sprocket

DH riding in the Superstitions

Is there any good FR / DH riding in the Superstitions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    Absolutely. Take a sharp left at the Lost Dutchman's treasure, walk (or drive, it's public land, so you can do whatever the hell you want) up, and then ride down. Repeat.

But please, please, please don't tell anybody I told you this. It's secret.

(Okay, back to work. I've met my alloted postings for the week.)

sprocket
    [(Okay, back to work. I've met my alloted postings for the week.)[/QUOTE]
    I think I did too. I fear dead skunk smells will fill my office.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Absolutely. Take a sharp left at the Lost Dutchman's treasure, walk (or drive, it's public land, so you can do whatever the hell you want) up, and then ride down. Repeat.

But please, please, please don't tell anybody I told you this. It's secret.

(Okay, back to work. I've met my alloted postings for the week.)

Do you take the 60 out there? Is it Lost Dutchman's treasure or trail?
    The taste of life is such to die for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredER
    Do you take the 60 out there? Is it Lost Dutchman's treasure or trail?
    Lost Dutchman's Treasure.

(At the risk of making a silly assumption, we were both kidding....or at least I was. Lost Dutchman's Treasure is a, well, superstition. I don't think Yeti was actually looking for a place to freeride. He's a stinky SSer and is allergic to armor.)

Ouch, I am hot!
    Moderator. Moderator.
    I AM JUST A JERK

caninus xerophilous

Actually, there is........

...exceptional free riding in the Superstition Mountains in my humble opinion, just not in the Superstition Wilderness. It is perfectly ligit, but it may not be for everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    ...exceptional free riding in the Superstition Mountains in my humble opinion, just not in the Superstition Wilderness. It is perfectly ligit, but it may not be for everyone.
    LOL, Okay now I'm the lost newbie. So there is some good riding in the Superstition Mountains, right? Is there a trail I can find that puts me where that picture was shot, b/c that looks ideal. thanks

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Lost Dutchman's Treasure.

(At the risk of making a silly assumption, we were both kidding....or at least I was. Lost Dutchman's Treasure is a, well, superstition. I don't think Yeti was actually looking for a place to freeride. He's a stinky SSer and is allergic to armor.)
    No really. FR / DH is da bomb. I can't wait to session and try some sweet jumps in the coolest place that I can.

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredER
    LOL, Okay now I'm the lost newbie. So there is some good riding in the Superstition Mountains, right? Is there a trail I can find that puts me where that picture was shot, b/c that looks ideal. thanks

Geographically the Superstition Range is not limited to the famous cliff face in AJ.

The picture is of a FR route down a canyon, a tributary of Wood Canyon, SW of Superior. It is a very tough ride. I nearly got heat stroke there and had to be bailed out by some locals. That was in April, so you might want to ease yourself in during the cooler part of the year.

The AZ Trail runs through that area, I would suggest trying segments of that first. Perhaps try Telegraph Pass to Alamo Canyon, a nice and challenging loop around Pickett Post butte. For something a little more introductory perhaps try the stuff North of US 60, where I know there is some friendlier sections of the AZ Trail that others here helped build and have ridden.

The next step would be riding some of the jeep roads in the area and getting a feel for the terrain and lay of the land. It can be a very dangerous area given the desert conditions and semi remoteness. Try FR'ing thejeep trails and some of the adjacent areas. It might sound lame at first but there are some real challenges there, if you have a free ride eye.

Next would be exploring some of the canyons with jeep roads and real single track and bovine/horse trails and then progressing into the creek beds and washes. This is where the true treasure is.

There are no easy routes in the area though, they all involve some tough climbing and most of the existing 1 track I know of is primitive.

If you get into it and find its your ball of wax, I'll be doing some riding and exploring out there later in say, August, and you would be welcomed to come along.
    Last edited by SunDog; 05-27-2005 at 10:13 AM.

caninus xerophilous

I offer you two pills.

No really. FR / DH is da bomb. I can't wait to session and try some sweet jumps in the coolest place that I can.

The red one, come and hit some sweet freeriding with me in the Superstition's.

The green one, keep choking on whatever lame point you are trying to make.

Ohter than that, HAVEN'T WE SEEN ENOUGH HATE AND FEAR HERE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Geographically the Superstition Range is not limited to the famous cliff face in AJ.

The picture is of a FR route down a canyon, a tributary of Wood Canyon, SW of Superior. It is a very tough ride. I nearly got heat stroke there and had to be bailed out by some locals. That was in April, so you might want to ease yourself in during the cooler part of the year.

The AZ Trail runs through that area, I would suggest trying segments of that first. Perhaps try Telegraph Pass to Alamo Canyon, a nice and challenging loop around Pickett Post butte. For something a little more introductory perhaps try the stuff North of US 60, where I know there is some friendlier sections of the AZ Trail that others here helped build and have ridden.

The next step would be riding some of the jeep roads in the area and getting a feel for the terrain and lay of the land. It can be a very dangerous area given the desert conditions and semi remoteness. Try FR'ing thejeep trails and some of the adjacent areas. It might sound lame at first but there are some real challenges there, if you have a free ride eye.

Next would be exploring some of the canyons with jeep roads and real single track and bovine/horse trails and then progressing into the creek beds and washes. This is where the true treasure is.

There are no easy routes in the area though, they all involve some tough climbing and most of the existing 1 track I know of is primitive.

If you get into it and find its your ball of wax, I'll be doing some riding and exploring out there later in say, August, and you would be welcomed to come along.
    I'll take that bit of wisdom, in that order and hopefully be able to ride with you in Aug. Lately I've been trying to get more aggresive on these trails. I just need someone there to push me to higher boundries. The people I've been riding with are a bit passive, so I've been pushing them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    Well said. It seems the T100 posse is out in full effect to protect their brethren.

They're just jealous they don't have the cajones to hit anything more challenging than what they are used to.

Oh well.
    Does this sound familiar? "Time to get past this XC vs. FR. vs. DH mentality. I'm all about bringing the AZ clan togerther."

And what about this?
    "so maybe the rest of the MTBR's shouldn't take my online rants and criticisms so seriously? "

sprocket
    The remarks by some of the posters regarding my inquiry are quite alarming. I just ask a simple, honest question and all I get is pointless information about class warfare. If I wasn't such an honest, upstanding netizen, I might have to say something to those in control.

sprocket
    You know what Jeff, this is precisely what I was talking about. It's obvious you two are trying to make light of anything FR or DH (didn't your post earlier say something about you both joking?) I was honestly trying to build & repair bridges - but you somehow just don't grasp that concept.

Maybe you shouldn't take what I say so seriously. I thought that was great advice.

I understand what happened, you stepped over to FRW and got trampled, and now you're just trying to drag me over here to trample me. Get over it. I'm not going to play your stupid little game anymore.

If you want to take this offline, feel free to send me a PM. I'm not going to force everyone to read this overblown pissing contest.

DHF'r
    That sounds like you are including me in your rather heated respnse. I demand an apology.

mtbr member
    [font=Verdana]
    If you want to take this offline, feel free to send me a PM. I'm not going to force everyone to read this overblown pissing contest.

DHF'r
    Done.

caninus xerophilous

Back to RIDING!

Lets all take a deep breath and let it go.

A few more shots from Wood Canyon, there is something for everyone on a BIKE there.

Sweet tight singletrack and wide open "pay as you go" riding.

When I head back out that way, I'll post up and see if there are any takers. The guy who took the pictures described the ride as a debacle. Imagine that!
    Attached Images Attached Images

sprocket
    Can't help you there, sport.
    Darn. Without your approval on thing, life is such a waste.

sprocket
    [When I head back out that way, I'll post up and see if there are any takers. The guy who took the pictures described the ride as a debacle. Imagine that![/QUOTE]
    Let me know. That looks rad.

caninus xerophilous
    [When I head back out that way, I'll post up and see if there are any takers. The guy who took the pictures described the ride as a debacle. Imagine that!
    Let me know. That looks rad.[/QUOTE]

Actually you will have to let me know when I "post up". It will be as "rad" as you choose to make it, you wild and crazy guy.

Don't forget your camera for the mandatory cool picture sessioning, feel free to make yourself famous.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Wow, man. I came here hoping to get some tech info, some riding spots and perhaps meet some cool folks to help me break my new Rocky Mountain Flow. After reading all the seemingly bitter and angry posts here, it's no wonder I'm still riding alone ...
    d