Desert Classic HeliPad- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Desert Classic HeliPad

Can you still get up to the helipad at the west end of Desert Classic though the neighborhood? From satellite maps, it looks like you can cut over to the street in the gated community and get up there. I remember when that community didn't have a gate or homes!

mtbr member
    You'll see a sidewalk that turns into a trail that will bring you all the way to the start of Heli. It's on Ray. No Gate. Mountain Park Hiking Trail is the name of it on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3132...2.021604,16.5z

Another one is in a gated community that will bring you to the end of Heli, not sure exactly where it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm looking at dumping off Desert Classic onto this Desert Willow Dr, which is in the gated community and following that to what appears to be the trail up to the HeliPad. I think this is the way I did it "back in the day" but there were no houses or gate then.

Gotta love google maps!

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.3153.../data=!3m1!1e3

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    You can park at alta Dena middle school to get to desert classic. Helipad trail is usually ridden from the East though. Either out and back or East to West then down Goat trail, which connects back to DC. Best option is to access from Ray Rd., follow the social trails through the wash and over a small ridge to the first saddle of helipad trail. That's one of my favorite XC rides in the area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah I'm looking to ride DC from the Pima Canyon TH to the west, go up to the HeliPad, ride the HeliPad trail back East to DC, to the parking lot. I did this a few months ago and we went up the steep trail by the last trail marker pole on the West end of DC. I guess that is Goat Trail? But that is really a HAB. I'm pretty sure you can duck off into that gated community and get up to the HeliPad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Oh that makes sense now and is a fantastic route. You need to head left off DC towards the East end of helipad well before goat trail. It's a left just after the two consecutive steep arroyos locals call "the two b*tches". Turn left, down the wash, back up to the saddle (very steep for a few yards here) where the East end of helipad is. I do the same route you are and ride all the up helipad and then back down the same way. Goat is a fun gnarly descent but coming down helipad is just so much fun, a nice long fast descent before getting back on DC going east back to Pima.