Did You Sign-Up for Any Trail Improvent Projects This Weekend?- Mtbr.com
    banned

Did You Sign-Up for Any Trail Improvent Projects This Weekend?

I tried to participate on a National Parks Trail Project this weekend, but it looks like I am the only interested in doing some trail improvements on the West Fork trail.

John,

I have tried to reach you by phone a few times this morning with no luck!! Since you were the only person signed up for this project we have decided to cancel it. Thank you so much for your interest in NPLD. We would love to schedule another opportunity to work with you in the future.

Thanks again,

Angie

Angela Abel, Volunteer Coordinator
    Red Rock Ranger District

Coconino National Forest
    Office phone-928-203-7535
    aaabel@fs.fed.us

mtbr member
    Good for you

Shovel Ready
    I moved a rock the other day.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Alive and Lurkin'
    I moved two rocks yesterday AND rebuilt a ramp at PMP Tuesday.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    I moved two rocks yesterday AND rebuilt a ramp at PMP Tuesday.
    and I still failed at the rock ledge. Little better effort next time so the masses can enjoy that section.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    and I still failed at the rock ledge. Little better effort next time so the masses can enjoy that section.
    It's probably from all the extra gunk on your bike. Simple Green and a hose should do the trick.
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    It's probably from all the extra gunk on your bike. Simple Green and a hose should do the trick.
    Bikes get dirty when you actually ride them. Plus I call it character. She will get a good rub down tonight.

How much further ???
    Cant say that I did.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Nope. Gonna ride and wait til it's cooler, then hit up BCT.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

skilldest©
    Something was supposed to happen in May of 2011, but nobody cared.

Something might happen in December of 2012, but no one will care.

banned
    I don't think it's fair that LAZY mountain bikers make fun of me. I try my best to get riders to donate some time on a worthy trail project, and they try to belittle my efforts. It makes me wonder if all my effort has been appreciated or do people look at me as an old fool?

By the way we rode the Hogs today and the recent rain has raised the puck factor significantly, so don't expect it to be a cakewalk.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 09-23-2011 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    It make me wonder if all my effort has been appreciated or do people look at me as an old fool?
    Pretty sure I don't speak for all of MTBR, but let me answer this with a resounding "yes."

Sincerely,
    Your Muse
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Pretty sure I don't speak for all of MTBR, but let me answer this with a resounding "yes."

Sincerely,
    Your Muse
    CO:

Thanks for your honesty. Only a fool would not respect your opinion.

TD

mtbr member
    It's been my experience that 5% of the people do 95% of the work. There's lots of reasons for that. Work schedules, other interests and activities, family obligations....and of course apathy and laziness. But the point remains....only a small number of those who post here are ever going to step up.

Trying to guilt people into doing trail work will get you a few extra helpers now and then, but for the most part, it only antagonizes people. It will get you nowhere.

What you can do is get the word out. You may recall that I contacted you and Jason 4 or 5 weeks ago with an offer to assist with trail work, yet this is the first I've heard about West Fork.

May I suggest posting info about these projects a week or two in advance? These notices should be a regular part of the Arizona forum.

Last edited by Centurion_; 09-23-2011 at 06:22 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    Ya know John, it's been my experience that 5% of the people do 95% of the work. There's lots of reasons for that. Work schedules, other interests and activities, family obligations....and of course apathy and laziness. But the point remains....only a small number of those who post here are ever going to step up.

Trying to guilt people into doing trail work will get you a few extra helpers now and then, but for the most part, it only antagonizes people. It will get you nowhere.

What you can do is get the word out. You may recall that I contacted you and Jason 4 or 5 weeks ago with an offer to assist with trail work, yet this is the first I've heard about West Fork.

May I suggest posting info about these projects on the forum a week or two in advance? These notices should be a regular part of the Arizona forum.

It will be interesting how Justin responds to your post, but here is my two cents. Justin who is a FS employee has chimed in from time to time on the AZ forum. In one of his posts he indicated that there would be Sedona volunteer projects coming up and if people like yourself wanted to volunteer their time to give him a jingle.

He was not specific about any projects coming up, but he made a general request the to MTBR viewers to let him know if they wanted to help out.

For this weekend there were two other projects being offered. One was clean-up trash on Oak Creek which flows past Sedona and the other was to help clean-up Fossil Creek.

I have no clue if those projects are being carried out, but I hope they will be.

This is how the original solicitation was done: FS person in charge of Parks and Recreation did an email off her list of individuals who either have participated in volunteer project previously or who may have expressed an interest (I am only assuming this) in offering help in the future. If you aren't on the list yet it seems like you should be.

Maybe Justin will take it upon himself to make more specific announcements of up and coming projects.

TD

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't think it's fair that LAZY mountain bikers make fun of me. I try my best to get riders to donate some time on a worthy trail project, and they try to belittle my efforts. It makes me wonder if all my effort has been appreciated or do people look at me as an old fool?

TD
    TD... they don't belittle you for your efforts... it's for the attention you are perceived as seeking for your efforts.

I think Casual Observer hit the nail on the head. You are appreciated, but people also belittle you for asking to be appreciated so much.

As for trail maintenance, my wife is off work this weekend (for once) so I will not be partaking in the trail work. We'll be riding and watching football instead.

Shovel Ready

By the way we rode the Hogs today and the recent rain has raised the puck factor significantly, so don't expect it to be a cakewalk.

TD
    I am insulted! I work at my own pace I'm old! Lazy, I moved a rock. Next time I might move 2. I feel so unappreciated for my efforts.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    TD... they don't belittle you for your efforts... it's for the attention you are perceived as seeking for your efforts.

I think Casual Observer hit the nail on the head. You are appreciated, but people also belittle you for asking to be appreciated so much.

As for trail maintenance, my wife is off work this weekend (for once) so I will not be partaking in the trail work. We'll be riding and watching football instead.
    214:

I think my asking to be appreciated is my way getting the recognition that was missing from my difficult childhood. I was born with some learning difficulties that probably stemmed from my mom being a chain smoker through her pregnancy with me. Our home was covered in lead paint and my dad use to smoke big cigars with the windows rolled up in our family car.

When I got into mountain biking I would go out and build a bunch of trails to give me, my friends, and others at great riding experience. In the early days there was no efficient way of getting the word out on the really fun trails my buddies and I got to ride.

Now with MTBR I can share some of those great trails with others like Enel.

TD

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I signed up for a spelling class this weekend. Our first word to learn: improvement.

Kathleen in AZ
    Holly and I watched some 50+ volunteers walk by our camp last weekend on their way up to a VOAZ trail work session on Lower Moto. I thanked them and then went on a ride on the AZ trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did You Sign-Up for Any Trail Improvent Projects This Weekend?-p1020836.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I signed up for a spelling class this weekend. Our first word to learn: improvement.
    How did this thread get to 19 posts before anyone saw this!?!?
    I'm disappointed in everyone, myself included.

Eroding into the trail

Was there a hidden meaning in the dog butt photo?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post

Was there a hidden meaning in the dog butt photo?
    Did you notice all the trail workers hiking up the hill in the background?

The PNF Ax Man.
    May 2011

"Did You Sign-Up for Any Trail Improvent Projects This Weekend?"

. .but it looks like I am the only interested in doing some trail improvements on the West Fork trail.
    traildoc,

It’s obvious that your intent is to show that you signed up for trail work this weekend. And simply because you did, for the rest of us to measure up, we must sound off with our volunteer status? Contrary to your condescending question asking who’s volunteering this weekend, nobody’s obligated to get any validation of volunteering from you or anybody else for that matter. It just doesn’t work that way. People do trail work: when, where, and how of their choosing.

I don’t think anybody here questions your efforts with Sedona trail work. And I for one appreciate your hard work. However, while you may prefer to advertise your efforts, for others, the trail work and how they go about it is their business.

Dash
    Clearer-er of Prescott trails. Downhill downfall in your way? PM me. Have ax, will travel.

Give it a crank
    I rode by a trail maintenance guy up Windgate Trail and said to him: "Nice job, trail's looking better every day!" I'll do a followup check for any further improvements tomorrow.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DashRiprock™®© View Post
    traildoc,

It’s obvious that your intent is to show that you signed up for trail work this weekend. And simply because you did, for the rest of us to measure up, we must sound off with our volunteer status? Contrary to your condescending question asking who’s volunteering this weekend, nobody’s obligated to get any validation of volunteering from you or anybody else for that matter. It just doesn’t work that way. People do trail work: when, where, and how of their choosing.

I don’t think anybody here questions your efforts with Sedona trail work. And I for one appreciate your hard work. However, while you may prefer to advertise your efforts, for others, the trail work and how they go about it is their business.

Dash
    Well stated Dash. I personally do most of my trail work: when, where, and how of my choosing, so I don't really expect others to do differently, because in my opinion it isn't as rewarding to work on other peoples projects.

I personally like doing rock work and I got a chance to work with Justin on a small project a couple months back and every time I ride that section of trail I get a since of accomplishment and that's what it is about for me personally.

I thought if I got to do something I liked (building some rock stairs on West Fork) that would be like killing two birds with one stone.

I was kind of surprised I was the only one who signed up for that project, and since it is a hiking only trail I doubt the stairs are really needed, but the FS thought it might be a nice project so I signed up so mountain bikers would be one of the user groups represented.

There is a poster in SLO by the name of slocaus (he may chime in) who seems to get all kinds of users out on his volunteer projects. That is pretty cool if you ask me. It would be interesting to know the breakdown of the users in DurtGurl's picture? I wonder if rockman was part of that group? He could be the representative for geologists. I guess I would have been the representative for an ex-insurance agent.

Today some friend's of mine and I went out to check out a project that Justine is working on called Chuck Wagon. Justin says some of the existing trail goes through several archeological sensitive areas and needs to be re-routed to complete the approval process.

I brought out my own archeologist to confirm Justin's findings and we walked some of the re-route to see what we thought of the new alignment. I personally think the re-alignment needs some re-aligning and it will be interesting what Justin and I will ultimately agree on.

My archeologist didn't really see anything significant that he felt a whole new re-alignment needed to be made, but inorder to be cooperative and get the trail approved we need to pick our battles.

Hopefully when the trail is adopted it will be a good user experience for the mountain biking community. At one time I rated it as one of the best trails in Sedona now several other newer trails have knocked it down several notches.

TD

Huffy Rider
    Chuckwagon is a very fun trail, especially when combined with Gunslinger and Mescal. Anyone know if the gate/fence on Gunslinger is accessible? I haven't had the chance to get out there since springtime.

Brenda

parenting for gnarness
    TD - we appreciated some of your (I'm assuming) work building a rock bridge into a tough uphill right-hand turn ascending up to Highline. we recalled that from last year being very rough - it was still a good challenge but makeable and the trail flowed better. Thank you.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

windrider

big difference between...

TD
    There is a big difference between a person who performs "altruistic" deeds then feels and exhibits the need to be recognized for them than the person who performs altruistic deeds and is satisfied by the doing rather than the recognition of having done so.
    Last edited by bigrigmig; 09-26-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    BRM

mtbr member
    i displaced a sh|t ton of sand at pumptrack and dynamite™ yesterday. did i do good?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I packed my shovel for a ride on Sunday evening, but turns out the trail was in pretty decent shape and I didn't have to do anything. I like to help keep it fun. Sanctioned PNF trail-building adheres to the boring multi-use standards and excludes any kind of challenges, so I'm usually not very interested in that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    TD - we appreciated some of your (I'm assuming) work building a rock bridge into a tough uphill right-hand turn ascending up to Highline. we recalled that from last year being very rough - it was still a good challenge but makeable and the trail flowed better. Thank you.
    If you are talking about the section where the intersection of the Taint trail (not on my map yet) intersects Highline that section was done by some muscle bound guys. One of them lost his fingernail setting in the biggest rock. I only watched .

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 09-26-2011 at 11:35 AM.

banned
    I want to thank all of you who have stepped up and either thought of doing some improvements or actually moved some dirt, rocks or fallen trees.

Yesterday we did a normal Sunday ride on one of our favorite social trails. During the ride to Oak Creek we came across a very old dead pinion about 30' long crossing the trail.

The hardcore group at the front of the ride just headed off trail and continued around the tree while the group behind me stopped to rectify the blockage. There were six of riders who dragged the tree off the trail after a lot of different opinions as to how to accomplish the task at hand. Since I am old I just watched.

TD

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Chuckwagon is a very fun trail, especially when combined with Gunslinger and Mescal. Anyone know if the gate/fence on Gunslinger is accessible? I haven't had the chance to get out there since springtime.

Brenda
    If you look at my map you will see the trail to Gunslinger. For some unknown reason there is currently blue tape on it.

TD