Deem Hills... Technical Rock-fest- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Deem Hills... Technical Rock-fest

Rode Deems today....wow..whatever tech skills I had turned to ****(thanks Sonoran preserves).

Not the worst of it or best depending on your POV.
    Deem Hills... Technical  Rock-fest-img_20140826_103233407.jpg

mtbr member
    epic gnar gnar shred at the deem bro...

but seriously. looks like we're gonna have our own south mtn here in the north-land soon..

mtbr member
    It's funny because there are many parts of Sonoran that became super smooth after the rain.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    epic gnar gnar shred at the deem bro...

but seriously. looks like we're gonna have our own south mtn here in the north-land soon..
    I actually like how the trails are maturing at Deems. I think once we get a couple more years on them they are going to be very, very, nice! Yeah, you can't get a lot of miles in out there (unless you do the loopy loop thing) but what miles you do get in, you have to work for!
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    What section of the trail is that? I haven't ridden Deems in a few months, but quite a few of the loops are 1 way only for me due to the erosion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    What section of the trail is that? I haven't ridden Deems in a few months, but quite a few of the loops are 1 way only for me due to the erosion.

That's going down the south side, really challenging for a rigid bike. I used to ride deems non-stop at a good pace but now for me it is very difficult to ride a few sections without stopping. I'd be curious to know if anyone can still ride circumference trail cw without stopping.

mtbr member
    The circumference trail (on the west peak right?) used to be rideable (for me) both directions years ago. That south section has been chewed up for a while, but last I rode it cw was the only way I could imagine riding it.

Have you been able to clear the south side going ccw in the past year or so?

mtbr member
    I rode out there the week before the latest storm and it was chunky as usual. It was my first time at night out there riding with couple really fast guys. Kicked my butt, but in a good way. I need to get back out there and ride it again soon. I may ride a 26" hardtail, but I still like some good technical bits even if I can't carry the speed of some others.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yep. Pictures as usual don't do that section justice. Everything on the south side of deem got the worst of it. It's just a matter of resetting expectations. I rode out there on Monday and got really frustrated because everything was requiring more effort than usual. If you ride over there and want to set any PR's you'll get frustrated. So... I'm just going to use it as an opportunity to get my skills better.

Give it a crank
    That looks really nasty, especially for the Deems. Now it looks more like T-bird park.

It's a similar story at the McDowells, Bell Pass Trail is pretty scary with all the loose dirt washed away.

mtbr member
    Deems is a great place to get a solid workout. lots of climbing!!!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    That looks really nasty, especially for the Deems. Now it looks more like T-bird park.

It's a similar story at the McDowells, Bell Pass Trail is pretty scary with all the loose dirt washed away.
    probably going to do a Dbl this weekend. Have you hit Gateway since last week - gawd i hope they stop the sanitation after that.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Yep. Pictures as usual don't do that section justice. Everything on the south side of deem got the worst of it. It's just a matter of resetting expectations. I rode out there on Monday and got really frustrated because everything was requiring more effort than usual. If you ride over there and want to set any PR's you'll get frustrated. So... I'm just going to use it as an opportunity to get my skills better.
    Yeah, I started the loop on the west side and its really exposed all the rocks so I thought the same, not even going to try to go at a good pace. Maybe bigOmike could do a video of the loop.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    probably going to do a Dbl this weekend. Have you hit Gateway since last week - gawd i hope they stop the sanitation after that.
    The sanitation was on lower Windgate Trail, and it was done just in time. The water damage was mostly limited to the new waterbars instead of further eroding the trail itself. There was still damage from earlier rains and it's way chunky in the worst areas but they're mostly small patches, the rest is plenty good. Gotta take extra care going down Bell where many sharp rocks got exposed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    The circumference trail (on the west peak right?) used to be rideable (for me) both directions years ago. That south section has been chewed up for a while, but last I rode it cw was the only way I could imagine riding it.

Have you been able to clear the south side going ccw in the past year or so?

I've never been able to clear the south side going up.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Yeah, I started the loop on the west side and its really exposed all the rocks so I thought the same, not even going to try to go at a good pace. Maybe bigOmike could do a video of the loop.
    If it's anything like much of PMP and what I've heard some of SoMo looks like I won't be riding WELL anywhere for a long time. This summer and the heat killed me for some reason. And now so much of the trails are just loose sandpits. I almost washed out twice just riding through the 7th St tunnel the other day. And the hell climb will be impossible for me for quite some time. Haven't ridden Deem in over a year, maybe more. My rides have been pretty short lately so I've been trying to find shorter, techy trails: DD > Irregular > hike Hairball > Cheese > VOAZ is my typical ride lately 'cause of the heat. And the fact that I'm sucking bad lately. I never found anything technically challenging at Deem so didn't go often.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    If it's anything like much of PMP and what I've heard some of SoMo looks like I won't be riding WELL anywhere for a long time. This summer and the heat killed me for some reason. And now so much of the trails are just loose sandpits. I almost washed out twice just riding through the 7th St tunnel the other day. And the hell climb will be impossible for me for quite some time. Haven't ridden Deem in over a year, maybe more. My rides have been pretty short lately so I've been trying to find shorter, techy trails: DD > Irregular > hike Hairball > Cheese > VOAZ is my typical ride lately 'cause of the heat. And the fact that I'm sucking bad lately. I never found anything technically challenging at Deem so didn't go often.
    If you ride the circumference trail CW( just the west side thru the saddle) it would be about 3 mi and very tech in many places and no sand.

mtbr member
    If you ride the circumference trail CW( just the west side thru the saddle) it would be about 3 mi and very tech in many places and no sand.
    big0mike's tech standards are very high... from what I can gather

So maybe Deem's is just plain too easy...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

If Deems is too easy, I really suck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lots of PHX/Glendale fire department activity on the east side right now including a helicopter - hope it's just a training exercise

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSNED View Post
    Lots of PHX/Glendale fire department activity on the east side right now including a helicopter - hope it's just a training exercise
    Nope.
    https://htms.phoenix.gov/publicweb/

mtbr member
    Link has refreshed and can't find history. Hiker rescue?

I crashed off the side of the hill (about 10 feet down) but landed on my feet and only twisted an ankle last week when I caught a rut with the front and OTB. Definitely have to keep the brain on full blast out there right now.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Click Click Click
    Hit Deems yesterday afternoon, It looks like someone was "trying" to sanitize the trails out there, several places where rocks were removed only to reveal a huge hole in the ground. There is very little dirt out there and removing rocks just makes it worse (now have a pothole instead of a protruding rock - not sure if one is better than the other, but if keep removing rocks the trail will disappear). Honestly I think with some foot and tire traffic Deems will be a blast this winter, it will probably take over as my primary ride spot. I "really" would like to see the stuff on the other side of the canal get some official trails
    "You either want to or you don't."

No Clue Crew
    If Deems is too easy, I really suck.
    No, Deems Hills is not easy by any means. The list of people that are slower than me is definitely a very small list. Back when I rode it a few times I could tackle the west mountain loop without stopping. Doubt I could do it now 'cause this summer has destroyed me for some reason. I was hoping to make it to 50 before I started falling apart...

But, Deem has never had anything resemble technical moves. And, by technical, I mean Cheesegrater, Hairball, or National technical. I'll have to make a visit out there just to see if those trails are as beat up as as most of PMP.

My favorite loop is a figure 8. West side CW around to saddle, down then E to the east side and up around and back to the saddle. Then back to the west lot. The climb from the bottom SW corner of the trail up the east side was always brutal.

mtbr member
    The other side of the canal is actually owned by Phoenix now even though the State Trust signs were never removed. Looking up PSP facts found that most of the area north of the canal to the 303 is set to be PSP area. No timeline that I found for that though.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    The other side of the canal is actually owned by Phoenix now even though the State Trust signs were never removed. Looking up PSP facts found that most of the area north of the canal to the 303 is set to be PSP area. No timeline that I found for that though.
    Yup, Deem Hills is the beige area. You can see the line that is the CAP canal. The green areas north of the CAP are part of the future Sonoran Preserve which covers most of the "mountainous" areas north of Deems.

Name:  Capture Sonoran.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  16.2 KBName:  Capture Sonoran TOPO.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  32.1 KB

Give it a crank
    There's a really sweet singletrack loop around Pyramid Peak in that area.