mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Desert trails bike park

Is desert trails bike park a fun place? I'm a beginner so I wouldn't be hitting the jumps but how about the pump track?

mtbr member
    Worth checking out. There are progressive lines from beginner to advanced. You could probably roll the entire beginner line without actually leaving the ground. In my opinion it's a little more bmx feeling with the jumps on the beginner line but again worth a spin.
    Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for mountain biking as an indication of my skill level.

mtbr member
    Personally I think if you're a beginner and don't want to go off jumps you'll get bored pretty quick. When Hawes is a mile away I'd much rather go there if you don't want to spend time on ramps/jumps.

mtbr member
    I agree with zicked, the place is more BMX. The pump track is pretty short-lived, meaning you may bore of it quickly. The beginner run has a few small doubles that are easy to roll, they lead to 4 table-top jumps. The TTs are fun and easy to land if you do get airborne. Good place to warm up then go ride Hawes.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

Vitamin Bike Added
    I'm sure even the black line would be pretty smooth if you could just let go of the bakes and feel the flow... But i aint riding it. I'd describe the pump track as a good skills section and I can ride it about 30 minutes before I get exhausted/board. You will find green and blue jump lines pretty smooth once you are comfortable with steep DJ style ramps and you can likely meet someone who you can follow down to get a feel for the run in speeds to clean everything smoothly.

parenting for gnarness
    i love the park, so do my kids.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member

Great Spots for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by dpc317 View Post
    Is desert trails bike park a fun place? I'm a beginner so I wouldn't be hitting the jumps but how about the pump track?
    Yes dpc317, Desert Trails Bike Park is a good spot for beginners to try to roll features like rollers, tables top jumps, and berms. Start out on the pump track to get used to rollers and berms. Then you can progress to the blue trail (beginner) but stay on your brakes and go slow. The jumps are a little lippy and you catch air if up to speed. Once you get used to the beginner line you can roll the green line and ride around the wooden features at the bottom.

There are a few other spots in the valley as well. GRO-AZ maintains a pump track at McDowell Regional Park and the West Valley Trail Alliance maintains the Estrella Foothills Bike Park in Goodyear. Both locations are good spots for beginners start out and progress!

Here are some links for you to reach out for more help:

https://www.facebook.com/estrellafoothillsbikepark

https://www.facebook.com/gravityride...izona/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/West...TrailAlliance/

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks a lot rortiz

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Wish I lived closer to either of those pump tracks

mtbr member
    Yeah all 3 spots are on the outside portions of the valley (SW, SE, and NE). We need someone to step up and get one built centrally. A Ray's Indoor Bike Park would be sick in Phoenix for the blazing summers.

Wherever you live they are all worth the trip and also have trails nearby.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Heres a video of me hitting the black line last Sunday. I suggest a DJ bike.. I don't know why anyone rides bike parks (Non DH) with true mountain bikes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfQDSbXooMo