Death Valley 2016- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Death Valley 2016

Would there be any interest in a Death Valley bikepack/SAG ride in March, 2016? My thought this time around is to shuttle the paved sections, and hit some of the out of the way spots like Race Track Playa that we missed in 2014. Also, there are a dozen or so new miles of IMBA-supported single track near Beatty, NV that we ought to spend half a day checking out. Let me know what the interest level is and I'll start assembling logistics.

mtbr member
    With this much lead time how can I not be in?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I do need a bikepacking trip in March, Feb & April are already booked. I'm not missing the Artist's Palette this trip.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Something like meet in Beatty, NV on Thursday, March 3, ride Beatty singletrack on Friday March 4, Saturday morning Titus Canyon (without flash flooding this time), Artists Palette, Badwater, camp (unofficially below sea level near Badwater). Sunday morning be shuttled north to Ubehebe Crater, pedal 20+ miles dirt road to Racetrack Playa, do some exploring and camp for the night. Monday morning ride through and down Lippencott Pass to Saline Valley Road, ride out to Route 190, shuttle back to Beatty, head for home Tuesday morning?

MEGALOMANIAC
    This sounds very interesting to me but I am not in the sort of physical condition it would take to complete the journey. Shuttling makes sense, though and it also makes it more realistic.

GM, leaving from 190, have you ever ridden (or driven) to and around Hunter Mountain's East side and dropped in at Teakettle Junction? That would be some nice cycling adventure, too and a great area to camp.

Curious about the ST near Beatty?

I was just out at DV for 3.5 days of camping/adventuring (Jeep) a few weeks ago. Titus canyon Road was in the best condition I have ever seen it in before.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    There was a grand opening of sorts gathering this past weekend - haven't been yet but Looking forward

TRAILS Oasis Valley | Beatty Nevada

I would be interested in joining in on this DV trip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    GM, leaving from 190, have you ever ridden (or driven) to and around Hunter Mountain's East side and dropped in at Teakettle Junction? That would be some nice cycling adventure, too and a great area to camp.

I was just out at DV for 3.5 days of camping/adventuring (Jeep) a few weeks ago. Titus canyon Road was in the best condition I have ever seen it in before.
    Hawg, I like the Hunter Mountain idea. Last time it would have been just above snow line, so we stuck to the northern side of DV (Grapevines, Funerals, Green Valley Range). But if the weather cooperates, I think that would be a great route. Just need to get out and cache plenty of water before the ride.

Dave Spicer of Beatty is really spearheading the ST building effort going on north of Beatty. He envisions about 300 miles of new singletrack when complete. I mapped the hills just to the east of Beatty years ago, and often thought that this would be an awesome area for singletrack! Hats off to Dave for taking this on!

I'll revisit the map and look into Hunter Mountain, would be a good lollipop. As for Titus Canyon, on our last bike adventure, after nearly a year of no rain, the floor of DV and surrounding mountains got nearly 2 inches overnight. Titus Canyon was impassable by jeep, and a mudbog on bikes. Thanksfully there was a hose at Furnace Creek to clean off the cassettes, chains and derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    A Ubehebe Lollipop is just about 70 miles long, starting at Ubehebe Crater, heading S on Racetrack Road past Teakettle Junction to the Racetrack, then down through Lippencott Pass to Saline Valley Road, left on Hunter Mountain Road to Teakettle Junction, bang a right and head back to Ubehebe Crater. Would make a great two or even three day journey with everything there is to see along the way. And throw in a day down at Artists Palette Drive and that would cover more of the real highlights of the park, plus get us on some seldom-traveled dirt as well.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    A Ubehebe Lollipop is just about 70 miles long, starting at Ubehebe Crater, heading S on Racetrack Road past Teakettle Junction to the Racetrack, then down through Lippencott Pass to Saline Valley Road, left on Hunter Mountain Road to Teakettle Junction, bang a right and head back to Ubehebe Crater. Would make a great two or even three day journey with everything there is to see along the way. And throw in a day down at Artists Palette Drive and that would cover more of the real highlights of the park, plus get us on some seldom-traveled dirt as well.
    That's HUGE. March will be nice. Spring bloomy down low and cool/cold up high (maybe even snow in a wet Winter- I really doubt it). I've been through light snow (jeeping) on Hunter before. The high elevation bloom was on big time when we were in the Park a few weeks back. 4000'-5000' was all colorful.

You guys may want to where radioactive safety suits while riding through the Oasis Valley trail system.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Put me in very tentatively! I really wanted to go last time.
    Shit happens...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    None.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.