Thread: Doping?

Tucson, AZ

Doping?

Nice one. 4 years too late. Way to throw everyone else under the bus.

In the messages, which were first reported by The Wall Street Journal, Landis accused other top American cyclists on the Postal Service team, including Armstrong, of using performance-enhancing drugs and methods. Other cyclists named were current United States road racing national champion George Hincapie, three-time Tour of California champion Levi Leipheimer and five-time Arizona Endurance Series champion Chad Brown.

banned
    just shows you what a waste competitive sports are

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    just shows you what a waste competitive sports are
    Word. He spent $90,000 a year on his doping regimen, he said.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner

think of all the dank herb he could of bought

Scott in Tucson
    and five-time Arizona Endurance Series champion Chad Brown. [/I]
    I'd like to take this opportunity to admit to rampant doping with red 40 over the years of my endurance career.

I spent over $10 a year on my twizzlers regimen.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    I'd like to take this opportunity to admit to rampant doping with red 40 over the years of my endurance career.

I spent over $10 a year on my twizzlers regimen.
    Only $10? Dave C spends about 10 times that.

ride more, blog less
    think of all the dank herb he could of bought
    on the real!!!! mmmm 90k worth of dank tree, a dream come true
    i like these odds....

Screw Twizzlers, where can I get some of that Red 40 in injectable form?

Team Tortuga
    This type of approach worked out real well for Canseco in baseball.......

What a loser! When we all start worrying about ourselves and our own actions and consequences.

mtbr member

In the messages, which were first reported by The Wall Street Journal, Landis accused other top American cyclists on the Postal Service team, including Armstrong, of using performance-enhancing drugs and methods. Other cyclists named were current United States road racing national champion George Hincapie, three-time Tour of California champion Levi Leipheimer and five-time Arizona Endurance Series champion Chad Brown.
    To play Devil's advocate, would you rather not know that an American icon was taking PEDs? I'm not suggesting Lance has done them, but if he has, wouldn't you want to know it? I'm still just curious what Floyd is getting out of this.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

That is crazy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    To play Devil's advocate, would you rather not know that an American icon was taking PEDs? I'm not suggesting Lance has done them, but if he has, wouldn't you want to know it? I'm still just curious what Floyd is getting out of this.

I always just assume that any American icon dominating in sports is doped up.

Floyd is getting a sweet book deal by throwing everyone under the bus to support his sorry ass....not cool

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Probably just to show that he really had no advantage over other riders. Pullin straws. Oh ya, and a book deal!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Probably just to show that he really had no advantage over other riders. Pullin straws. Oh ya, and a book deal!
    Again, to play Devil's advocate: or maybe he needed to get it off his chest and/or felt cycling fans deserved to know the truth?

Regarding Canseco, the one thing to keep in mind: it appears he was telling the truth. Even if you disagree with Floyd naming names, wouldn't you want to know if Lance was doping?

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb21
    That is crazy.
    Crazy? That is the beginning. He spent $2 million fighting his innocence only to finally come clean.

banned
    Again, to play Devil's advocate: or maybe he needed to get it off his chest and/or felt cycling fans deserved to know the truth?

Regarding Canseco, the one thing to keep in mind: it appears he was telling the truth. Even if you disagree with Floyd naming names, wouldn't you want to know if Lance was doping?

If that was the case, why throw lance under the bus? Why not just say you doped?

mtbr member
    If that was the case, why throw lance under the bus? Why not just say you doped?
    Maybe he thinks Americans and cycling fans deserve to know the truth? Let's face it, if there was no Lance, their likely would be no Floyd. Maybe he feels guilty about that.

There might be a million reasons he did it, including a book deal. But I'll go back to my original question: wouldn't you want to know the truth? Assuming Floyd is telling the truth, does it make Lance any less guilty (or trustworthy) because Floyd's doing it for financial gain? Sure, think what you want about Floyd, but the bigger story IMO is that he's suggesting Lance doped.

banned
    Maybe he thinks Americans and cycling fans deserve to know the truth? Let's face it, if there was no Lance, their likely would be no Floyd. Maybe he feels guilty about that.

There might be a million reasons he did it, including a book deal. But I'll go back to my original question: wouldn't you want to know the truth? Assuming Floyd is telling the truth, does it make Lance any less guilty (or trustworthy) because Floyd's doing it for financial gain? Sure, think what you want about Floyd, but the bigger story IMO is that he's suggesting Lance doped.

Because I really could care less about who doped and who didn't and I don't trust or believe any of them.

mtbr member
    As prophet Daniel Tosh would say:

"I think pro-athletes should be forced to use steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create! Lets go! Anything that will make you run faster, jump higher! I have High-Definition TV! I want my athletes like my video games! Lets go! I could care less if you die at 40. You hate life after sports anyways. I'm doing you a favor."

mtbr member
    Because I really could care less about who doped and who didn't and I don't trust or believe any of them.
    I can guarantee that many, many, many do care.

banned
    I can guarantee that many, many, many do care.

Not sure how you (not YOU) can care so much about something or someone you never have met or never have had any interaction with.?

mtbr member
    We were talking about this at work this morning when Sportscenter was on. The question that we had was how much money ws he making at the time he was dropping 90k on the goods?

pedaller

So when are you coming "clean" Mr. Brown (as if that's your REAL name)?!!!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    As prophet Daniel Tosh would say:

"I think pro-athletes should be forced to use steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create! Lets go! Anything that will make you run faster, jump higher! I have High-Definition TV! I want my athletes like my video games! Lets go! I could care less if you die at 40. You hate life after sports anyways. I'm doing you a favor."
    This is an interesting statement. Although people get confused about why performance enhancing drugs are bad. Many steroids are simply substances that are in our bodies naturally, they are a way to get a lot more Testosterone or EPO or whatever into the body for the purpose of enhancing performance. Some people have more of these substances than others, so these drugs are a way to level the playing the playing field or sku it as the case maybe, in favor of the less gifted athlete. The physical dangers of most of these drugs is way over blown IMO, very few long term analysis have ever been done. What we do know is many athletes have been taking them for a long time. You can find examples of athletes dieing before their time, but it's the exception much more than the rule. The sporting establishment see's a need to demonize these drugs in order to keep the public in fear. (it's a conspiracy, whooo)

I'm no expert but I've had a bit education on the subject. My ex wife was a personal trainer and we knew a few meat heads back in the day.
    Last edited by surfndav; 05-20-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Rhino
    Landis beat me at the Whiskey 50 couple years ago. All this time I thought it was because he had gears and I didn't. Now I know the real truth.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Crazy? That is the beginning. He spent $2 million fighting his innocence only to finally come clean.

I would have kept the 2 mill and just sucked it up back then and taken my punishment.

mtbr member
    Not sure how you (not YOU) can care so much about something or someone you never have met or never have had any interaction with.?
    Then your comments do not surprise me.

banned
    Then your comments do not surprise me.

Don't get me wrong....Lance has a great story and I actually did read his book, but I'm not going to loose any sleep over if he did or didn't dope.

mtbr member
    Don't get me wrong....Lance has a great story and I actually did read his book, but I'm not going to loose any sleep over if he did or didn't dope.
    But look beyond his story. Lance is looked up to my millions: cyclists and cancer survivors to name just two groups. Just think what the implications are both for the cycling community, as well as the Livestrong Foundation (as sad as that is) if it turns out he did dope. It's really easy to say shrug your shoulders and say you don't care. But it will have an impact on a lot of people, some of whom I'm sure you know.

banned
    But look beyond his story. Lance is looked up to my millions: cyclists and cancer survivors to name just two groups. Just think what the implications are both for the cycling community, as well as the Livestrong Foundation (as sad as that is) if it turns out he did dope. It's really easy to say shrug your shoulders and say you don't care. But it will have an impact on a lot of people, some of whom I'm sure you know.
    That is what I am saying. How can you look up to something or someone who you really only get to know through the eyes of the media.?

A plethora of pinatas
    I would want to know if he did.

Lance kicked the crap out of everyone in the TDF for years. Most of the top riders that he was beating have be caught or admitted to dopping. So, Lance was the ONLY clean rider and he was beating all the others who were dopping? I think he is an awesome athlete, but not a God.

I do not think we will ever know the truth. There is too much money that is tied to Lance being clean for them to allow it to come out. Imagine the impact to the sport and all of his sponsors if it was found out that he dopped!
    Marty

banned
    Sep 2007
    So the question is Chad, what's it like under the bus?

I've ridden once, quite by accident on the same trail at the same time, with Dave Zabriski, and was a little anaerobic trying to keep up with him. But he did Tweet me to confirm what I suspected was him.

My thinking when he moved to L.A last October or thereabouts, was that he was going to train like a monster all winter long, because he really, really wants to win the overall at the Amgen TOC. With Lance out of the picture, the question is, can Levi hang on and get the overall win? Or can Zabriski hang on, and win the time trials Saturday in downtown LA and have his team mates protect him for the rest of Sunday? Sunday has a really crappy section of paved road that the riders will be going down, uber steep, twisty and crappy, crappy road conditions. I will be surprised if no one crashes on that downhill section on the south side of Westlake BLVD/ Decker Canyon/ highway 23.

mtbr member
    That is what I am saying. How can you look up to something or someone who you really only get to know through the eyes of the media.?
    When you read Lance's book, did you feel you had a better understanding of him? Do you think cancer survivors have a connection to Lance? As a cyclist, don't you experience the same highs and lows of riding a bike?

Not sure what you mean by "only get to know through the eyes of the media." Lance has gone out of his way to connect to us. I mean, he's got a friggin Twitter account. And if you've read any of it, you'd know he's not distancing himself from the common person. It's very easy to look up to (or down on) him, despite his success. And that said, if it turns our that he indeed did dope, it's going to have a dramatic effect on many.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    I would want to know if he did.

Lance kicked the crap out of everyone in the TDF for years. Most of the top riders that he was beating have be caught or admitted to dopping. So, Lance was the ONLY clean rider and he was beating all the others who were dopping? I think he is an awesome athlete, but not a God.
    This is exactly what I think Lance and the staunch Lance supports fail to understand. Lance has always been adamant that he's never doped. But surely he has to realize that there is a heck of a lot of circumstantial evidence, including his fellow riders. It's just a very difficult situation to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    I do not think we will ever know the truth. There is too much money that is tied to Lance being clean for them to allow it to come out. Imagine the impact to the sport and all of his sponsors if it was found out that he dopped!
    That's the really scary part, but you have to hope that the truth, positive or negative, will eventually come out. I mean, how many times has a cycling story been an above the fold story in the NYTs?

banned
    When you read Lance's book, did you feel you had a better understanding of him? Do you think cancer survivors have a connection to Lance? As a cyclist, don't you experience the same highs and lows of riding a bike?

Not sure what you mean by "only get to know through the eyes of the media." Lance has gone out of his way to connect to us. I mean, he's got a friggin Twitter account. And if you've read any of it, you'd know he's not distancing himself from the common person. It's very easy to look up to (or down on) him, despite his success. And that said, if it turns our that he indeed did dope, it's going to have a dramatic effect on many.

I wouldn't hold it against him either way. Id have more respect for somebody to come clean than to spend millions covering something up. We are human and everybody fcuks up..It's how you clean up you clean up your mess that counts.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't hold it against him either way. Id have more respect for somebody to come clean than to spend millions covering something up. We are human and everybody fcuks up..It's how you clean up you clean up your mess that counts.
    Are we talking about Lance? If so, and it's true that he did dope, then it's safe to say that 1) he spent the last 4 years not admitting he made a mistake, and 2) likely spent millions trying to cover it up. If it does come out that Lance doped, trust me, he's going to be the most scorn of the athletes that's been caught doping, mostly because of how much he gained from it.

banned
    Are we talking about Lance? If so, and it's true that he did dope, then it's safe to say that 1) he spent the last 4 years not admitting he made a mistake, and 2) likely spent millions trying to cover it up. If it does come out that Lance doped, trust me, he's going to be the most scorn of the athletes that's been caught doping, mostly because of how much he gained from it.
    No I wasn't talking about lance...I don't care either way at this point for the reason's you have already stated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am also going to have to agree that I do care whether or not they doped. They are ambassadores of the sport and the unfortunte reality is that most people don't know that much about cycling but they do know Lance Armstrong and he has brought a lot of good publicity and interest to the sport which is good for cycling and racing in general. If they were
    doping we should know about it, now if we ever will is a different story.

I think i feel bad in a way for Landis just like I felt sorry for Tyler Hamilton they both made bad choices and were amazing cyclists at one point or another and are going to go down in the history books in a very negative light and that is just too bad that's what happens, and it's not good for cycling and companies that would potentially invest in cycling teams or races to grow the sport. The media already thinks cyclists are a bunch of dopers because of the scandals on the past.

So I don't know, i guess the whole thing is upsetting but yeah I would rather him tell the truth then lie forever, but takinf peoples money for your lies is on a whole different level of wrong.

Chunky Monkey

Epo or

Quotes from one the best-however not my favorite;

From this site:

For more reading

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/edi.../0000091.shtml

"Anquetil was also open about using performance enhancing drugs. He did not hide the fact, and once said, “… it is impossible to win on mineral water alone.” He defended the rider’s privilege to use what “medicines” he needed to “treat” himself. After setting the hour record, one of several record setting rides, he refused a drug test on grounds that it was not dignified or professional. His record was disallowed and he was banished from the French National Cycling Team, never to be reinstated. The affair resulted in fisticuffs between his manager and French officials and may have changed the face of cycling forever. Anquetil tried to make what was happening the accepted norm, or at least, to not conceal it. The other top professionals saw him crucified in the press for it, and they took note. The use of performance enhancing drugs became a professional confidentiality."

This was many years ago and not much has changed since sadly because it is still driven by big money.....Just say'in nothing new.

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

My other ride is your mom

Bull$h!t.....it's how you answer the questions to Oprah, Dr. Phil and Katie Kouric during the clean up that counts.....extra points for finding religion in the process.

What I find really disturbing in all of this is the vehemence to which he fought against the charges afterwards. It really call into question any defense that an innocent person might provide in the future. Furthermore, this kind of skepticism that breeds in our modern culture from this type of behavior is one that contributes to folks being presumed guilty before they are proved innocent.

I know I'm coming at this from an childlike/altruistic point of view....but really.....when you get caught with something as precise as an established chemistry titration exercise, there's really not much to argue here except just how low one can go during the tour of denial.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Bull$h!t.....it's how you answer the questions to Oprah, Dr. Phil and Katie Kouric during the clean up that counts.....extra points for finding religion in the process.

What I find really disturbing in all of this is the vehemence to which he fought against the charges afterwards. It really call into question any defense that an innocent person might provide in the future. Furthermore, this kind of skepticism that breeds in our modern culture from this type of behavior is one that contributes to folks being presumed guilty before they are proved innocent.

I know I'm coming at this from an childlike/altruistic point of view....but really.....when you get caught with something as precise as an established chemistry titration exercise, there's really not much to argue here except just how low one can go during the tour of denial.
    It really brings attention to the ethics, morals, behavior and laws that our society has taken on this past generation. I've noticed there seems to be an overall mentality among many nowadays that it's OK to do what you want to do, when you want to do, regardless if it's legal or not. Worry about it later, if you get caught. By the time you get caught, you've been doing it so long, you justify that it should be legalized, or decriminalized, despite the laws on the books. Does doing something illegal long enough make it right in societies eyes, or just yours, a means of justifying your criminal behavior?

Myself, I hold no illusion, I think Lance has doped. He's just smart enough so far to have evaded getting caught at it, and there has indeed been more than enough money in it for him to take the steps necessary to preserve his crown. Business is business, greed will always get in the way of honesty, every time. The goal of every competitor is to find the best cheat without getting caught.

Myself, I gotta go now, to get my spot on the road to watch the AMGEN Tour of Dopers in person.

Members who have read this thread: 0