MTBR Mafia

Does anyone ride later?

every scheduled ride is at like 5:30 and just got in bed by then so i was wondering if anyone rides later morning, or daytime, or evenings before dark. come on the heats not that bad.
    All Mountain was so 2005

Yup
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    every scheduled ride is at like 5:30 and just got in bed by then so i was wondering if anyone rides later morning, or daytime, or evenings before dark. come on the heats not that bad.
    SoMo, Thursday, 5:20 pm

MTBR Mafia
    im there. what trail
    All Mountain was so 2005

Saucy Size
    Did you happen to read that someone DIED in less heat than this just a couple weeks ago?

Honestly "cdub", it seems like every time you open your mouth you spew inaccurate and potentially dangerous "advice". Yes, the heat is "that bad". Yes, the National Trail is dangerous enough that a newbie probably shouldn't be up there by themselves.

You're not breaking the terms of service so I won't ban you or delete your ill-considered threads. What I can do is make sure nobody falls for what you're trying to pass off as useful information.

Cool your jets, kid, and start listening to advice from folks who have actually spent some years at this. I'd like you to be part of this group but I'm not thrilled with your information so far.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

MTBR Mafia
    ok well im just saying i have ridden national and telegraph and every other trail on SoMo in the middle of the summer. i dont overheat and im not going to die. i do respect your advice and will take it into consideration. but i guess your calling me a nub when i have been riding my whole life so not really sure where you got that info.

but anyway, thanks to Paul's advice, no one please respond to this thread because i will continue to ride solo during the day and enjoy myself. oh and i get a tan too. lol
    All Mountain was so 2005

Lurky Lou
    I would say that the heat is bad for people that aren't used to going out in it. When I was 18-19 I would ride when it was 110. It didn't really bother me. I'm now 30 and I don't even consider riding past 9am.

I agree that if you haven't ridden in that kind of heat, you prolly shouldn't start by going on a 1-2 hour ride.

Yup
    im there. what trail
    pima canyon parking lot. well hydrated. up mormon, national, then back down.

cheers

Keep'n it real
    I agree with CDUB - it's not that bad - as long as you are 'acclamated'. I ride every Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30 to dark. And as long as I am hydrated and in decent shape, I do fine. I know my limits and I ride slower in the summer, but I will not let living in the desert keep me contained to the inside during daylight hours.

MTBR Mafia
    donkey it says you have 0 posts. how is that possible?
    anyway i just now got back from a ride on SoMo. i left with one water bottle so i didnt get funky tan lines from my camel pack. i pushed hard this time and i guess i kinda went to hard. i ran out o water half way through and i had to stop twice to regain my vision. it was weird i like couldnt focus my eyes. but past that and being really thirsty, oh and the cactus i hit, it was a pleasurable ride. and i am going again tommorow and prbably the next day. plus there was not one slow noob on the trail who wouldnt move out of my way as commonly happens if i go earlier. oh wait i am a noob according to some
    All Mountain was so 2005

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    cdub: You're constantly informing us how great a rider you are. We get it. I know it's hard at your age (If I'm reading your correctly, I guess you're 15 or 16) to be self-reflective, but perhaps a new attitude would influence more folks to want to ride with you.

Just a thought.

With that said, I still ride in the heat and I'm 37 years old. I take a lot of water and work at a comfortable pace, but I still try to get out and ride. I make sure my family knows specifically where I'm at and when I plan to return. And I realize -- at some level -- though I'm fit and acclimated to the heat, I am taking a health risk by exposing myself to these temperatures.
    d

Keep'n it real
    The previous post was my first - so it should say 1 post (now 2 posts). I actually see a lot of riders when I head out, although not as many as early weekend rides. last night on t-100 there were at least a dozen other bikers on the trails (and no hikers) - so not everyone rides early.

I do know that I always bring more than enough water and even then I still hit the occasional cactus

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Mouth

I do know that I always bring more than enough water and even then I still hit the occasional cactus

ya those cacti seem to be everywhere lately. i think thats the second one i hit in three rides.
    All Mountain was so 2005

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    cdub: You're constantly informing us how great a rider you are. We get it. I know it's hard at your age (If I'm reading your correctly, I guess you're 15 or 16) to be self-reflective, but perhaps a new attitude would influence more folks to want to ride with you.
    d
    ok, ok, i see your point. i am 16 and i dont know why but i just hate it when people call me a noob. its not like i am one to never swallow my pride and stuff but i just hate that for some reason. if i offended or scared you i am sorry and i must admit i am not as blatant, no pun intended, on the trails as i am on my computer. i know pretty much everyone is different on the comp then on the trails and i am no exception. again i am really not intimidating or scare riders i just do not appreciated being called a nub when none of you know me.

anyways,
    i am glad to hear i am not the only one riding at these times and i really hope to see some of you out on the trails.
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Night Ride Instead

The heat can be tough to ride in if you're not used to it but there is an alternative... Buy a light and go night riding. It's great and makes even a fairly boring trail seem interesting. We post weekly night rides and everyone is welcome. www.mtbaz.net

Riding in the heat just makes me tired so I opt to down a Red Bull and grab the single speed when the Sun disappears. I've never been sunburned during a night ride.. Now that's gota be woth something...

Cheers,

mtbr member
    ok well im just saying i have ridden national and telegraph and every other trail on SoMo in the middle of the summer. i dont overheat and im not going to die. i do respect your advice and will take it into consideration. but i guess your calling me a nub when i have been riding my whole life so not really sure where you got that info.

but anyway, thanks to Paul's advice, no one please respond to this thread because i will continue to ride solo during the day and enjoy myself. oh and i get a tan too. lol
    I think what Paul is trying to say is, while the chances of somebody who is acclimated to the heat and takes the extra precautions (stays hydrated, take breaks when feeling fatigued, and geneally being smart) dying is slim, somebody *not* acclimated, etc. my interpret your comment as "well, it's a dry heat, so you'll be okay." And while you may thumb your nose at those not willing to take the risk, it is dangerous for some to bike in the middle of the day when it is this hot.

MTBR Mafia
    ya the whole dy heat thing is pretty funny. i do see yours and paul's point i just wish it had been clearer earlier. i guess i figured if they posted on here that they would know what they were getting into.
    again sorry for being a...
    All Mountain was so 2005

Jm.
    mtbr member
    The coolest time is sunrise, even at 9 or 10pm it can still be very hot and very different than it's going to be at 5:30am.

The hottest time of the day is 3-4pm or so, and from 4pm to sunset the temp doesn't change much at all, and when it goes down it still takes a while for things to start cooling.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

MTBR Mafia
    i know the coolest time is earlier. i may be young but i am not that dumb. (oh and while im on this subject of dumbness, i just got my AIMS scores back, you know the test that is getting so much critiscizm, and i got the highest possible rating in every category. yay, scholarships.)
    anyway, i know when its hot but i have learned to deal with it so i can still go out every night and ride the next day. so its pretty nice for me right now, i just wanted to know if i was alone in my ridin times
    All Mountain was so 2005

EDR
    anyway, i know when its hot but i have learned to deal with it so i can still go out every night and ride the next day. so its pretty nice for me right now, i just wanted to know if i was alone in my ridin times
    No your not alone but... I will ride the Hawes trails by my house occasionally at mid-morning or noon by myself. But my ride won't last more than 30 mins or and hour, and, I ride the easiest way avoiding lots of climbing. I always bring a full 3 liters caus I'm not stupid. Riding up National in this heat, middle of the day with one water bottle...whatever.

Saucy Size

You misunderstood and I wasn't being clear: I was referring to your trail recommendations some time back to folks who wanted to improve their skills. You can ride whatever trails you want, but be careful about what you recommend to other people.

And "your whole life" isn't really a meaningful measurement. I've been riding since before you were born. I'm sure you're a good rider. Doesn't make you a smart one, no matter what your AIMS score might be -- trust me on this one, I was one hell of a test-taker in my day as well. You'll figure out how little test scores mean in the real world.

"I'm not going to die." ...I sure miss being a teenager.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    CDUB:

Dude, you're road kill with perhaps twice the dial-up speed. If your avatar is in fact you--see the previous sentence. J

MTBR Mafia
    haha ya thats me. and it looked a whole lot worse but i couldnt take pics cause i couldnt open my eyes. fun times
    All Mountain was so 2005

I railed it like Kong
    haha ya thats me. and it looked a whole lot worse but i couldnt take pics cause i couldnt open my eyes. fun times
    Is there a good story or have you already told it and i missed the post?
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

EDR
    Ya thats a good pic. I would like to hear the story. I would bet 20 bucks it didn't happen on a bike, but I would bet twice that amount that it happened after a few beers. lol

EDR
    I just checked out the pics. cool, not for you of course. I didn't even know a bike could break like that. Guess I lose my 20 bucks! damn. lol

mtbr member
    hey guys i havent been ride much at night but i think i am going to. i rode for a little bit tonight just around here in scottsdale and it wasnt all that bad

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I just checked out the pics. cool, not for you of course. I didn't even know a bike could break like that. Guess I lose my 20 bucks! damn. lol
    you can send the money through a western union online transfer and i will arrange my own shipping company for you so you dont have to worry about that. lol i just got a scam email so i had to use it

but ya the crash was dumb, or idiotic as some might say, but its all i could afford at the time
    All Mountain was so 2005

EDR
    you can send the money through a western union online transfer and i will arrange my own shipping company for you so you dont have to worry about that.
    I have an uncle in Nigeria. He has a large inheritence due. If he sends you $120,000 dollars will u accept it and in return send me 5 bucks? lol