mtbr member
    Dec 2008

DH trail on Mt Lemmon

So I recently saw a video on youtube of a DH trail on mt Lemmon and thought that it looked like a fun time. I am going to be heading down that way monday and we are both wanting to do some good riding. I realize that most local trails are protected by the riders, but I am wondering if someone can let me know how to get to this trail. If you are not sure which video it is I am talking about I can post it. Looks smooth and fast if you ride it correctly

dirt visionary
    Think your talking about aspen draw. I hear they have issues with lots of hikers so weekday might be best as you plan on anyway.Hit of sundog he might beable to help out
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Like this?

Now that the gate is open and the snow has melted(mostly) and it's getting hot, the hikers will be getting thicker. Weekdays would be best or first light on the weekends.
    Here's a Google Earth link to the start of the trail. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=20

View Larger Map

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    This is the link to the video on youtube, not sure if this is the same trail.
    http://youtu.be/ve4aplvu8FE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IrSc
    Pretty sure that trail was built illegally and is now closed.

Local DHer's are trying to work with the FS to find a more appropriate place for a new DH style trail.

In the mean time Aspen Draw is a good shuttle run.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IrSc
    Yep this one's closed, taken out.

suvlako
    When are you coming down?? I may be able to show you around some fun stuff. PM me and I'll get you the phone #.

mtbr member
    EDIT: c r a p. Posted in wrong mode. Moving...
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    There are no DH-specific trails, and the one that could be a fantastic DH run is a really
    popular, multi-use, bi-directional trail. I ride it often, and there can be a lot of stopping off to
    the side to politely share the trail with groups of hikers. Sometimes, these groups are
    giant congo lines of septuagenarians. Really nice folks, very friendly, very slow, would
    probably explode in a puff of dust if you barely touched one.

Mt Lemmon has some great AAM trails, but there's a s h i t load of tough climbing to
    string it all together. If you have an AM bike and don't mind burning about 2000 to 3000
    calories on a 3+ hour ride, I can show you some great loops and shuttles.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Mt Lemmon has some great AAM trails, but there's a s h i t load of tough climbing to string it all together. If you have an AM bike and don't mind burning about 2000 to 3000 calories on a 3+ hour ride, I can show you some great loops and shuttles.
    Hopefully, pretty soon I'll be getting back down there and riding Lemmon again, with better results than the last time. Now that I know at least a little about where I need to be going it shouldn't be difficult. Wouldn't mind trying some of the other trails mentioned in Fat Tire as well so I've saved my place in this thread for the weekend I can make it and give you a hollar...

caninus xerophilous
    Get your Tucson DH trail advice from guys that actually ride DH in Tucson.

There may be no dedicated DH trails in the OP, true, but other than Sunrisey show me another in the state that is not a "multi-use" trail or illegal. Definately some shiz here to keep a big bike rider happy, but as has been said it most likely will involve a bit of HAB to get to the flowy stuff. Just adapt and overcome.

Suvlako/Deep6 know most of the routes that we use and what they are all about Also try calling JJ Bikes, they do rides on Lemmen nearly every weekend day.

Hollar at Suvlako or drop a howdy into tucsonMTB's nacent DH forum, to get pointed in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Hopefully,...better results than the last time. ...

the weekend I can make it and give you a hollar...
    NARF! After reading that, I'm sure I can show you some of the much better AM routes!
    There's a lot of pedalling, though. But mostly rideable on an AM bike with maybe a blip of
    HaB (unless you're feeling really good and can "go for it" -- in which case, no HaB).

If you do decide to go for more DH, though, certainly seize the opportunity to hook up w/
    Louis. I'm not much of one for the "shuttling for DH" thing. I'm pretty much stuck in the one
    discipline; AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

No Clue Crew
    I take it SunDog is Louis?

I've shuttled and liked even though my body was not prepared for the amount of abuse I would be dealt. So I'm not against it by any means but I definitely like to pedal where I'm going.

I'll be in touch soon. I'm actually here in Tucson now for a Duathalon tomorrow morning. Just don't have the time to stick around and ride afterwards, though. Gotta head straight back to Phoenix.

Members who have read this thread: 0