mtbr member

Desert Classic + Rain - Hikers = Primo

That is all.

mtbr member
    Heading out as soon as I get done with this meeting. Looking forward to a fun ride on this beautiful day.

mtbr member
    Gotta love that velcro-like-hookup . the phoenix trails were due for a good soak. more to come they say. i will be rollin' DC on saturday
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    I had myself a pretty nice early morning rip out to the helipad. Well except for 1X9 chain retainer up front kept dropping my chain down to the little ringer.

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    Lookin forward to my ride there after work. I'm going to try and stay really busy today so the time flys!
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Had a good dusk ride up to the helipad yesterday as the storm rolled in. There were a few lightning strikes after I descended...which was good timing. Damn wind out of the south blew me around a bit. Velcro indeed though...

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    I had myself a pretty nice early morning rip out to the helipad. Well except for 1X9 chain retainer up front kept dropping my chain down to the little ringer.
    Are you using a ramped/pinned middle ring or did you swap it out for a SS ring like a Salsa or Spot?

mtbr member
    Don't forget the automatic air conditioning down in the washes...we are going to be begging for that in about 2 months!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Are you using a ramped/pinned middle ring or did you swap it out for a SS ring like a Salsa or Spot?
    I just put on the retainer, and didn't bother with the chainring.

I went 1x9 because my tire was rubbing on my derailluer, so I dropped a Jump Stop on there. For $10 or $15 I thought I try it out before getting a Paul Chain Keeper.

Fish at Cactus has a Paul's installed on a BMX bike at the shop, and it looks pretty neato. I'm just not sure I get it to work on my bike, because the suspension linkage is pretty compact.

I know E-13 makes a special e-type one too, so that is also an option.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    I just put on the retainer, and didn't bother with the chainring.

I went 1x9 because my tire was rubbing on my derailluer, so I dropped a Jump Stop on there. For $10 or $15 I thought I try it out before getting a Paul Chain Keeper.

Fish at Cactus has a Paul's installed on a BMX bike at the shop, and it looks pretty neato. I'm just not sure I get it to work on my bike, because the suspension linkage is pretty compact.

I know E-13 makes a special e-type one too, so that is also an option.
    I've used the N-gear on a few different bikes, Nick has a nice, simple design.

A SS ring will work better than your current one. A short or medium cage rear der. will keep the chain in place better than a long cage. Also, make your chain as short as possible when on the largest cog, allowing for suspension movement. This is what it looked like on my first FS 1x9 conversion years ago, altering it from the standard drivetrain like you have.
    Desert Classic + Rain - Hikers = Primo-157_5730.jpg

There were no guides other than heavy duty DH/FR ones that would would have worked with that frame back then, so I just used the ft der. and locked it in place with the set screws. While the ft der. would allow it to drop to the granny once in a while, it would also shift it back up to the middle when I started pedaling. Was your tire rubbing on the ft. der. cage when it was on granny, or on the cable pull arm behind the seat tube?

Paul's stuff is nice but you won't be able to keep a bash ring.

mtbr member
    I ran the Paul Comp and it worked pretty good, but it flexed a bit and sometimes would let the chain come off, which then makes it really hard to get back on without an allen wrench.
    a real Dirkbag!

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    Perfect afternoon for a ride but out there today I cashed a rear cassette, chain, rear rotor and taco'd a rear wheel through stupid force peddling up hill as the darn wheel/axle pop'd out.. . I believe it all went downhill when I shifted under power earlier in the ride (made some burs on teeth on two middle sprockets) then I just finished the cassette off with a bang when I was climbing and not even shifting! Maybe I didn't have the rear axle tight enough. Just hoping my rear triangle is screwed up! chainstay looks off a little on the drive side
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

mtbr member
    ...thanks for the tips.

I was thinking I should definitely take a few links out.

Members who have read this thread: 0