Dear Sedona Red Rock Ranger District trailbuilding folks,- Mtbr.com
    slower than you

Dear Sedona Red Rock Ranger District trailbuilding folks,

My local winter fatbike trails are closed due to helicopter logging of all things. And, well, frankly I'm just too old to ski everyday anymore, my legs just can't take it. All these things, put together, have compelled me to spend several days of my Spring Break this week becoming, I guess you could say, reacquainted with Sedona, a place I've ridden semi-regularly since 1991.

I'd just like to say THANKS, in a huge way, to whomever among you did what you did to make all those new trails and realignments out west of town happen, stuff on both sides of Dry Creek. Back in the day all that was some way far out, long, hot, up/down, loose scree, hard-scrabble, free-form, route-finding, tooth rattling, butt ruffting, (hike-a-)bike riding. What you've (re)made of it hasn't caused me to miss any of those old-school routes at all. Not for a minute. Not one bit.

The new Girdner is steeped in beauty and a real work of art. The new Last Frontier (formerly Middle Finger) is absolutely glorious and inspired. The new Outer Limits is both lovely and graceful in ways that I could never have imagined.

I'd like to give all of you earnest and hardworking volunteer trailbuilders, and likewise the agencies and land managers who permitted these efforts to occur, a prolonged and sincere standing ovation! I can't wait to ride your encore performance, whatever and wherever it may be.

Well done and thanks again!

Dear Sedona Red Rock Ranger District trailbuilding folks,-img_1479a.jpg
    The outer limit of Outer Limits
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

My other ride is your mom
    #slow.hand.clap

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    My local winter fatbike trails...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1479a.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	1243365
    The outer limit of Outer Limits
    Rockychrysler - there is a long list of people/organizations who made this happen. At tomorrow's Western Gateway volunteer trail work day après, I plan to read your kind words to the volunteers and RRRD staff in attendance - many of whom have been involved since ground broke on November 8, 2018.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SunUpRanch View Post
    Rockychrysler - there is a long list of people/organizations who made this happen. At tomorrow's Western Gateway volunteer trail work day après, I plan to read your kind words to the volunteers and RRRD staff in attendance - many of whom have been involved since ground broke on November 8, 2018.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

slower than you
    Right on. That's very cool.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Seems to me implementation is the easy party. A project of this size requires an enormous amount of public scoping, route planning (ie., field surveys and mapping), and proposal generation. As I recall quite a few folks in this forum responded to requests to write comment letters back in 2016. Much of the initial concept routing and facilitation was coordinated by Tyson Swazy (aka Capt. Ahab) in 2015 before he was lured off to IMBA trail solutions under the direction of VVCC. It was all in the making coming out of the trails planning meetings in 2012 and 2013. Phil and others put their stamp on the proposed alignments and now it's all being built with SRRTF and VVCC funding and community assistance. And of course local builders put in some pretty sweet trails prior to all that happening.

Circling back to the OP's gratitude this is not a small thing. It takes a village and we all should be stoked that at least in the Red Rock District there is a land manager that is at the table and getting things done. Personally, I am grateful to everyone involved in the process of making Sedona a better place to ride.
    Last edited by rockman; 03-25-2019 at 05:28 PM.