Thread: Dear traildoc

mtbr member

Dear traildoc

I had the wrong impression of you, and I'm sorry for flaming you a few days back.

Man, why is it so hard to type those words.

I had planned on starting up this thread with another round of lighter hearted ribbing/flaming/trolling, but after a day riding with TD, getting some dinner and swapping stories, (he even hooked us up with a pool/swim/hot tub) well, my heart just isn't in it.

I'm not the most traveled/experienced mountain biker around, but I've seen enough to know that smart money in a horse fight says TD can ride more difficult rocky tech terrain than ~%99 of mountain bikers on the planet, and then when you consider how old chronologically challenged he is, its pretty damn inspirational all in all.

The thing that made me realize the dude really knew what he was doing was when rockman posted up that he built LPS, and it was just him and his wife that built it. Anyone that has ridden that trail knows how ridiculously fun it is, its the only trail that has actually caused me to laugh while I was riding it because it was so damn fun. And then to hear that when he built it he was telling all the moab locals that it was a "non-locals only" trail and they weren't allowed to ride it, holy ****, I cried myself to sleep last night laughing about that, I guess there is a thread in the Utah forum about it somewhere which I'm sure is chock full of lulz.

TD has the complete opposite of the elitist exclusionary mountain bike mentality, he'll show anyone anything they want to ride, which is part of why I figured he was a kook, and how old is he anyway? WTF is going on here? It just didn't add up to anything that really made sense, but I was wrong.

He also happen to be a black belt troll, and really, would you guys want it any other way?

We rode the hangover trail yesterday which is the craziest trail building I have ever seen, and since I do have to honor the oath I took as the self appointed supreme superior re-namer, hangover will now be known as "sorry boys, I'm straight", and, traildoc will be known as "Gramps".

If I throw enough different new names out there maybe one of them will stick, yea?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay
    I had the wrong impression of you, and I'm sorry for flaming you a few days back.

I had planned on starting up this thread with another round of lighter hearted ribbing/flaming/trolling, but after a day riding with TD, getting some dinner and swapping stories, (he even hooked us up with a pool/swim/hot tub) well, my heart just isn't in it.

I'm not the most traveled/experienced mountain biker around, but I've seen enough to know that smart money in a horse fight says TD can ride more difficult rocky tech terrain than ~%99 of mountain bikers on the planet, and then when you consider how old chronologically challenged he is, its pretty damn inspirational all in all.

The thing that made me realize the dude really knew what he was doing was when rockman posted up that he built LPS, and it was just him and his wife that built it. Anyone that has ridden that trail knows how ridiculously fun it is, its the only trail that has actually caused me to laugh while I was riding it because it was so damn fun. And then to hear that when he built it he was telling all the moab locals that it was a "non-locals only" trail and they weren't allowed to ride it, holy ****, I cried myself to sleep last night laughing about that, I guess there is a thread in the Utah forum about it somewhere which I'm sure is chock full of lulz.

TD has the complete opposite of the elitist exclusionary mountain bike mentality, he'll show anyone anything they want to ride, which is part of why I figured he was a kook, and how old is he anyway? WTF is going on here? It just didn't add up to anything that really made sense, but I was wrong.

He also happen to be a black belt troll, and really, would you guys want it any other way?

We rode the hangover trail yesterday which is the craziest trail building I have ever seen, and since I do have to honor the oath I took as the self appointed supreme superior re-namer, hangover will now be known as "sorry boys, I'm straight", and, traildoc will be known as "Gramps".

If I throw enough different new names out there maybe one of them will stick, yea?
    I think (hope?) 99% of the folks on MTBR realize this.

(Also, something tells me we're having the wool pulled over our eyes.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    If TrailDoc built hangover then anyone here who says he builds trails that are too easy are fools. Respect TrailDoc, I need to come ride with you here soon.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    my favorite thing about traildoc is his ability to create trolls out of people who do not think they are trolls. he wins silly e-arguments every time by sitting back and watching people make dumb generalizations about things they know nothing about. he hooked me a couple years ago.
    truly funny stuff.

Elitest thrill junkie
    This is World Class.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    If TrailDoc built hangover then anyone here who says he builds trails that are too easy are fools. Respect TrailDoc, I need to come ride with you here soon.
    Traildoc did not build HO nor has he ever built any trail that was not sactioned and approved through the NEPA process. If you ride a trail that you suspect was built by him with a signature "sharp-left after a sweet turn-turn-turn-roll and WTF did that trail just do-sweetzombiejesus" you must know that he would never do something like that. He didn't build it, god did, TD might have just been the first to ride it.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member

someone got a handy

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I sure want to ride with him one day as well. His e-personality bugs me, but all the folks that meet him and ride with him seem to have your impression of him. He has a kind of jekyll and hyde - real/virtual - multiple personality swap or something going on. I'd rather ride with him, find him to be a rockin' old man with mad skillz, then laugh at his posts when they would otherwise grate on me. I finally passed some judgement after about two years of e-observation last week, but with this, I'll go back to neutral. Thanks. I'd also like to see his jackhammer work, to see if it is really warranted.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

locked - time out
    Mar 2011
    Jackbombay,

I'm glad to see your mind has changed, (I knew it would, when I met you) his hospitality will do that to ya.

I personaly met TD and his lovely wife about 6 months ago (on a club ride) and have been fortunate to ride with him a few times, would have been more but he does a crap load of trail work. I'm a much better rider from when I met him, but feel I need a few more months of technical riding and possibly A FS bike to be able to keep up with him and not ruin his enjoyment of the ride. He and his wife have invited me on a few of thier rides and I thank them for it, even if I regrettably have to decline (a ride invitation with Darch in the group comes to mind).

In fact TD has Jackbombay on a Highline loop with easy breezy/easy sleazy return! It's jack's second time on Highline so I'm sure he will be smiling when he's done!

TD...Good friend, good neighbor, AWESOME RIDER & TRAIL BUILDER!!!!!
    Last edited by gotcurves; 04-22-2011 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    (Also, something tells me we're having the wool pulled over our eyes.)

I though the dude was a kook as I had been reading some posts from his haters(see this thread for my rant), and reality painted a totally different picture (Yes I know its dangerous to mix the internet with reality) and I changed my mind, and I felt it was important enough to post on the internet, so I did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit
    I'd also like to see his jackhammer work, to see if it is really warranted.
    Here is a pic of munds after he fixed it,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    someone got a handy
    Are you going to think about that while you touch yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by gotcurves
    In fact TD has Jackbombay on a Highline loop with easy breezy/easy sleazy return! It's jack's second time on Highline so I'm sure he will be smiling when he's done!
    Was a fun ride for sure, the wash down to easy sleazy (or the wash was easy sleazy?) was good fun for sure And thanks for taking me down highline the first time

I though the dude was a kook as I had been reading some posts from his haters(see this thread for my rant), and reality painted a totally different picture (Yes I know its dangerous to mix the internet with reality) and I changed my mind, and I felt it was important enough to post on the internet, so I did.
    Well played! In my opinion, you reacted appropriately as that's the attitude I've consistently seen. He's just really a terrible ambassador online. He should stick to real life meetings. Nice to see that even with the mix you two got into, he's nice enough in person to turn it around. And good on you for posting about it. I'll keep my judgement suspended, on your experience alone, even if it is a worthless e-judgement. A person shouldn't be totally evaluated on the text of their dancing fingers, after all, even if they come off like dahooooshes

The sax was nice too. Thanks.

banned

Jack:

Thanks for the kind words. It has been meeting you and your wife. The hot tubbing and riding have been great. It is nice having someone cover my back when the TD haters start attacking me.

Thanks for understanding that a self-appointed ambassador's role is totally different than a regular ambassador. So far I have been able to hook up with some similar like minded mountain bikers who get what I am trying to accomplish and we get to enjoy riding some of the best Sedona social trails that translate to a great user experience.

Like Ron the Blaster and his wife Melinda said tonight, "this has been one of the best two week mountain biking vacations we have ever had." Those words are music to my ears.

TD

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Lol....Iconoclastic!

banned
    Sep 2007

Is that a dry lake in Death Valley, CA ?

mtbr member
    I don't know, I just Googled "dry lake bed".

banned
    Mar 2010
    Well maybe TD should do a ride with all the TD haters and see how many he can convert to TD lovers.

And afterwards we can all shed some tears and give big hugs.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail-Shredder
    Well maybe TD should do a ride with all the TD haters and see how many he can convert to TD lovers.

And afterwards we can all shed some tears and give big hugs.
    TS:

I would love to do a ride with all the posters who don't like me questioning their POV. I think a good share would finally get what I am trying to accomplish, and would support my efforts rather than giving me a bad time, which I kind of like.

TD

T_E
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    TS:

I would love to do a ride with all the posters who don't like me questioning their POV. I think a good share would finally get what I am trying to accomplish, and would support my efforts rather than giving me a bad time, which I kind of like.

TD
    TD - Looking forward on riding with you this weekend! I'm sure it's one for the books!
    It's a chronic addiction

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    for a couple colorado girls on their first trip to AZ, td and his wife set a really positive tone for what was an amazing week there. they are great ambassadors with a seemingly limitless passion for building and sharing singletrack fun. everyone should be so lucky to run into people just like them on their first ride in a new town.

Quote Originally Posted by Saleeda
    for a couple colorado girls on their first trip to AZ, td and his wife set a really positive tone for what was an amazing week there. they are great ambassadors with a seemingly limitless passion for building and sharing singletrack fun. everyone should be so lucky to run into people just like them on their first ride in a new town.
    TD? Maybe? For me, the enigma grows! Maybe I just want to believe he's stoking his own fire, making his online persona only that much more schizophrenic.... I also like to think he's azphxrider too.....Awesome. But that's just me hoping for crazy.... either way, congrats on more positive comments.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saleeda
    Saleeda:

Thanks for your nice response. Let me know if my check bounces, I will send you another one. I am riding with our new found friend, Bruce from Canada tomorrow. We are going to try out Damifino and maybe Killer Bee to Brew Pub.

See you the next time around, be sure to look us up again.

TD

Members who have read this thread: 2