The Dells?- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Dells?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

The Dells?

A question for you Prescott folks, do you think there are some good lines in this area for creative big bike free riding? The terrain looks promising and very cool no doubt but are there any drops/jumps with good transitions? I'm pretty sure I see lots of rolling steep stuff but what about air time? I want to get down there and check it out, anyone able to tour a couple Flag peeps around? I don't know Prescott at all so a guide would help. Thanks. J

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was thinking about next Sunday if the weather looks good. Thanks again.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not really, the terrain changes too rapidly IMO. You can ride a freeride bike there, as I do, but you can't really do drops/jumps there. Any bigger ones will not have area to scrub speed or land, etc. Gravity is usually not on your side either, the climbs and descents are too short. I wouldn't recommend it. A 6" bike like a firebird is nearly perfect.
    I won't be around this Sunday, possibly next though, not sure yet.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, Thats kinda what I thought looking at some of the footage and photos on here. I'm sure there is some little fun lines if you really hunt em out. I only have the Highline but I'll get by. I'll send you a pm once I figure out when. Thanks Jayem.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    A question for you Prescott folks, do you think there are some good lines in this area for creative big bike free riding? The terrain looks promising and very cool no doubt but are there any drops/jumps with good transitions?
    It's possible, but the terrain is mainly slow tech which you can do on a big bike, but I think it's a lot more fun on short or no travel.

Air time: Not so much. The little that is available is either drop to flat and/or in the micro-air category.

The area rewards balance, finesse, and power.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Master Gardener
    I finally got out to the Dells on a bike for my first time ever yesterday. I consider myself a very good tech rider for a xc geek and I get some oohs and ahhs from time to time.

But uh... the Dells handed me my arse last night. It was comical. I am so glad, Enel, that I went out there the first time alone. I couldn't endure your ridicule, nor would I have allowed you to take any photos of me flailing around and share them on MTBR or Facebook.

Definitely one of the most unique trails systems in the country. We're lucky to have 'em here. It made me realize that the tech I am good at involves speed. The slow stuff makes me look like a total goon.

So glad nobody saw me out there.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    I finally got out to the Dells on a bike for my first time ever yesterday. I consider myself a very good tech rider for a xc geek and I get some oohs and ahhs from time to time.

But uh... the Dells handed me my arse last night. It was comical. I am so glad, Enel, that I went out there the first time alone. I couldn't endure your ridicule, nor would I have allowed you to take any photos of me flailing around and share them on MTBR or Facebook.

Definitely one of the most unique trails systems in the country. We're lucky to have 'em here. It made me realize that the tech I am good at involves speed. The slow stuff makes me look like a total goon.

I saw you, Bro.
    AND I've got pictures and video. PM me for an extortion quote.

mtbr member

Bummer I missed this flailing around thing. Try out the Concillation trails next time, alot less rocks out there.
    SHITBIRD

Master Gardener
    Where are those? The new Phippen trails? I am heading over there next.

And I *especially* wouldn't have wanted you to see me flailing around Willow Lake. You're even more cruel than the Doc.

The bugs out there were unbelievable.

mtbr member
    Where are those? The new Phippen trails? I am heading over there next.

And I *especially* wouldn't have wanted you to see me flailing around Willow Lake. You're even more cruel than the Doc.

The bugs out there were unbelievable.
    Yep right across from Phippen. As you go in past the gate do not make the 1st left. Stay straight, right thru the bushes and then go left or straight. Its all looped together out there.
    SHITBIRD

drink coffee, ride.
    Phippen? the googles gives me the Phippen Museum. What are these Concilliation and Phippen trails you speak of? Similar to the Dells? Which are fun awesomeness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough
    Phippen? the googles gives me the Phippen Museum. What are these Concilliation and Phippen trails you speak of? Similar to the Dells? Which are fun awesomeness.
    Phippen is the museum and its on the other side of 89 from the gate to Concillation. Concillation is the name for that area. The name came from a plane "Concillation" that crashed there years ago killing all onboard. Debris is all around from that plane. Alot more flowy then the Dells and alot less rocks on the trail. In time, I will get out there and make some "A" lines. The powers above gave me permision . Could use some help.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    It's "Constellation", as in Lockheed Constellation, the kind of aircraft (a military version though) that crashed there.
    Ya Ya Ya, I'm a mech not a english major or a historian .
    SHITBIRD

Elitest thrill junkie

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Phippen is the museum and its on the other side of 89 from the gate to Concillation. Concillation is the name for that area. The name came from a plane "Concillation" that crashed there years ago killing all onboard. Debris is all around from that plane. Alot more flowy then the Dells and alot less rocks on the trail. In time, I will get out there and make some "A" lines. The powers above gave me permision . Could use some help.
    It's "Constellation", as in Lockheed Constellation, the kind of aircraft (a military version though) that crashed there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.