Dust Devil?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dust Devil?

It rains here. :(

Dust Devil?

I just learned that there was a race this past weekend, yet no word of anything around here.

How did it go? Anyone participate? Any pics?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Nice and low key

I raced the marathon last weekend. 52 miles, with some extra singletrack thrown in for a longer loop than the regular competetion track loop. The turnout wasn't huge, only 11 guys doing the marathon, but some of the classes were bigger. Swiss American Bicycles is sponsering this year, and 1st place gets you a $20.00 gift card for their shop. Maybe they'll bring some merchandise out to the final race for those of us that don't live in Phoenix(hint, hint). This series has been bigger in past years, but is still a good tune-up for races next year. With the addition of the marathon class, you can get more riding for your dinero. Also, no pre-reg is neccessary(no late fees), just show-up to blow-up!
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    I raced the marathon last weekend. 52 miles, with some extra singletrack thrown in for a longer loop than the regular competetion track loop.

This is interesting, did they open up some new trails that are connected to the competitive loop or something to add more miles?

Maybe this means that White Tanks is actually going to extend their trail systems?...nah I doubt it, although they have more land than any of the other regional parks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I was there. Did the marathon. I did it on a RIG ss. It was fun. It needed more organization and just was plain missing something for the $50.

Course was good, linked in more singletrack by using service road to the main road then a single track loop and back to the competitive track.

All in all seems that all the categories were not well represented - probably lack of promotion. DCB adventures is running it now and with all the events put on, seem possibly that they may be spread a bit thin.

I miss the WEMS - Wisconsin Endurance Mountain Bike Series. http://www.wemseries.com/

it would be good to get something going like that around here. Very grass roots, lots of fun, well run and good people.

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedwi
    I was there. Did the marathon. I did it on a RIG ss. It was fun. It needed more organization and just was plain missing something for the $50.

I couldn't imagine attempting those switchbacks on an ss...I can't even make it all the way up with gears....yep I really suck, thanks for the reminder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    I couldn't imagine attempting those switchbacks on an ss...I can't even make it all the way up with gears....yep I really suck, thanks for the reminder.

Ahh dont be hard on yourself. its a tough short climb. the last switchback i always got off for ... sometimes getting off is fast than trying to ride something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I always struggle with those switchbacks -that section right after the switchbacks can be tricky as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    I always struggle with those switchbacks -that section right after the switchbacks can be tricky as well.

Yeah that whole area can be tricky/painful if you make a mistake. Last time I rode it, I discovered that someone had removed the cheater rock below the two foot drop. Yeah that pretty much sucked. If you don't know what I mean, check out this link http://www.adrenalinephotos.com/crash/galleries.htm and choose White Tanks. Once you look at the pics you'll see the "step" rocks I'm speaking of. I pretty much lost a bit of fingertip that day, luckily they grow back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I hate that rock.

mtbr member

Estrella

I may be in town for work the weekend of Dec 3rd, and thought it'd be fun to try one of these races - I think Estrella is that weekend.... Any course info ye locals can provide? Sounds like a fun series, and could be just the thing for this lazy-ass off-season rider!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    I may be in town for work the weekend of Dec 3rd, and thought it'd be fun to try one of these races - I think Estrella is that weekend.... Any course info ye locals can provide? Sounds like a fun series, and could be just the thing for this lazy-ass off-season rider!

Here's some maps of Estrella, I would imagine that your race will include both the long loop and the technical loop. http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/estrella/Maps.aspx

Tons of rocks and sand, the suck is great. I make sure to donate blood on each trip to Estrella.

Az HS Cycling League

Estrella Race

Hi Glenzx, We passed each other a few times at the '04 Adrenaline 24 hr race at Fountain Hills. The Estrella course can be pretty fun. It will cause you to work however. The long loop is about 10 miles of rocky, technical (by xc race standards) singletrack and the tech loop is 5 miles of slightly more technical terrain. When I say technical I mean rocky with tight turns, in and out of wash crossings (slightly steep down followed by slightly steep up) but definately all ridable. I've raced it a few times and it is fun. I would say it would be worth your time and drive.

I am Doctor Remulak
    I shouldn't laugh, but those really made me laugh thinking about that moment of realization that you're going over the bars. Outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    I shouldn't laugh, but those really made me laugh thinking about that moment of realization that you're going over the bars. Outstanding.

What's odd looking at those photos is just how long it takes someone to realize they are going over. My friend has better reflexes and can walk out of most but I'm like those poor saps pictured.

I am Doctor Remulak
    What's odd looking at those photos is just how long it takes someone to realize they are going over. My friend has better reflexes and can walk out of most but I'm like those poor saps pictured.
    Yeah, you can tell from the first or second picture of the sequence that it's not going to end well. They're even funnier after a few good Belgian beers.

mtbr member
    Here's some maps of Estrella, I would imagine that your race will include both the long loop and the technical loop. http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/estrella/Maps.aspx

Tons of rocks and sand, the suck is great. I make sure to donate blood on each trip to Estrella.
    Coolness - thanks!

Rocks. Sand. I'm there!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stew
    Hi Glenzx, We passed each other a few times at the '04 Adrenaline 24 hr race at Fountain Hills. The Estrella course can be pretty fun. It will cause you to work however. The long loop is about 10 miles of rocky, technical (by xc race standards) singletrack and the tech loop is 5 miles of slightly more technical terrain. When I say technical I mean rocky with tight turns, in and out of wash crossings (slightly steep down followed by slightly steep up) but definately all ridable. I've raced it a few times and it is fun. I would say it would be worth your time and drive.
    Sounds great Stew - and I sure missed having the 24HOA race this year, as I was looking to debut Solo there. Old Pueblo will now be the big race. Feel like I have no idea where I stand now since I wasted the latter part of this season in a unhealthy & sickly slump - and thought Estrella sounded like a fun oppurtunity to go open the legs up.

mtbr member
    Can you camp there?

Solum Volamus

White Tanks...

Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    That whole section of trail is my favorite part. I think it combines a little bit of everything you see when mountain biking and is good practice. I used to ride that trail about 3-4 times a week while I was stationed at Luke and living in Surprise. It was great to see how much you can improve in a short amount of time with practice (< 9 months). By the end I could clean the switchbacks on my Explosif, but had to run a 32x20 to do it. As for the rock drop...I usually just rode the easy line to the right since I was alone 99% of the time. I did clean it once or twice with some buddies. Not real pretty though. Here is a crappy pic of me about to launch!

Wish I was still in AZ...it just started snowing here in Korea.

TUMBLEWEED
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tumbleweed; 12-04-2005 at 08:43 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0