but there are precious few reviews online and I know others would like to hear your thoughts if that's what your handle has reference to.

Reading these GPS track, maps, conversions, instructions, etc makes me realize how hopelessly out of touch I am with this stuff. I have an old eTrex Vista that I use basically as a glorified odometer.

Oh, I about forgot. Thanks for posting those tracks TD. If I knew what to do with them I'd download them. I feel so clueless.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Save the kmz files as kml's in GE. Load the kml's into TF and save them them as gpx's. Now you can upload them to your GPS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Save the kmz files as kml's in GE. Load the kml's into TF and save them them as gpx's. Now you can upload them to your GPS.
    This don't work. I thought these were vector, not raster files. Should of looked at the files before posting this rubbish.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    This don't work. I thought these were vector, not raster files. Should of looked at the files before posting this rubbish.
    ARI:

One mans garbage is another mans GOLD. Does your GPS have the CUSTOM MAPS feature that the newer GPS's like the Garmin 62S has?

TD

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    TD-

Yes it does. I have used this feature in the past, but have noticed when I decrease my scale that the rasterized custom maps become rather pixalated and unreadable. gpx/vector files are my files of choice for the Garmin, but when I get a chance I will load one of your maps to my gps and have a look.

Thanks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post
    John, great to bump into you on the trail yesterday! Raineil and I really enjoyed Western Civilization and Legendary. Thanks for inviting us to join you!

We took a picture on a cool slickrock curve on the east side of Doe Mt on Aerie Trail just before we bumped into you.

Today, we followed up on your suggestion: Highline trail. I had to follow your Everytrail GPS data, as I haven't quite figured out how to get my Garmin 800 to accept the custom maps you have provided. Today we stopped to record the south view of Cathedral Rock...so beautiful!

Cheers,
    Alan
    PS you were right on about the bike I [used] to own... a Cove Gspot...
    Alan:

Thanks for your post. That picture is on a spot of of the Aerie (beginner trail per Woahey) trail that was spotted during the routing of that trail. The initial routing was changed to incorporate that feature in the trail plan. I am going to forward the picture to the volunteer trail router, I think he will get a kick out of it.

If you can get a chance to join us for the Sedona 11/11/11 Epic Downhill/Uphill Scenic Ride at 10 AM tomorrow let me know.

TD

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Custom Maps

The Edge 800 does not support Custom Maps. That's a "roadie" GPS man.....

ARIZycle: The trick is to zoom way in on the JPG before you use Google Earth to align it and convert it to a KMZ. If you have good rez zoomed in on the JPG, it will look good on the Garmin screen. The resulting KMZ will be the exact same size as the JPG.

As noted in an earlier post, my 62S does not like KMZ's bigger than 2meg. I had a bit of editing and cropping after converting TrailDoc's PDF files to JPG before the looked good on my 62S screen when I Zoomed in.

I should also note that the KMZ's on my unit generally will not display at greater than 0.3 to 0.5 mile scale but I can zoom down to 200-300 feet and they are still usable.

It definitely took some late nights at the PC to learn the ins/outs and get all the Sedona files right.