mtbr member

Do we need a new 'Local Trail Guide" sticky?

Been noticing a lot of posts from new riders and visitors asking about trails around the state, and NOT noticing a lot of us pointing to the sticky thread. Taking a look at the sticky, it could use updating badly and I think we all know it.

Rather than just add to the current one, I propose a new one be created and had a couple ideas. Feel free to discuss this here and suggest your ideas. With the wealth of knowledge on this site regarding trails, and the long time locals with all different skill levels and bikes- I see many reasons why the new thread could kick ass.

My ideas:
    - lets choose together a panel of sorts to moderate the thread itself and determine what trail reviews should be in there.

- Have a format for the trail guide so it is easy to read and understand. Things like terrain type, parking and directions to the TH, water/toilets, cell coverage, best directions, average weather, links to maps, river flow data and so on.

-Lock the thread to comments to keep it concise and easy to read.

What do you all think?

-
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Great idea. I also think it would be useful if we included links to sites like Trailforks, MTBProject, or even Strava, so information would stay current.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Yeah, it's about time for a facelift on that. It's pretty amazing how much has changed in recent years. Maybe provide a few routes for certain areas, popular ones that give a visitor a good feel for that specific system.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Click Click Click
    I agree! I could do some writeups on Deem / Pyramid Peak, and Thunderbird Conservation Park. That could actually be a fun project to go out, take a bunch of pictures and ride all the trails, then do the write up. I love the idea of also including Strava tracks or GPX files for good routes. I know I would have LOVED that when I was getting started riding out here.
    "You either want to or you don't."

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Great idea. I'd be glad to help.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    I'd like to contribute, as well.

My other ride is your mom
    I suggest you also structure it similarly to the "Progressive List of AZ trail - Difficulty". It's a good list, certainly not comprehensive, but I think the ordering still stands for the most part and when I think of a community/collaborative effort on this board; it is one that one ranks up there as the best. You could use that list as a starting point and expand on it as needed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Great idea! I think another cool thing (though low on the list of priorities) would be a section describing how to link some of the park systems together. Some you can do dirt, others there you have to ride road... but give maybe the best street options (less traffic, etc). I have put together some rides linking various trail systems mostly in the NW valley (TBird, Deem, Sonoran, Cave Creek, Lake Pleasant) just through trial and error/google maps, etc. but a guide would be helpful for those looking to go bigger on the miles while staying local. This creates those "from your front door epics" that have been discussed. I'd be glad to do the area I mentioned.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Great idea! I think another cool thing (though low on the list of priorities) would be a section describing how to link some of the park systems together. Some you can do dirt, others there you have to ride road... but give maybe the best street options (less traffic, etc). I have put together some rides linking various trail systems mostly in the NW valley (TBird, Deem, Sonoran, Cave Creek, Lake Pleasant) just through trial and error/google maps, etc. but a guide would be helpful for those looking to go bigger on the miles while staying local. This creates those "from your front door epics" that have been discussed. I'd be glad to do the area I mentioned.
    Mike, this sounds cool, but probably be better suited for it's own thread. It would be worth linking to IMO.

It may also be best to not include photos in the new Visitors thread, try to limit the amount of scrolling. I'd plan on simply linking to an online album if you have pictures showcasing an area.

The Colorado Western Slope forum has a nice locals trail guide as does the North & South Carolina page.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    As an alternative, why not just fix this:

Arizona Trail Reviews

...and point everyone to that?
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

parenting for gnarness
    good idea in the abstract, but I don't think doing it here on MTBR is worth it. The underlying format of MTBR simply can't handle the features that most of us have come to expect from better sites that are purpose-designed. The sticky...I haven't looked at in in years, because its dated in some places and full of lots of non-useful info and comments. Its an old unmaintained thread, not an encyclopedia. I've been on mtbr for like 10 years, and the features by-and-large have not changed, while social media-based sites with crowdsourcing and similar features have exploded. That is not going to change, MTBR does not have the money for a fundamental overhaul.

Why not just put your energy into improving something like Trailforks, which includes maps, gpxs, trail ratings, and user-based feedback for what makes it onto the site?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

....or, as the OP insinuated; we could just chastise anyone asking stupid questions for which the answers are found in the sticky or trailforks. For some reason, some folks on here have been getting all butt-hurt over snarky answers to stupid questions.....so sad

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Great idea.
    For someone that has been riding in the valley for 15 years now, I know I would benefit. I seem to ride the same trails over and over... creature of habit possibly, but I don't get to ride often, and simply don't want to waste a ride on an "unknown". A good reference base would be so nice.
    Also, seems so many people have GoPros (or such) now... a video library could be made as well... course that would likely eat up server space, but, possibly links to youtube or the likes.
    My bike, Slayer 70

Riding the unknown is where it's at...