Don't listen to yetisurly, YuriB, or Konapdlr...- Mtbr.com
    Dirty Monkey

Don't listen to yetisurly, YuriB, or Konapdlr...

Otherwise, if you do, you'll end up with another bike! Through a series of pm's, emails, and phone calls, all three of them said the same thing, when I aksed about a 'cross bike. Bianchi San Jose. Singlespeed, flip-flop hub, free/fixed. Got a set of spd to put on it... So, because I listened to them, (see, gotta place blame somewhere!), and no one that I have to answer to at home, this is now bike #7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "May The Schwartz Be With You!"

i like cheese.
    looks sweet.

must be something in the water...
    as soon as I get a brake hanger for the headset my fixed surly crosscheck will be done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That is one sweet bike! Mine came from the realization that my (then) new Klein road bike would not make for a good commuter. Leaving it locked up at a store, the gym or at work was just begging for it to get stolen or have something bad happen to it.

Yurisurly is not to be trusted.

Here is my ghettocross Nishiki. I've knocked out a couple centuries on it, and with 44/16 gears it makes climbing the Summit road on Somo challenging, but do-able.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    Otherwise, if you do, you'll end up with another bike! Through a series of pm's, emails, and phone calls, all three of them said the same thing, when I aksed about a 'cross bike. Bianchi San Jose. Singlespeed, flip-flop hub, free/fixed. Got a set of spd to put on it... So, because I listened to them, (see, gotta place blame somewhere!), and no one that I have to answer to at home, this is now bike #7

Occidental Tourist
    Looks good. I like the green
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey, can I borrow your bike?

Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Looks good. I like the green

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Hey, can I borrow your bike?
    Mine or Yuri's? There's no one on this forum ('cept for Sam!) that's as short as me!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was thinking Yuris. He owes me. I loaned him one (or was it 2) of my 29ers when he was trying it out.

If my frame ever breaks, I want your bike!

Mine or Yuri's? There's no one on this forum ('cept for Sam!) that's as short as me!!!

Large wheels & one gear
    Nice Mike!
    7 bikes! You suck!
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

mtbr member

doh!

BTW, cool ride!

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    I was thinking Yuris.
    You paying for shipping?
    We had a good ride on Sat.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    doh!

BTW, cool ride!
    Oh contrare', my good man...you could have first (and only) dibs on borrowing it, if you were so inclined!

Thanks, btw!

mtbr member
    Oh contrare', my good man...you could have first (and only) dibs on borrowing it, if you were so inclined!

Thanks, btw!
    coolio!

mtbr member
    Very nice. I'm considering this bike and the volpe right now. What type of riding do you do that made you decide to go SS over gears?

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by theFuzz
    Very nice. I'm considering this bike and the volpe right now. What type of riding do you do that made you decide to go SS over gears?
    Very good question and consideration. I'm all over the place. Titus Motolite and Quasimoto, Salsa El Mariachi SS, mostly those 3 got a lot of use this summer. Rocky Mountain RMX, sadly for reasons not much use. Oh, and 2 beach cruisers. So why SS instead of gears for this one? My commute will only be 13 miles, level, as is basically all of Phx area, more less. Canal roads, can get some good mileage on it. And far from that level, but funboarder posted doing centuries on his! So, didn't really think that gears, for the extra $$, would be necessary. I do think, while not century-type stuff, this bike will be good for knocking off some miles, with SS. And who knows, with the flip-flop hub, may even get the cahonas (?) to try fixed!

sprocket
    Very good question and consideration. I'm all over the place. Titus Motolite and Quasimoto, Salsa El Mariachi SS, mostly those 3 got a lot of use this summer. Rocky Mountain RMX, sadly for reasons not much use. Oh, and 2 beach cruisers. So why SS instead of gears for this one? My commute will only be 13 miles, level, as is basically all of Phx area, more less. Canal roads, can get some good mileage on it. And far from that level, but funboarder posted doing centuries on his! So, didn't really think that gears, for the extra $$, would be necessary. I do think, while not century-type stuff, this bike will be good for knocking off some miles, with SS. And who knows, with the flip-flop hub, may even get the cahonas (?) to try fixed!
    go fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Let me expose my inner noobness.....what is fixed gear?

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    Let me expose my inner noobness.....what is fixed gear?
    Ah, no worries. Fixed gear...means you're crazy! Seriously, no freewheel. The cog is attached, and if the wheel turns, so turns the cog, and crankset, etc. It is constant pedal while the bike moves. A pure fixed gear bike has no brakes, except the one provided by the back pressure of your legs

One side of this bike has a 17t freewheel cog, the other a 16t fixed, hence flip-flop. Take the wheel off, turn it around, instant conversion.

Ask me how...

Good looking SJ..

I recently got a SJ for commuting here in Tucson, love the SS.. mine is the Panty Blue!

BTW - if you want to gear it up, Sheldon Brown has set up SJs with an internal gear rear hub for 8speed cruising.

Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Q

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    go fixed.
    lose the brake newb

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    lose the brake newb
    I was riding fixed gear well before you were suckling on your mommies teet. and quit flaunting your kick-arse ride. besides, safety takes precedence over wannabe stylistic wants.

meow
    Sweet bike Mike! You need a bigger place to store all your rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    *For me* the biggest concern with fixed gear off-road (if you're clipped in), is the fact that you can not coast. If you're trying to 'level' your pedals to coast through a rock garden, its not going to happen (think broken toes). As the back wheel turns your foot will get brought down by the pedals. A good fixed gear rider (not me) can shift their weight and slip the back tire to keep the pedals where they want them. The ones that I've met who've mastered fixie riding, prefer it. Myself, coasting is my friend.

A true fixie (track bike) doesn't have brakes, but if you lose the chain for whatever reason, you lose your ability to stop, short of jumping off the bike.

Ah, no worries. Fixed gear...means you're crazy! Seriously, no freewheel. The cog is attached, and if the wheel turns, so turns the cog, and crankset, etc. It is constant pedal while the bike moves. A pure fixed gear bike has no brakes, except the one provided by the back pressure of your legs

One side of this bike has a 17t freewheel cog, the other a 16t fixed, hence flip-flop. Take the wheel off, turn it around, instant conversion.

Members who have read this thread: 0