Which Devinci ??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Which Devinci ??

The price on the Devinci is close between these two with the RC costing more, I need someone to anylize the difference components between the two bikes for me.
    Here are the specs

Atlas RC

SPECIFICATIONS
    FRAMESET
    FRAME Aluminum Optimum G04
    FORK Fox Float 32 CTD FIT 29 100mm, Performance series
    HEADSET Cane Creek 10-Series Integrated
    TRAVEL 110mm
    REAR SHOCK Rock Shox Monarch RL
    WHEELSET
    TIRES Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25
    FRONT WHEEL Easton XC 15mm thru axle
    REAR WHEEL Easton XC 12x142mm thru axle
    DRIVETRAIN
    FRONT BRAKE Formula RX
    REAR BRAKE Formula RX
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.9 T2
    FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X.7
    FRONT SHIFTER SRAM X.9
    REAR SHIFTER SRAM X.9
    CRANKSET SRAM S1400 36/22T
    BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM PressFit BB92
    CASSETTE Shimano 10s 11-36T
    CHAIN Shimano 10s
    COMPONENTS
    HANDLEBAR Devinci Skipper Flattop 31.8mm*700mm
    STEM Easton EA50 31.8mm
    SADDLE Selle Italia Q-Bik XC
    SEATPOST Easton EA30 31.6mm
    SEAT COLLAR Alloy CNC 34.9mm
    GRIPS Devinci Performance w/lock-on

Atlas XP

SPECIFICATIONS
    FRAMESET
    FRAME Aluminum Optimum G04
    FORK RockShox Reba RL 29 Solo Air 100mm
    HEADSET Cane Creek 10-Series Integrated
    TRAVEL 110mm
    REAR SHOCK Rock Shox Monarch RL
    WHEELSET
    FRONT RIM Jalco XCD22
    FRONT HUB Formula Disc sealed 15mm thru axle
    REAR RIM Jalco XCD22
    REAR HUB Formula Disc sealed 12x142mm thru axle
    SPOKES Stainless w/Nylok
    TIRES Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29x2.25
    DRIVETRAIN
    FRONT BRAKE Avid Elixir 3
    REAR BRAKE Avid Elixir 3
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.7
    FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X.7
    FRONT SHIFTER SRAM X.7
    REAR SHIFTER SRAM X.7
    CRANKSET SRAM S1000 36/22T
    BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM PressFit BB92
    CASSETTE Shimano 10s 11-36T
    CHAIN Shimano 10s
    COMPONENTS
    HANDLEBAR Devinci Skipper Flattop 31.8mm*700mm
    STEM Easton EA50 31.8mm
    SADDLE Selle Italia Q-Bik XC
    SEATPOST Easton EA30 31.6mm
    SEAT COLLAR Alloy CNC 34.9mm
    GRIPS Devinci Performance w/lock-on

the 3rd bike in the running is the Giant Anthem X-1.

Specs
    XS, S, M, L, XL
    Colors Black/Silver/Neon Yellow
    Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 4" Maestro Suspension
    Fork Fox Float 29 Evolution CTD w/ 15QR thru-axle, OverDrive 2, 100mm Travel
    Shock Fox Float CTD Evolution
    Components
    Handlebar Giant Connect SL, Low Rise, 31.8
    Stem Giant Connect SL, OverDrive 2
    Seatpost Giant Connect SL, 30.9
    Saddle Fi'zi:k Tundra 2 w/ Manganese Rails
    Pedals N/A
    Drivetrain
    Shifters Shimano SLX, 2x10 Speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano SLX
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
    Brakes Avid Elixir 5, [F] 170mm, [R] 160mm
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir 5
    Cassette Shimano HG81 11x36, 10-Speed
    Chain KMC X10
    Crankset Shimano SLX, 24/38
    Bottom Bracket Shimano, Press Fit
    Wheels
    Rims Giant P-XC29er 2, Double Wall
    Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Formula Sealed Bearing, 32h
    Spokes Stainless Steel Black, 14g
    Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 Evolution Folding TL Ready
    Other

DEVINCI

Anthem X 29er 1 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Last edited by Licketysplit; 12-06-2012 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quality of wheels is more important for the 29er platform than picking x7 or x9 etc.

Make sure whatever you go with that the fork has the 15mm through axle. I think it is a noticeable upgrade over the conventional q/r, especially with the rocky terrain here.

I would also look at head tube angle between the Giant and Devinci platforms, and think about going with the slacker of the 2, everything else being equal. I have found that even with a more XC oriented bike, a more slack HT angle is advantageous for our terrain. You can tweak the steering properties from there with stem length and bar choices.

The more I look at the Devinci bikes, the more I like them, although I would go for one of their more trail or all mountain offerings.

I do not like the avid elixir brakes at all. A quick search or conversation with a mechanic will probably support my stance. I don't have any experience with the formula brakes on the more expensive atlas.

Plan on upgrading the stock wheels and going tubeless sooner or later, regardless of which one you go with.

mtbr member
    Want to get me employee pricing on a Dixon Aluminum frame? The only dealer that I saw in AZ is in Tucson, do you work somewhere else that is carrying them now? I might seriously look into one soon if so.

The elixir brakes are junk, and I have them. Although I haven't had any experience with the Formulas. Also, I am not a fan of the Fox CTD forks. Personally, I'd probably go with the cheaper one and buy some XT/SLX brakes and upgrade/build wheels at some point. X7 vs X9 doesn't mean much either.

This is all just my opinion though.

mtbr member
    I personally think that the less expensive devinci is a great choice. The formula brakes are better in my opinion. The x7 stuff is great, and the most important part is an x9 anyway (rear derailleur). Reba forks are nice, but not worth it in my opinion. Great bike. Devinci was the bike I wanted to get next. I am a bit biased though, being that its a Canadian company, and I'm a Canadian originally.

My other ride is your mom
    Wow....I can't believe that your employer, the only distributor of DaVinci bikes in AZ....with 3 stores in the metro area and 2 in Tucson....would like you talking about employee pricing.

Redaction.......it's not just for breakfast anymore....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Wow....I can't believe that your employer, the only distributor of DaVinci bikes in AZ....with 3 stores in the metro area and 2 in Tucson....would like you talking about employee pricing.

Redaction.......it's not just for breakfast anymore....
    Every bike shop gets EP pricing on what they sell, it's well known. It's one of the few perks for working $8.00 per hour.
    Just the same, let's not make this thread about that

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SuctionGoat View Post
    Quality of wheels is more important for the 29er platform than picking x7 or x9 etc.

Make sure whatever you go with that the fork has the 15mm through axle. I think it is a noticeable upgrade over the conventional q/r, especially with the rocky terrain here.

I would also look at head tube angle between the Giant and Devinci platforms, and think about going with the slacker of the 2, everything else being equal. I have found that even with a more XC oriented bike, a more slack HT angle is advantageous for our terrain. You can tweak the steering properties from there with stem length and bar choices.

The more I look at the Devinci bikes, the more I like them, although I would go for one of their more trail or all mountain offerings.

I do not like the avid elixir brakes at all. A quick search or conversation with a mechanic will probably support my stance. I don't have any experience with the formula brakes on the more expensive atlas.

Plan on upgrading the stock wheels and going tubeless sooner or later, regardless of which one you go with.
    Devinci boasts the shortest chain stays on a FS bike and adjustable geometry. Wouldn't that have a bearing on rake and trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    The short chain stays and adjustable geometry is exactly what I am liking about that bike. I was just relaying my own experience,in general terms... with riding 29ers here in az.

I dig that Devinci and I bet if it fits and feels right, you would ride the hell out of that thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I personally think that the less expensive devinci is a great choice. The formula brakes are better in my opinion. The x7 stuff is great, and the most important part is an x9 anyway (rear derailleur). Reba forks are nice, but not worth it in my opinion. Great bike. Devinci was the bike I wanted to get next. I am a bit biased though, being that its a Canadian company, and I'm a Canadian originally.
    This is encouraging. Then I could upgrade wheels sooner.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Devinci Wilson!!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

bland
    I would say get a wilson too but if your married to the 29er take a look at the giant trace X 29er. This might be the hardest shredding 29er out and if you can swing the 0 model the spec is dialed. I have a buddy that just switched from a hard tail to this bike and it changed the way he sees mt biking.

Members who have read this thread: 0