dry trails in flagstaff- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

dry trails in flagstaff

has anyone been out lately in flagstaff? anything ride-able?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Brown Dot looks dry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    how do i find brown dot?

mtbr member
    I've been doing recon up here. The south exposed Elden mountain trails around Fat Mans loop are good but only the south exposed not treed sections. Not too epic. I also hiked around on Ft. Valley yesterday. Lots of mud and ice. But doable if you went crack of dawn when the mud is frozen and can handle skethchy ice that even my hiking boots were slipping on.

Any higher in elev and in canyons is still covered in snow

I'd wait a couple weeks- if we don't get any snow, it could be worth it.

Or get a Pugsley or Mukluk.

If anyone getting any ideas, don't go trash muddy trails! That's not cool and not LNT.

mtbr member
    And you'll bring The Prodigal Son out of hiding. No need to ride muddy trails when Sedona is so close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    has anyone checked out campbell mesa / fisher point/ skunk canyon locales? i've got the itch, and the sedona commute is starting to get spendy.

mtbr member
    My guess is Skunk and Fisher Pt are still too shady but you might be able to do Campbell Mesa. Definitely worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Campbell Mesa might be good, since town is so clear. Someone should observe and report

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    so i just returned from fisher point/ campbell mesa by way of the urban trail behind homco.

the section from the urban trail to fisher point was still pretty snowy as i suspected, but starting at the equestrian bypass that takes you to the top of fisher point onwards to the campbell mesa trailhead was 90% dry. the snow is shallow and crusty, easily ridable.

the west leg of the walnut meadows loop on campbell mesa was 100% dry, however most of the trails i encountered today were really loose, not muddy but still like riding through molasses. i definitely had a good time though, and my bike isn't very crusty. i think i'll do it again if it stays dry

Members who have read this thread: 0