mtbr member

Dusty Trail - Bike Clean up advice?

My daily ride is 2 to 2 1/2 hours over a dusty Arizona single track. At the end of my daily ride I face a dilemna. How to clean / lube my bike. The bike is dusty enough that I need to clean it up. My problem is that wiping it down never seems to be enough and the next day the chain / gears will be noisey and grindy. However, I worry that lightly hosing the bike down with water everyday is going to cause undo wear and tear on all my lube points (Chain, Deraileur, etc) plus I can through alot of lube when I have to apply it after every ride.

Any thoughts? After you hose off your bike, how much "re-lubing" should you be doing?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    [FONT=Verdana]Any thoughts? After you hose off your bike, how much "re-lubing" should you be doing?
    Every ride.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Wipe and lube the chain after every ride. Once a month or every couple weeks, depending how often you get to ride, hose it down with just a hose and no spray nozzle, or if the nozzle is adjustable, use the spray setting, not the jet. Dry it and lube it up.

mtbr member
    So do you just relube the chain and all the derailleur pivots? What about axles and bottom bracket...typically sealed..right?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Yep, I carry lube in my pack so that way I always have it with me especially for as dry as it is right now. I even put some in the springs of my spd pedals and around the seals of my fork.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Shred...it's the new drug
    like fish says...just throw some tri-flow on it. (no he didn't say that...) but he did so don't wash it with water pressure higher than you can pee. that is bad for parts and bearings

!@#$%&!
    I have some Sedona red on mine right now. I don't wanna clean it.

I lube my chain every ride but what else should I spray with lube?

Alive and Lurkin'
    Simple Green and hose.
    Dry
    Lube
    Ride
    Repeat
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    It is a mtn bike in most parts of the world it gets wet/muddy every ride but not here in the Valley. I do the following:

After every ride:
    - Clean and lube my chain
    - Wipe the dust off from my front/rear shock sliding areas

~1 every 3 or 4 months
    - Spray WD-40 on front/rear D's

~1 time a year
    - Use a water hose open end to hose off the dust

mtbr member
    I'll add that after brushing/wiping off dust from pivot points, sometimes I'll wipe down the frame with a damp cloth.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    never mind... If this forum does not allow me to type the word ****** I don't want to be a part of this society anymore.

mtbr member
    ******!!!!!!

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    like fish says...just throw some tri-flow on it. (no he didn't say that...) but he did so don't wash it with water pressure higher than you can pee. that is bad for parts and bearings

I wash my bikes with a hose after almost every ride. Just don't blast the hubs and BB with it and you should be fine. Park it in the sun when your done and it'll be dry in 10 minutes. Follow up with some chain lube and you're done.

mtbr member
    seriously though. wipe your chain and lube it every 20 miles or so. Try DuMonde Tech dry lube. it works great for me.
    What is the deal with censoring the word "******" though? Why am i getting the ***** treatment? Don't they know who I am?

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiketodd
    It is a mtn bike in most parts of the world it gets wet/muddy every ride but not here in the Valley. I do the following:

After every ride:
    - Clean and lube my chain
    - Wipe the dust off from my front/rear shock sliding areas

~1 every 3 or 4 months
    - Spray WD-40 on front/rear D's

~1 time a year
    - Use a water hose open end to hose off the dust
    WD-40? really? I always thought WD-40 should never be used on any bike ever. Am I wrong?

Too many Sedonuts...
    I use an air compressor in my garage after every ride. Blows the dust off, gets some of the stuff off the chain and keeps the calipers clean. Be careful not to blow directly into any shock seals, it will just push the dirt in. For the chain, I use shop rags then re-lube it every ride or 3. That's about all I ever do, aside from an annual-ish overhaul
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger
    WD-40? really? I always thought WD-40 should never be used on any bike ever. Am I wrong?
    sometimes you need the wd-40 and a lighter to deal with hikers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger
    I don't use the WD-40 as a lube. I'm using it to move built up grime out of the "D's" to ensure they keep moving free

NardoSS
    I use a feather duster on the meat of the bike after a dusty ride. Lube chain after a ride and leave on until your next ride, THEN remove. Huge difference.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by NardoSS
    I use a feather duster on the meat
    TMI

Old-newbie
    My routine, fwiw:
    After every 2-5 hours of riding, spray the dust off with a garden hose with the nozzle set for a 2 inch wide spray. Be very careful around bearings.
    Set the nozzle to jet, hold it very close to the chain, and spin the crank backward to clean the chain. Hit the rear cassette while you are at it.
    I have hard water, which is almost as damaging as the abrasive dust around here, so this next part is very important.
    Bounce the bike a few times then stand it on end to get rid of pockets of water.
    Using an air compressor and air gun set to 20-30 psi (don't go higher) blow the water out of the brake calipers, all pivot points, and anywhere else that it might hide. Keep the tip a couple of inches away from the target when doing this. You don't want to force water through seals.
    Hold the tip of the air gun against the chain and backspin the crank to get the water out of the chain. Same for the rear cassette.
    Dry the rest of the bike off with a terrycloth towel.
    Lube the chain and stanchions, check tire pressure, and it is ready to go.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

Bicycle rider
    You can also use a leaf blower to dry your bike after a wash. It helps get water out of the small places water collects.
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

Members who have read this thread: 3