Combining Old and Bold

Desert Specific Tubeless Repair Kit

I am a long-time AZ and NV tubeless rider. As I was doing my last tire change, I noticed that I had TONS of cactus thorns in each tire. I took note that my practice of carry an emergency tube with me would have been totally defeated by the thorns that had penetrated (and sealed) the tire. As I often ride out way farther than I would care to hike a bike out of, I want to round out my kit with an answer to any tire failure scenario.

For simple, small punctures, I try to keep the Stans refreshed every few months. Sometimes, I forget, so I carry a small Stans bottle and a core remover with me. I think this is all I need for these common flats.

I have flatted due to a branch penetration that left a 1/4" hole that would not seal. Fortunately, I was close to the car and didn't have a long hike. I have seen the Tire Innovations plug kits and want to start packing these if they are effective. Any good/bad stories with these?

What I am most in need of is a sidewall tear plan. My goal is to make a field repair on a torn sidewall without breaking the bead seal and creating a trailside mess. I see that the bikepacking crowd is using needle/thread to sew up a tear, but I have questions about whether that alone will allow Stans to seal, or do you have to hit it with plugs after the sew job? Riders also talk about Gorilla tape, but I'm not sure if that is a inner-tire solution or outer. Finally, I've seen the TV ads for "Flex Tape" where they seal large holes in buckets, pools, etc. I'm generally skeptical of these ads, but if anyone has tried it to seal a torn sidewall from the OUTSIDE, I would love to hear about it. Any other solutions out there I haven't mentioned?

Ahhh the pain....
    I just did this and wrote about it last night...
    https://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/201...f-science.html
    For big cuts (> .25), sewing with a curved needle and dental floss is your best bet if you want to attempt to remain tubeless. Many will then cover that with gorilla glue from the outside.
    I have found for just day riding, that carrying a tube that has stans in it will work fine. SUre you need to do your best to clear any thorns from the inside of the tire, but if you miss some, the stans in the tube will seal them. Be sure the tubes you buy have a removable valve core so that you can inject the sealant. I believe the brand Q-Tubes have removable cores.

Combining Old and Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I just did this and wrote about it last night...
    https://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/201...f-science.html
    For big cuts (> .25), sewing with a curved needle and dental floss is your best bet if you want to attempt to remain tubeless. Many will then cover that with gorilla glue from the outside.
    I have found for just day riding, that carrying a tube that has stans in it will work fine. SUre you need to do your best to clear any thorns from the inside of the tire, but if you miss some, the stans in the tube will seal them. Be sure the tubes you buy have a removable valve core so that you can inject the sealant. I believe the brand Q-Tubes have removable cores.
    Good reading. I may try a similar experiment with a larger gash and some sewing.

mtbr member
    http://www.dynaplug.com/bicycles.html

These are awesome and convenient. I recently went from the original to the megaplug. 2/3 will seal up the usual 1/2 inch sidewall takes seconds to fix. Expensive but the case is perfect for your tool bag and itís so quick and easy. I know there are much cheaper options but this has saved me from putting a tube in on the trail on several occasions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I carry a sealed tube. Don't use stans, it will not be there when you need it a year from now. Use specialized airlock. It is water reconstitutable. If it dries out, just spit a mouthful of water into the stem with the core removed. I had to do this on the trail once or twice in years past. Spin the inflated tire and presto/sealo. It will impress millenials also.
    Michael
    old guy

Combining Old and Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Dynaplug¬ģ Online Store | Tubeless Bicycle Tires

These are awesome and convenient. I recently went from the original to the megaplug. 2/3 will seal up the usual 1/2 inch sidewall takes seconds to fix. Expensive but the case is perfect for your tool bag and itís so quick and easy. I know there are much cheaper options but this has saved me from putting a tube in on the trail on several occasions.
    Damn, Bones...I might have to start a new business in plug kits. I'll bet when I'm 20 miles from the car I might pay anything, but here at the comfort of my keyboard, that seems nuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHog View Post
    Damn, Bones...I might have to start a new business in plug kits. I'll bet when I'm 20 miles from the car I might pay anything, but here at the comfort of my keyboard, that seems nuts.
    Poor mans version, never used. Assume you can just shove several in for a bigger hole like the dyna plugs.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/i...CABEgKmQvD_BwE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Poor mans version, never used. Assume you can just shove several in for a bigger hole like the dyna plugs.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/i...CABEgKmQvD_BwE
    I carry that plus a bigger plug from auto/atv kit and also the small tube of rubber cement (coating the plug before inserting to help seal).

https://shop.slime.com/products/tire...nt=47566190216

mtbr member
    I have had pretty good luck with cotton cloth and string as plugs. I have also found that metal string (the stuff they use to make jewelry/necklaces etc) works the best for sewing the sidewall. Other things work but can be quickly torn if rubbed against a rock. I also try to cover the stitching with a piece of old sidewall and superglue (sometimes this works on it's own if the tear is small).

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Desert Specific Tubeless Repair Kit-84448.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	84448.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	1189873A tube is only worth carrying if it has slime/stans in it already. I carry a HD slime tube on longer rides for this reason. It took me a few times to realize that a regular tube won't work, it is almost impossible to get all the thorns/goatheads out. I carry a small kit that has bike plugs, a few automotive plugs, a few pieces of cut up t shirt, a boot and cement. I also have a suture kit with thread already attached. I keep most of it in an Altoids tin so the cement doesn't get crushed and punctured and you win up with any empty tube. I did fix a 2-3" tear in the middle of nowhere about five miles from Cochran on the PicketPost ride. Sew, glue, boot on the inside, slime tube to keep it there and it held for the rest of the ride. Riding is better than walking any day. The best start however is to use appropriate tires. If you want low rotational weight, you need to get good at repair. Specialized Grid or Maxxis exo at the minimum. A good practice is the next time you want to install a new tire, cut/puncture/tear the old one first and practice repairing it with the stuff you have on your bike/pack whatever, but don't use the stuff in your garage. This way you will get good at what you have and figure out what you need.

My other ride is your mom
    ∆∆∆∆ Solid advice there on all fronts.

Combining Old and Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1189873Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1189873A tube is only worth carrying if it has slime/stans in it already. I carry a HD slime tube on longer rides for this reason. It took me a few times to realize that a regular tube won't work, it is almost impossible to get all the thorns/goatheads out. I carry a small kit that has bike plugs, a few automotive plugs, a few pieces of cut up t shirt, a boot and cement. I also have a suture kit with thread already attached. I keep most of it in an Altoids tin so the cement doesn't get crushed and punctured and you win up with any empty tube. I did fix a 2-3" tear in the middle of nowhere about five miles from Cochran on the PicketPost ride. Sew, glue, boot on the inside, slime tube to keep it there and it held for the rest of the ride. Riding is better than walking any day. The best start however is to use appropriate tires. If you want low rotational weight, you need to get good at repair. Specialized Grid or Maxxis exo at the minimum. A good practice is the next time you want to install a new tire, cut/puncture/tear the old one first and practice repairing it with the stuff you have on your bike/pack whatever, but don't use the stuff in your garage. This way you will get good at what you have and figure out what you need.
    Really useful--thanks!