Doing the whole BCT in a day, need info.- Mtbr.com
    Carnivore

Doing the whole BCT in a day, need info.

I've done a couple of sections of the Black Canyon Trail and have enjoyed it so much I want to do the whole thing in a day. I've heard the section south of Table mesa is not worth doing but not why. Is it just boring or a bad trail? Are there any really confusing parts or is it well signed? I have Dale's maps.

I plan to go N. to S. since that gives me about 4000' more downhill than uphill overall. If I like it I will do it the other way next time. I don't have any experience with mtb rides this long so I intend for this to be a learning experience in pacing, eating and hydration. Hopefully I won't bonk too badly. I naturally like to ride about 85-95% of my max aerobic capacity most of the time so it will be hard to take it easy early.

Has anybody here done the whole thing in a day? How was it and how long did it take? The sections I've done seem really nice. I've done from Old Sycamore Hwy. to Bumble Bee trail head and part of the section south of Rock Springs. I figure 8-10 hours ought to be enough. Hoping to do it tomorrow or Sunday if the weather holds out.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    South of Table Mesa is fun and I think worth doing. Its the section between EH TH and Carefree Hwy that is pretty boring. I think thats the section people are talking about.

Let us know how you do.

Good luck.

Tiffany

Carnivore
    Thanks. That's what I suspected. Given the time and energy I'll go ahead and do the boring stuff just to say I did it all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    A couple of us did it in early spring. Make sure you take plenty of water or a purifier, we ran out and luckily we had one and had to get water at one of the river crossings before "Rock Springs", so refilling our camelback and water bottles took a bit of time. We weren't out to beat any speed records but keeping a good pace. Stopping to refuel and hydrate.

Stats: from Hwy 69 to Rock Springs = 38 miles
    4 riders
    Total time: 6 hours ish
    Ride time: 5.5 hours ish

No mechanicals or blowouts.....stopping to take pictures as well.

A fun ride, will do it again for sure.

mtbr member
    I thought the BCT in total was 80+ miles. Couldn't see anyone actually doing that in one day, but I am a newb
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    I wish I could join you, don't think I am ready for A C2C though on the BCT.

Ahhh the pain....
    GM, several posts on the topic in the last month or so. I did the ride from Hwy 69 to EH with 2 others back in April...we kept the pace up and it took us 9 hours(62 miles). For water, the black canyon is dry, but the 1st two Agua Fria crossings have running water. The last crossing on the west side of the pan loop is dry. Another option would be to stash some water at BB on your way up. Just be sure you have plenty...
    I have a gpx file if you need it...just send me a PM. Or in one of the prior posts someone posted a link to my gpx file.

BTW, although it is on average downhill, there are some healthy climbs in the last 24 miles that take their toll on tired legs. Pace yourself and be sure to bring plenty of food. It's a great ride

I'm planning to do a S to N, camp, then N to S in about a month...looking forward to it!

Ray

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What is EH, TH, and BB?

Thanks.

Carnivore
    Thanks for the info guys. Looks like there are three of us Prescott guys leaving Old Sycamore at 7 am. I may have our shuttle driver (a.k.a. my wife) stash some water at Bumble Bee TH for us but I think we have a filter coming. Could be a real adventure, definitely will be fun.

Ray, That sounds like a good idea. Post up the date and maybe we can meet you somewhere along the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Not a 4000 foot advantage from the north

The north end of BCT is about 3000' and the south end is about 2000' so you aren't going to get a 4000 foot advantage starting from the north. Both directions are good, but if you have to choose a direction, N to S does have a minor advantage.

I did the full (or nearly full) BCT twice in two days last January. I didn't have a shuttle, so I did the north end (starting off Crown King road near Hidden Treasure Mine) down to Rock Springs as an out-and-back one day. Then did the south end from the parking area off New River Road (I forget the trailhead name) up to Rock Springs and back the second day.

Both days were about 47 miles, 6.5 hours and 6000 feet of climbing looking at my Topofusion files.

I didn't bother with the section south of New River Rd, as I'd also heard that wasn't too good.

Ahhh the pain....
    IM, you missed the newest part of the trail and the highest elevation. The trail at Hwy 69 (or old sycamore rd) is about 4000kft elevation. Emery Hendersen off New River Rd is about 1850 ft elevation. There's a whole lot of ups and downs between, tallying up 6000ft of climbing (per Garmin connect)(N2S). If you do it the other way(S2N), you'll accumulate 8000ft of climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    ... tallying up 6000ft of climbing (per Garmin connect)(N2S). If you do it the other way(S2N), you'll accumulate 8000ft of climbing.
    That's a lot of climbing and especially in one day. My hat goes off to you and hope one day to be able to conquer that
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

Carnivore
    I just got home from the BCT We got a late (over an hour) then slow herky jerky start with lots of changing clothes etc. It was 36 degrees when we left Old Sycamore Hwy. I think it took over 2 hours to do the first 10 miles. We took it pretty easy for the fist 20+ miles too so we got fairly behind schedule.

There were LOTS of horses on the Treasure mine to Bumble Bee section. My wife stashed some water and food for us at the Bumble Bee trail head which was nice and after refueling we left there around noon. We made it to the river crossing below The Rock Springs trail head around 2 pm. We spent some time there eating and pumping water. We arrived at Table Mesa around 4:30 where my wife was waiting with the kids. They had been riding from EH trail head but drove around to TM to meet us. Paul and Micah decided to bail there but I was determined to do the whole thing so I took off around 4:40 and headed South. I had to put on a head lamp and slow way down when it got dark and arrived at EH trail head around 6:20. They were all there but I told them to go get something to eat 'cause I was going to ride in the dark to Hwy 74. I duct taped a couple Wal Mart head lamps to my bars and set off around 6:40. That last section of trail was not too interesting but route finding in the dark and with jeep roads all over the place kept me on my toes. In some places it was well marked and others I had to use The Force to figure out which way to go. I made it to the AZ Game and Fish Dept. parking lot about 7:20. My GPS said 68.5 miles with a moving average of only 7.2 mph. I think the whole trip, including over 2 hrs of stopped time, took over 11 hrs. According to my GPS I did 5500' of climbing. Did not get total descending.

I learned a lot from this ride. First, next time I will make sure my partners show up on time and ready to ride! Definitely spend less time stopped too. I tried my best to take it slower than I usually do. On hills that I would normally have done in my middle chain ring I instead downshifted early and just spun my way up. I tried not to go anaerobic on any climbs even short ones. I actually felt pretty strong towards the end. It was surprising to find that the stock seat (that resembles a plastic ping pong paddle) on my Giant Anthem X 29er wasn't too bad until the end when I did very little standing while trying not to crash in the dark. I don't think it would work too well for anything longer.

Overall it was a really fun ride and I'm surprisingly not too tired. I actually enjoy doing things like this in the dark because it forces me to concentrate so much I can really get in a zone.
    Last edited by gila monster; 11-20-2011 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow! Nice ride.

mtbr member
    That sounds like an awesome journey. I did some of Little Pan Loop yesterday. It was pretty cold...quite a contrast from when I was riding the trail last summer.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice job Gila Monster! Good to see fellow P-Towners take the challenge. There are a few of us that have talked about doing it soon...

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice work GM...and kudos to you for doing the full-meal-deal. Gotta appreciate that kind of determination!

Carnivore
    What I lack in conditioning, skill and speed I make up for in tenacity. Now that I've done it all the way I won't do that last 6 miles again though. Well, until they add some more to the top end maybe.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    I just got home from the BCT We got a late (over an hour) then slow herky jerky start with lots of changing clothes etc. It was 36 degrees when we left Old Sycamore Hwy. I think it took over 2 hours to do the first 10 miles. We took it pretty easy for the fist 20+ miles too so we got fairly behind schedule.

There were LOTS of horses on the Treasure mine to Bumble Bee section. My wife stashed some water and food for us at the Bumble Bee trail head which was nice and after refueling we left there around noon. We made it to the river crossing below The Rock Springs trail head around 2 pm. We spent some time there eating and pumping water. We arrived at Table Mesa around 4:30 where my wife was waiting with the kids. They had been riding from EH trail head but drove around to TM to meet us. Paul and Micah decided to bail there but I was determined to do the whole thing so I took off around 4:40 and headed South. I had to put on a head lamp and slow way down when it got dark and arrived at EH trail head around 6:20. They were all there but I told them to go get something to eat 'cause I was going to ride in the dark to Hwy 74. I duct taped a couple Wal Mart head lamps to my bars and set off around 6:40. That last section of trail was not too interesting but route finding in the dark and with jeep roads all over the place kept me on my toes. In some places it was well marked and others I had to use The Force to figure out which way to go. I made it to the AZ Game and Fish Dept. parking lot about 7:20. My GPS said 68.5 miles with a moving average of only 7.2 mph. I think the whole trip, including over 2 hrs of stopped time, took over 11 hrs. According to my GPS I did 5500' of climbing. Did not get total descending.

I learned a lot from this ride. First, next time I will make sure my partners show up on time and ready to ride! Definitely spend less time stopped too. I tried my best to take it slower than I usually do. On hills that I would normally have done in my middle chain ring I instead downshifted early and just spun my way up. I tried not to go anaerobic on any climbs even short ones. I actually felt pretty strong towards the end. It was surprising to find that the stock seat (that resembles a plastic ping pong paddle) on my Giant Anthem X 29er wasn't too bad until the end when I did very little standing while trying not to crash in the dark. I don't think it would work too well for anything longer.

Overall it was a really fun ride and I'm surprisingly not too tired. I actually enjoy doing things like this in the dark because it forces me to concentrate so much I can really get in a zone.
    Holy crap, and that's a good time. Here I was feeling all happy because I just finished a 40 mile ride on the BCT today and I see this. I was hurting something bad by mile 35 and you go and do 68. great job, you inspired me to try it one day but I'm not in that good of shape for 68 on BCT yet.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Carnivore
    Taco Beer,

Thanks for the compliments but I'm not it great shape either, I just fake it with enthusiasm. I'm 49 years old and have just recently started riding mtbs again in April after many years off. My training for this consisted of two short BCT rides with my wife and kids and a few local rides around Prescott in the last three weeks. I just bought this bike in May but in July I hurt my back (dirt bike crash) and missed 3 months of riding. BCT just seemed like a worthy objective so I did it. I just took it easy so I'd have something left at the end. Riding with my kids helped me realize how much less tired I get at a slower pace. Raybum had a much faster time I think.

Ahhh the pain....
    GM, major kudos to you for the ride. I'm 46 and although I feel like I'm in pretty good shape and can climb with the best of them (except freaks of nature like Scott Morris(topofusion author, endurance god, and U of A grad(!)), the mental toughness you need to have for long rides is something you displayed well. If there was a car there waiting for me at EH, I'd probably have called it a day!
    I do lots of rides from 30-70 miles and mental toughness is as important as physical conditioning. I find that I hit energy highs and lows throughout a good 8-10 hour ride and getting through those lows takes some mental toughness(and good hydration/fueling). Those lows are what make people bail. My personal rule is to not bail unless my safety is in danger. In the end, it makes you a stronger rider, both physically and mentally.
    BCT can be a bit deceiving; There's so much singletrack that winds around the geographic features and goes up and down into washes, that speeds are generally slower. The climbs aren't brutal like the McDowells, but on a 40+ mile ride, they take their toll. It's my favorite trail system in the valley for good, long rides. Can't wait until we get more trail north of Hwy69...that isn't overgrown with cat claw!

Carnivore
    Ray,

Like I said in my original post I've never done a mtb ride even half this long but I have always enjoyed pushing myself physically. The weird thing is I get kind of a mental high when I start to get tired and suffer a little. For some reason I get satisfaction from pushing on when I'm tired and hurting. This ride really wasn't that bad. I could feel that I had lost some strength towards 40 mile mark but I was far from suffering. After I took off on my own from Table Mesa I was felling really good and just kept thinking how I was going to convince the rest of the crew to let me keep going all the way to Hwy 74 in the dark. They tried to talk me out of even doing the section S. of Table Mesa but I felt way too good to quit and wanted to keep the buzz going. I did about the last 4 miles of that by headlamp and it was OK I just had to slow down. Fortunately my wife understands me and knew I would want to keep going so when I got to EH trail head my kids came running up and asked if I was going to keep going. She expected it. Having never done that part of the route before gave me a little concern but I've done lots of night hiking and caving so I figured if I got off route I could eventually find my way to the Hwy.

Pushing on when other people want to bail gives me some sick ego boost I guess. When I see the other guys are dragging I want to go harder even though I'm probably hurting just as bad. I've done lots of all day epic hikes and almost never make it back in the daylight. I used to get great satisfaction from burning off guys half my age simply by outlasting and out suffering them. Generally the longer the event the better I do but these 24 hr. mtb races look pretty competitive. There's no way I could keep up those average speeds that long.

At my age now I've accepted that I'm just not ever going to be as fast or strong as most of the guys out there doing this stuff so it is easier not to care how I perform in comparison to others but I still like seeing what I can do and I still like the highs you mention when doing these kinds of endurance activities. I'm thinking about doing the McDowell 60 next month but that course might blow me up. There is some serious climbing. I've never ridden any of those trails but I used to rock climb at Tom's Thumb back in the day and it was a butt kicken' hike. I could see myself bonking and not finishing that ride if I go too hard.

mtbr member
    Is the McDowell 60 a race?

Carnivore
    It's a ride not a race but I'm sure there will be some competition. Look up Arizona Endurance Series.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    It's a ride not a race but I'm sure there will be some competition. Look up Arizona Endurance Series.
    Come on out for the McD60 & ride with a few of us at the back of the pack!! Sounds like we ride in similar fashion, DFL>DNF anyday. By now I should just get a 'Trailsweeper' name plate for the back of my jersey. Like Raybum said, I won't quit unless it's a safety issue.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Carnivore
    I haven't done any AES rides and have been worried about how competitive the rides might be. Not that I'm worried about being first but I'd hate to show up for a ride and find that the entire group is way faster. My M. O. is to just keep riding and keep stops short. I have a hard time getting going again after a long stop. Also I need to ride my pace. If I try to keep up with faster guys I'll blow up. I just don't have much base mileage and definitely don't have much power...or skill.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I haven't done any AES rides and have been worried about how competitive the rides might be. Not that I'm worried about being first but I'd hate to show up for a ride and find that the entire group is way faster. My M. O. is to just keep riding and keep stops short. I have a hard time getting going again after a long stop. Also I need to ride my pace. If I try to keep up with faster guys I'll blow up. I just don't have much base mileage and definitely don't have much power...or skill.
    To give you an idea of our approach, Dag Nabbit and I, we let the pack go & then just ride our ride. We stop, eat, take pics, whatever, just get to the finish line. That's why I like the AES events, they are really mellow, no number plates, no awards, no support, just nametags!! Perfect. We did the Kentucky Camp ride on Sat., opted for the 46 mile course and finished last as usual in 8 hours 15 minutes. Meet & BS with other riders at the finish while enjoying a cold one and called it a day.

If you can knock out the BCT in one day, you'll be fine. I know I won't be the only one doing some HAB up Tom's Thumb, but that's all part of the adventure. Plus, the McD60 looks to be a good event to jump in on, there's plenty of bail options if needed.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow, this is incredible. I might have to give this a shot this spring.

Longest ride I have done in the mountains here was 35 miles (Show Low) and I was spent. lol

Ahhh the pain....
    Last years McD60 (which was more like 50) was my first AES ride(race). Although most of the planned events are "races", it's entirely up to you whether you race or not. Seems like many are in a race against themselves to beat the prior year. Regardless, it does not resemble a sanctioned race in the least. Sure, there are the type "A" folks that can't help but beat themselves to a pulp (admittedly, I'm probably in that group), there are lots that do the ride for the pure enjoyment of riding. That's the great thing about these rides...the only pressure is what you put on yourself.
    As Freeskier said, this is ride with plenty of bailouts if you feel like you're not up for the whole enchilada. However, unless safety is an issue, there is no reason for a DNF. Just go out, hydrate, eat, and ride smart and there's no reason you can't do it!

Carnivore
    All right I'm in for the McDowell 60.

Got a suspension fork

Well done! Just this morning I decided I need to do this same ride - do you have a gpx file that I could look at by chance?
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Great Job!! any chance of that .gpx file?
    I would have to do it in two segments.

Old and Slow
    Two of us from Prescott just rode the BCT on Sunday. Old Sycamore to Gloriana Mine.
    Here is the story.
    Getting out there one day at a time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    NIce job Gila Monster and everyone else who's done this. Long rides like that are awesome, eh? This ride is high on my list right now! Anybody interested in day tripping the whole BCT anytime soon? I'm in Sedona right now checking this place out. Wx is getting nicer. I'd love to do it ANYTIME soon.

Hopefully I'll hear from someone soon. cheers

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bertsabiker View Post
    Long rides like that are awesome, eh?
    Yes and yes.

Tucson, AZ
    I think the whole trip, including over 2 hrs of stopped time, took over 11 hrs. According to my GPS I did 5500' of climbing. Did not get total descending.
    One word for you enduro stud APC.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfPrescott View Post
    Two of us from Prescott just rode the BCT on Sunday. Old Sycamore to Gloriana Mine.
    Here is the story.
    Heh, I melted a tire the same way too, but at least it was after the ride! Those dang clown tires are just too big for their own good sometimes.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    My buddy and I are talking about doing this very soon! I can't decide if I want to do it in a day or make it an overnight, though. Thanks for sharing your trip!
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am highly interested in doing this ride in full also. I am an avid road rider (longest ride 157 miles) and have the endurance. Is there any technical sections throughout this trail? I would prefer to go with some other more experienced riders. Any body interested?

mtbr member
    Hey VFF,

First mtb ride or do you have mtb experience? Just asking since I would not recommend this trail to a new rider. The trail is not technical but there are sections with some exposure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt View Post
    Hey VFF,

First mtb ride or do you have mtb experience? Just asking since I would not recommend this trail to a new rider. The trail is not technical but there are sections with some exposure.
    Well it's been about about two years since I have been offroad (other bike was stolen). But I am sure with a few rides under my belt I could tackle it.

Carnivore
    There are a very few sections that are truly technical like the 100 feet before you get down to the river just north of Rock Springs (if you are going S-N) but you can just get off and walk that then jump on and keep going. 99.9% is just riding along on nice ST or easy jeep road with a few short rocky sections here and there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So with the exceptions of a few sections it sounds BOB friendly?

Carnivore
    Bob?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    BOB trailer or is on the bike a better solution?

Carnivore
    I think I'd put it on the bike. I've never used a BOB but there are lots of tight turns around rocks etc.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of taking Thursday off from working and doing the whole trail from 69 to Carefree Highway but if Gila Monster already did it, I guess the novelty wouldn't be there anymore?

Ahhh the pain....
    BCTJ...69 to EH has been done by lots....69 to Carefree Hwy by fewer (just because those last 6 miles kinda blow). If you wanna be a real pioneer, do Orme Rd to Carefree Hwy...that would really be the full meal deal...start early though...I'll bet it;s a 10 hour day at a good pace.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by vff24 View Post
    So with the exceptions of a few sections it sounds BOB friendly?
    No...not BOB friendly. Go with a bikepacking setup instead.

Just another half mile...
    Orme to Carefree would be a big day, close to 79 miles! So when are you are you going to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    BCTJ...69 to EH has been done by lots....69 to Carefree Hwy by fewer (just because those last 6 miles kinda blow). If you wanna be a real pioneer, do Orme Rd to Carefree Hwy...that would really be the full meal deal...start early though...I'll bet it;s a 10 hour day at a good pace.

Carnivore
    It wasn't that hard really. Sedona BFL was harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanyonTrailJunkie View Post
    I was thinking of taking Thursday off from working and doing the whole trail from 69 to Carefree Highway but if Gila Monster already did it, I guess the novelty wouldn't be there anymore?
    I would be all over this if I wasn't stuck at work.

If anyone is interested in tackling this on a Sunday or Monday I would be game....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Orme to Carefree would be a big day, close to 79 miles! So when are you are you going to do it?
    It sounds like an awesome ride but looking at the map today, I could hardly make out where the trail begins at Orme Road. Also, it sounds like that area is covered in cat claw and its easy to get lost??

mtbr member
    I would be all over this if I wasn't stuck at work.

If anyone is interested in tackling this on a Sunday or Monday I would be game....
    You can't go on Thursday or Friday?

Just another half mile...
    To access the BCT from Orme road, take FR 68 south to FR 9063B then to FR 9655. The singletrack starts off of FR 9655, which is marked by a little cairne. The juction of FR 68B and Orme Road is just north of MP 7 on Orme road as shown on the MAP. If you can read a map, you shouldn't get lost. The cow trails my take you on a wrong route, but after the first low bush you will know you are on the wrong trail. The trail does get faint north and south of the gate north of M72. If you loose the trail in this area, look for the big steel gate along a robust barbed wire fence. When I scouted the trail out, all I had was a map that showed the general route of the trail and was able to find my way. With the more detailed map, people shouldn't get lost. Famous last words. Yes there is cat claw, and you will bleed a little. My solution was to wear leg armor and my wife wore nylon gators from REI. There are lots of cacti up there, tubless with Stans or slim tubes area a must.

It sounds like an awesome ride but looking at the map today, I could hardly make out where the trail begins at Orme Road. Also, it sounds like that area is covered in cat claw and its easy to get lost??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can't go on Thursday or Friday?
    I could but I would need more notice then a few days...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I could but I would need more notice then a few days...
    I think there's still room on the 6am shuttle from Emory Henderson TH, we're going up to Hwy69 back to EH, 62 miles.

More info near the end of this: BCT shuttle
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I think there's still room on the 6am shuttle from Emory Henderson TH, we're going up to Hwy69 back to EH, 62 miles.

More info near the end of this: BCT shuttle
    Too short of notice. I have the kids bday bash that day. I will defiantly arrange for the next one.