derailleurhanger.com- Mtbr.com
    ride more, blog less

derailleurhanger.com

so about how long does it take to receive your hanger from these guys?? shipped priority mail... been a couple days and i'm getting ansy... i wanna ride
    i like these odds....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    just ordered for my bike last week. Ordered Wed. morning, shipped that afternoon, in my mailbox on Friday.

aka Swamp ThAAng
    4 business days
    Bulls**t is the glue that binds our nation - George Carlin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    just ordered for my bike last week. Ordered Wed. morning, shipped that afternoon, in my mailbox on Friday.
    Same experience that I had exactly.

In fact, I ordered one from Titus on Monday, but to make sure, and to have extras I ordered 2 from derailleurhanger.com on Wednesday, and they were $40 for 2 vs $32 for one.

The Titus one did not show up at all, and the other 2 were in the mailbox in time to ride that weekend. Guess where I continue to order from?

ride more, blog less
    sweeet
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    derailleurhanger.com Their delivery was not the problem, but the quality of their product certainly was. I ordered two hangers from them, and both were worthless in that they bent on first couple rides, with minimal impact. I wrote them, and their hapless response was that their hangers are of aircraft grade! There is no way any airplane can safely fly in these noodle-like hanger material they use. Don't throw your money away.
    I got hangers from the bike manufacturer itself, and has had no problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlepaul
    derailleurhanger.com Their delivery was not the problem, but the quality of their product certainly was. I ordered two hangers from them, and both were worthless in that they bent on first couple rides, with minimal impact. I wrote them, and their hapless response was that their hangers are of aircraft grade! There is no way any airplane can safely fly in these noodle-like hanger material they use. Don't throw your money away.
    I got hangers from the bike manufacturer itself, and has had no problem.
    I did not have that experience at all.

Maybe the brand and model of your bike dictates a different source for the hangers?

The ones I got for my Motolite were quite strong. In fact, when I did bend one, it was not real easy to straighten with my derailleur hanger alignment tool. Conversely, some manufacturers hangers(Specialized comes to mind here) feel like they are so soft that you can bump your foot against the derailleur and knock it out of whack.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I was having trouble with factory Specialized hangers on my 2010 Enduro, so after reading so many good things, I ordered from derailleurhanger. Service was very prompt. So was the part's life cycle.

This is what it looked like exactly 70 minutes into its first ride. Still on the climbing portions of Pass Mountain, so I hadn't hit anything. Grave9 was riding immediately behind me and said the hanger just snapped as I was pedaling.

It clearly took out my brand-new derailleur as well.

The company would not give me a refund. They did, however, send me a bunch of spare hangers. I've gone back to factory Specialized ones; at least they bend and not break.

ride more, blog less
    yea my hanger is holding up strong... it's all 6061 series aluminum, which is very good quality stuff... also manufactured by wheels mfg who also have a pretty good reputation. i was stoked on the shipping too... i ordered it at 1am on a wednesday and it was at my door on friday around mid-noon... just like twowheels, imma happy customer and will continue to order from them... also remember, they're made to break b4 anything else, so they will be much softer than anything else one your bike
    i like these odds....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    They should be engineered to BEND, not BREAK. When a hanger bends, you don't also lose your $75 rear derailleur.

sixsixtysix
    I was having trouble with factory Specialized hangers on my 2010 Enduro, so after reading so many good things, I ordered from derailleurhanger. Service was very prompt. So was the part's life cycle.

This is what it looked like exactly 70 minutes into its first ride. Still on the climbing portions of Pass Mountain, so I hadn't hit anything. Grave9 was riding immediately behind me and said the hanger just snapped as I was pedaling.

It clearly took out my brand-new derailleur as well.

The company would not give me a refund. They did, however, send me a bunch of spare hangers. I've gone back to factory Specialized ones; at least they bend and not break.

Looks like your chain is too short if it just did that.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    wow Blatant. Sorry see what happened. But I believe you, as similar thing happened to me, as I posted before. Them, sending you bunch of spare hangers is little pathetic, as who would trust their hangers after this kind of experience. They really need to back up their product better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Looks like your chain is too short if it just did that.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Also, did he check the limit screw adjustments, or just bolt on the new hanger and the derailleur and ride away?

I always check the hanger alignment when I install a new one. This looks to me like he may have over shifted off the inside of the cog in back, and then sucked his derailleur in. In other words a quite likely case of "Operator Error".

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Good lord. The chain was stock and was not too short. The derailleur and hanger were both brand new. Of course, the limit screws were adjusted. It did not overshift. If memory serves, I was in the 32 front ring and a couple down in the rear. I was not shifting when it broke.

Did I use an alignment tool to install the hanger? Well, no. That's the same question the folks who manufactured the hanger asked. Seriously, it's one bolt and it clearly squares up by eye. Not exactly rocket science.

Not trying to be defensive about it, but "operator error"?

sixsixtysix
    Good lord. The chain was stock and was not too short. The derailleur and hanger were both brand new. Of course, the limit screws were adjusted. It did not overshift. If memory serves, I was in the 32 front ring and a couple down in the rear. I was not shifting when it broke.

Did I use an alignment tool to install the hanger? Well, no. That's the same question the folks who manufactured the hanger asked. Seriously, it's one bolt and it clearly squares up by eye. Not exactly rocket science.

Well, I'll just leave you with this bit of advice that any good mechanic will tell you.

Everything breaks, but nothing just breaks on its own.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's all good, mang. $100 learning experience.

Funny, since replacing with another stock Spec. hanger and another derailleur (same chain, same setup, still no alignment tool), no more issues (knock wood).

Stuff does break and I'm cool with that. However, given this particular set of circumstances, I believe it was product failure pure and simple.

ride more, blog less
    They should be engineered to BEND, not BREAK. When a hanger bends, you don't also lose your $75 rear derailleur.
    .... what sucks is that's what ruined my derailleur and my rear wheel, lol. my hanger didn't break, but it did bend.... bent so that it angled my der. into perfect position to take out 7 spokes completely and kink a few more, as well as almost bending my derailleur in two... like six said, things break.. unfortunately... i just wish everything mtb wasn't so darn expensive... i need a der. guard or something...
    i like these odds....

mtbr member

Don't get too bent out of shape. Stuff happens. I just think that some kind of abnormal force was applied to break it.

From what I have seen their hangers are slightly less malleable, but harder to bend. In other words they are slightly stiffer than hangers like Specialized makes, which bend super easy, but can be bent back easy. These hangers will only bend to a point, and then snap, but that point is still at a point where something has gone horribly wrong, like when a derailleur gets sucked into the wheel. I think that they stay in adjustment better, because they don't get bent out of whack so easy because of their stiffness.

It may not be rocket science, but eyeballing derailleur alignment is very deceiving. It may look straight, but put a hanger alignment tool on there, and you may see otherwise. When I built bikes in the shop I aligned EVERY derailleur before I even tried adjusting the shifters, and this included new bikes right out of the box, and they were almost always off.

In the field, this is not a luxury, I put on a new hanger and set the stop screws, and align it when I get home. Everyone who does home shop work should get an alignment tool. Best investment you can make in tools IMO.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm not too bent. I guess I just get a little irritated when folks jump to immediate conclusions about operator error. I'll be the first to admit when I break gear due to my own stupidity. He!!, it happens all the time.

In this case, though, it was pretty clearly equipment failure based on the circumstances. I wish my camera would pick up the clear-to-the-eye color gradation differences in the break. I'm no metallurgist, but it looks like some weird heat-treating issues.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It seems some folks did have good experience with their hangers. But the fact remains, the hangers I got from them were crap. Specifically 3 hole #61, should not belong in any kind of mountain bike. I went through two of them in 3 rides, and the second one, I had placed by a reputable bike shop with excellent mechanic. Blatant's experience ring a similar tone.

mtbr member
    Maybe the hangers come from different sources depending on model?

This would explain the disparity in quality.

I just know the service was fast and got me riding. And on my bike (Titus Motolite) they have held up just fine.

I had called Titus directly and ordered one, and did not ever get it. I ordered from derailleur.com as a backup plan, and to have spares, and theirs were the ones that got to me by the weekend, saving my weekend. And I did not hear a peep from Titus despite the fact they are only a couple hours drive away from me and could easily have popped one in the mailbox for me.

Hmmm........ come to think of it, not long after calling Titus, and giving my card # to them, someone made $1,300 of fraudulent charges on my card, and I had to cancel it. (Got refunded at least) My luck, I probably gave my card # to the janitor.

Members who have read this thread: 1