Bring the ruckus

Downhill Echo Canyon???

Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any way to do this legealy? I think it would be one of the gnarliest downhills I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler
    Has anyone ever tried this? Is there any way to do this legealy? I think it would be one of the gnarliest downhills I've ever seen.
    Okay?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Yes, once when I was 14 on a Huffy and it sucked not cuz I was on a Huffy but because the billion of people on the mountain.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler

PERFECTLY LEGAL. I have done it on my fixed gear 100% with no dabs.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Let me know when you plan on riding it. I would like to be present with my video camera. Make sure you do it with a HT.... otherwise it wouldn't be challenging.

mtbr member
    Why do they call it Echo Canyon?

What?

I said, why do they call it Echo Canyon?

AKA shitbird
    I'd love to try it but it would have to be a weekday in the summer. Otherwise it is PACKED with hikers
    JRA

AKA shitbird
    It does look like it would be be a fun DH.

echo canyon.jpg
    JRA

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos

Aw the steepest part of the climb. Some of that is pretty close to vertical. Also lets not forget about the boulder gardens that litter the trail the last 1/2 of it (going up).

I hike that trail every weekend and it hurts me each time.... on two wheels it would surely kill me.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    Aw the steepest part of the climb. Some of that is pretty close to vertical. Also lets not forget about the boulder gardens that litter the trail the last 1/2 of it (going up).

I hike that trail every weekend and it hurts me each time.... on two wheels it would surely kill me.
    I used to hike that trail alot and everytime I would think to myself about how great of a downhill run that would be, the valley trails are lacking in steep/ gnarly stuff. There is some gnarly stuff around town in a few places and some steep stuff in others but the combo of both is whats REALLY fun. Getting the bike to the top....that's a different story, that would just suck! Up the east side maybe?
    JRA

My other ride is your mom
    excuse my ignorance....but as a native Phoenician, I don't know where that is....camelback?

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    excuse my ignorance....but as a native Phoenician, I don't know where that is....camelback?
    Yes Camelback Mountain. Surely you know where Camelback Mountain is, and if you don't know where the mountain is....that is AWESOME!
    JRA

May 2009
    Yes, its the west side summit trail of Camelback Mountain. No bikes allowed and probably the most hiked trail in all of AZ. It's a short hike but pretty much straight up the whole time, stair stepper style. The East side also has a trail that is a bit longer and easier (except for the last leg its a pretty mild hike).

sorry eabos....I'm not that awesome...do know where camelback is...hiked squaw a zillion times....but never, ever done camelback. don't know why...no particular reason...just one of those funny things like never ever noticing the arrow in the FedEx logo until one day someone pointed it out to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Why is there a fence there, that looks like kaka!

May 2009
    sorry eabos....I'm not that awesome...do know where camelback is...hiked squaw a zillion times....but never, ever done camelback. don't know why...no particular reason...just one of those funny things like never ever noticing the arrow in the FedEx logo until one day someone pointed it out to you.

There is an arrow in the FedEx logo?

AKA shitbird
    There is an arrow in the FedEx logo?

I didn't believe it either! Then I googled fedex and looked at it. Still didn't see it, was about to reply that it was BS.....then BAM! Right there between the "E" and the "X". awesome...just awesome...

...never stop learning...
    JRA

glad I could melt some brains today....

May 2009
    glad I could melt some brains today....
    I must be dumb... I had to cheat to see it...

http://www.moillusions.com/2006/05/f...-illusion.html

Pivotal figure
    Wow; you just never know what subliminal stuff is out there
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Wow; you just never know what subliminal stuff is out there
    also good fer nuttin nuttin nuttin nuttin.
    i think dars an echo here too.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

im4Gsus

echo canyon.jpg
    i used to hike camelback often in the 80s. then moved to florida in 88 and came back in 2001 but have not climbed it this time around. looking at that pic reminds me why - steeeeeep!

i'll stick with xc riding!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    Why is there a fence there, that looks like kaka!
    that's to keep stupid people from falling off the side. plenty of people have fallen to their death off that mountain. good times

mtbr member
    What about the naked guy on a pack of Camel cigarettes?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Had to google it. Wow, that's pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Oh, and

Downhill Spokesmodel

Camel Subliminal?

I had heard that the figure was supposed to be a woman.
    There is also a lion that shares the camel's back and tail.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

AKA shitbird
    I like this not-so subliminal sign for Kids Exchange

kids-exchange.jpg
    JRA

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I like this not-so subliminal sign for Kids Exchange

kids-exchange.jpg
    Bwhahaha! That's F--ked up!

May 2009

having lived in VA for 4 dark years to include when this article was published...I gotta say....that's so Roanoke.

I love bike!
    LMAO!!!

May 2009
    having lived in VA for 4 dark years to include when this article was published...I gotta say....that's so Roanoke.
    You have to wonder if they printed that picture for the irony or if they didn't see anything wrong with it....

pedaller
    You have to wonder if they printed that picture for the irony or if they didn't see anything wrong with it....
    Pretty funny followup to that story: http://www.roanoke.com/columnists/kennedy/wb/xp-11293

Managing Editor Rich Martin concurred: "Our photographers are out there to show what's really going on - not to stage or edit a scene just so we can photograph someone in a more favorable light."
    My favorite part of the article:

As for smoking while pregnant, she said her doctor told her "it would be good if I cut back, but if I totally quit, it would not only cause stress on me but it would cause stress on the baby."
    It would be tough for that poor unborn baby to stop smoking cold turkey
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Whoever clears Echo from its peak to the trail head without any blood, scrapes or broken bones I will give $1000 to. And if someone can do it from trail head to peak without putting a foot down I will give them a million dollars!

Meatbomb
    I'll hold the money.. PM to follow with wire transfer instructions.

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    PERFECTLY LEGAL. I have done it on my fixed gear 100% with no dabs.
    I'm going to ring the BULL$#!T bell on this one! I'll buy you a case of beer if you can prove it!

Bring the ruckus
    Someone should send that recomendation into Nitro Circus or someone else that could possibly make it happen. I seriously doubt anyone could clear Echo from the top down. As for going up without putting a foot down, it's hard enough not sitting down when i hike it.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by RIfreeDE
    Whoever clears Echo from its peak to the trail head without any blood, scrapes or broken bones I will give $1000 to. And if someone can do it from trail head to peak without putting a foot down I will give them a million dollars!
    I would take that challenge in second, going down that is....uphill no chance.
    JRA

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    eabos lets go ride it!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

May 2009
    Again, please let me know the time and day.... I wouldn't miss it for the world (with my camera in hand).

AKA shitbird
    I'm down to try it but are bikes specifically prohibited from that trail? The PHX parks website doesn't mention the park rules. It could be that they never thought anyone would even try so didn't bother mentioning it (they clearly don't know us well). What I don't want to do is give Valley mtnbikers a bad name by poaching one of the City's most popular trails. BUT, if there are no restrictions (ie. big signs prohibiting bikes) I say we go in the middle of a weekday in the miserable heat. It will be hotter than fok but the only time when trail won't be packed with hikers. That trail is damn steep and dodging enormous groups of hikers would be impossible.

I would LOVE to try it though, especially since people are talking about it like riding it is impossible

Getting my DH bike up to the top will be a b!tch though! I'll go hike it tomorrow and see if there are any evil "no bike" signs posted
    JRA

Just Joshin' ya!
    Wow, I am definitely going to keep watching this thread!!!
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    cool..let keep me posted, I am down to hit it up with u for sure bro.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Downhill Spokesmodel

Race next Fall

I heard a rumor that Smoken Spokes is going to have a race there next fall.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

Old but slow.
    Apr 2005
    There is not ONE person that posts on these forums that wouldn't LOVE to see someone try that ride. While I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone on this earth that could ride (or trials) down the boulder field I'm certain it isn't any one of us (my deductible is WAY to large to even attempt that). At last count, there was a thousand dollars and a case of beer on the line . . .hell, I'll even cook a Carne Asada FEAST for anyone that even attempts it! Any takers?

mtbr member
    Hit it up! There's plenty of silicon to break your fall.

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by 360 Adventures
    There is not ONE person that posts on these forums that wouldn't LOVE to see someone try that ride. While I wouldn't be surprised if there was someone on this earth that could ride (or trials) down the boulder field I'm certain it isn't any one of us (my deductible is WAY to large to even attempt that). At last count, there was a thousand dollars and a case of beer on the line . . .hell, I'll even cook a Carne Asada FEAST for anyone that even attempts it! Any takers?
    I say no deal unless you provide some Sherpas to haul the riders DH rigs up the hill. That way they will be fresh for the descent. Also I think you should step up the beer offering to at least a keg of obscure overly hoppy micro brew. Mmmmm....carne asada.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    anyone ever see this down by the base of south mountain. I will never forget interupting my friends story, pulling a U-turn to go back and make sure I saw what I thought I did. Yes it did say that..

http://phoenix.about.com/od/arizonap...ashiondodo.htm
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

Bring the ruckus
    Of all the people I could actualy picture eabos doing this DH. Let me know when and I'll have the first aid kit and cold beer waiting for any takers. That would deffinately be a top youtube hit. Not to mention bragging rights for life for being the first to clean that gnar.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    well eabos I guess we will have to split the 100 bucks. I need 2 weeks to finish pt on my shoulder then I we shall shred it.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    I have to say after looking at the pics of that trail, some of it looks unrideable. The part in that pic looks pretty easy though..

May 2009
    IMHO there are only a handful of people in the world that could get down Camelback without serious injury let alone clearing it from top to bottom... gods knows I am not one of them. However, I would love to watch attempts!

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Greffster
    I have to say after looking at the pics of that trail, some of it looks unrideable. The part in that pic looks pretty easy though..
    Parts of it are VERY unridable the one in the picture is much steeper than it looks. The top part of the is close to vertical... and its long as well... don't underestimate it.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    The stairsteps sucked on my fully rigid Huffy but I would love to try it on the DH. Plus the boulder field has a go around if you take the slickrock north of the trail.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

If you think you can
    You guys still planning on riding this?

Maui Grown
    This part is rideable, no doubt in my mind. It's the upper boulder section that would be near-impossible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Hit it up! There's plenty of silicon to break your fall.
    I just shot IPA out of my nose! LMAO!!!

Bring the ruckus
    I doubt it. I looked on the web and bikes are deffinately not allowed on the trail. I think it's not posted cause the don't expect anyone would ever want to ride this. But if it ever happens it better get caught on tape cause I know everyone on here would love to see that.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    This part is rideable, no doubt in my mind. It's the upper boulder section that would be near-impossible.
    LOL Ariozna

Fragile - must be Italian
    I've hiked Camelback hundreds of times...and I gotta say...there is no focking way that a recreational rider can handle that trail all the way down. Not a chance. There are 2 *really* steep sections with continuous 3' drops that most people can barely climb up or down on foot...let alone ride a bike.

If the steepness of certain sections doesn't topple a bike...the steepness combined with the outrageously big steps would. And making a mistake in those sections would definitely mean a few days stay in the ER...or longer if you had the misfortune of falling 50+' off the side of the trail.

Now I'm not saying that it's impossible. Maybe some of the pros can make it down. Maybe.

Heck...let's call Red Bull and see if they can set up one of their Rampage stunts to DH Echo Canyon. That would be awesome!

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Seems like a trials rider would have the best shot at it. Ryan Leech maybe? In Kranked whatever number they're at now??

mtbr member
    I hike this every Sunday and have wondered if anybody has tried. I really don't think it's possible. Although the first quarter mile would be easy on a bike with decent suspension.

Members who have read this thread: 0