Down to my wrestling weight, drinking bad water- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Down to my wrestling weight, drinking bad water

*warning* I am going to be talking about my health, and some gross things like diarrhea. However maybe you can learn from this

My digestion went to total **** last month. Not like I have always had the best appetite or excercise habits, but I have been in the 160-170 lb range ever since about 16 years old. Anyways, my usual 'stuff anything I want down my face' appetite was really getting to me. It seemed like no matter what I ate I always ended up feeling like crap and always woke up in the morning with diarrhea.

So, I finally went to the doctor and got tested for a multitude of things, including parasites which I tested positive for. I've got a water born parasite called Giardia and it most likely came from drinking tap water out of my camelback.

I figured the camelback was a pretty clean environment since you can't really backwash into it, as long as you put clean water in it. However, the tap water I have been using apparently isn't as clean as I thought. Furthermore, sometimes I would wait between uses to wash out the camelback and let the old tap water sit around. This was really stupid on my part in retrospect (and after reading about how you can catch Giardia), but also I had no idea just how bad the tap water around here can be.

Anyways, just wanted to share just in case any body wanted a quick solution to weight loss, or wanted to learn from my misfortunes. Either way, hopefully I'll see you guys back on the trail as I have had to take a hiatus due to this.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    OMG. Thanks for the warning, because lord knows, we're too immature to talk about diarrhea and other natural, bodily functions in a mature, constructive manner.

However, I am going to go to the store to look for this "Giardia". I need to get rid of these lovehandles, and this diet might be the ticket.

mtbr member
    I've got some chandler tap for you, it's free

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been wondering if it's ok to let water sit around in my camelback. I don't drink direct from the tap, but I probably should empty and clean my camelback more often. Thanks for the warning!

Feel better!

Disgruntled Peccary
    Wait, your city water supply has giardia in it? Wow, that makes it worse than much of the surface supplies this time of year.
    mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    Wait, your city water supply has giardia in it? Wow, that makes it worse than much of the surface supplies this time of year.
    It's pretty much all I have been subjected to, really don't have any other good guesses as to where it could have come from. Haven't used my filter on a hike or bike for years or drinkin any surface water for that matter.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Could have been passed by food, all it takes is a bit of fecal contamination. Actually, chances are much higher that you got it that way than from municipal water. Either way though, it really does suck.. been there.
    mike

My other ride is your mom
    I'm always careful of keeping my bite valve on my camelback when I'm around a natural body of water....cross contamination from the body of water to the camelback can be a pain in the arse as you point out. As others have pointed out, I'm guessing this is a far more likely source of the giardia than the tap water.

I also store my camelback bladder in the fridge after each ride....helps keep the flora from growing too fast.

Team Tortuga
    So on that note what would be a good reccomendation for a lightweight water filter for the long rides when it is hot and all you got is that pretty, barely flowing watersource to re-fill with? I count myself fortunate last year because I had to fill from the river on the BCT without a filter. I found the fastest flowing, cleanest spot in some sand and gravel to do it and thankfully I had no negative effects from it.
    Last edited by crAZy Irish; 04-14-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Actually, you probably want slower, shallower, water. The UV light from the sun kills organisms too. However, if you want the ultimate in light weight.. aquamira liquid or tabs will do it. There is a good inline filter available from camelbak too btw
    mike

Team Tortuga
    The ads on here are crazy! How do they know the subject matter of the forum? Damn big brother!

Down to my wrestling weight, drinking bad water-filter-ads.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I thought giardia was really only passed in the feces of animals and humans. If you have that in yer tap then I hope you are moving as it would be the only way to really get rid of it.

I had some similar stuff start to me almost 6-7 yrs ago. It started off happening once er twice a year and would put me in the hospital for a few days as I could not hold anything down. Over the years it got progressivly worse until now it has totally taken over my life. I lost my job because of it, lost the house because of that and now I am declairing disability. I went through 3 different GI dr's including a 3yr work up at mayo and they all gave up........ Hope yours goes better then mine..........
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    time to give the old blader a good scrub

ride more, blog less
    can always go to walmart and pick up iodine tablets... just a little jar no bigger than a keychain. get the $8 pack, it has another tab which takes away a lot of the color and taste that iodine leaves. even with my fiter, i still drop a tab in every time
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    I just read a little more into Giardia in water supplies, and apparently it is completely and totally plausible to catch it from drinking tap. Furthermore the cysts can survive for months in dark water at temperatures below 54 C. (think the inside of my camelbak all winter) If you guys want to read more about Giardia, here's a link from the epa

http://www.epa.gov/waterscience/huma.../giardiafs.pdf

Anyways, this was sort of a heads up since I figured there had to be someone else out there who didn't know the ramifications of drinking tap and not being careful. I generally don't eat out at TOO many fast food restaurants, and would like to think the establishments I frequent are clean. Who knows though?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    I just read a little more into Giardia in water supplies, and apparently it is completely and totally plausible to catch it from drinking tap.
    Sure, but it's not because it was in your camelback, it's because it came out of your tap, and in that sense the camelback is almost not important here, it's your water supply.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    did you eat any of those bluebag brownies from the girl scout bake sale?

"No Clue Crew"
    If I'm having a bad day at the office, all I have to do is jump on here for a sec and it's always good for a laugh !

I love it

I'm not laughing at the subject matter but rather-

Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    did you eat any of those bluebag brownies from the girl scout bake sale?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Water? From the toilet? It doesn't have any electrolites.

I went through this years ago drinking water from a well on a farm in wisconsin. All I can say is, taking a deuce was more like taking a piss. And this went on for 2 weeks.
    Fate favors the prepared.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i wonder if that was steven tyler's inspiration for 'deuces are wild'...

It's a slugfest!
    Let me know when you get down below 100 lbs and I will wrestle you.....unless you smell like diarrhea...
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

Plasko
    I thought Giardia made delicious milk chocolate candy bars & other chocolate goodies

mtbr member
    First thing I bought when I moved into my house was an RO system. It's the only water I drink and the only stuff that goes into my Camelbak. I actually left my pack under the seat of my truck for a month one time, with some water still in it. No smell, nothing growing, just rinsed it out and filled it back up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by generic602
    I thought Giardia made delicious milk chocolate candy bars & other chocolate goodies
    That was my line!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I haven't drank tap water for many, many years. The water in my small desert town is horrible, it makes me sick. I don't know how people could possibly drink this water, I know I can't. I freeze my camelback pretty frequently, and wash it with soap and water, and air dry it. I wouldn't let mine not get cleaned for more than a week or two.

Members who have read this thread: 0