Daylight Savings time....noooooooooo!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Daylight Savings time....noooooooooo!

Well, chime in everyone. Looks like the first bill to hit our floor here in AZ is to start moving our clocks and observing daylight savings time.

My opinion is please NO! I grew up in the mid-west and can tell you it sucks just trying to get back in the groove when the time changes. Hope they give the people a chance to speak but likely not. We shall see.

Added the link for proof factor: Lawmaker files bill to adopt daylight savings time in AZ - FOX 13 News

mtbr member
    I love DST. In the summer you can ride till almost 9pm.

mtbr member
    That's funny. Utah is looking at doing away with it right now.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

mtbr member
    No I agree with crashlongjohn. It takes a month to get back in the swing of things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I hate it here in UK. Light only between 8 and 1630 - at a push. Dont see the house in daylight during the week.

Summer is amazing, light from about 5 until 2130, even 2200 some nights.

Ugh, no.

The rest of the states should give up DST. I LOVE not having to deal with that nonsense.

Ahhh the pain....
    Lame....why would I want more really hot daylight hours in the summer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Whatever they do - hope they don't go Pacific time. Moved to Vegas a few months ago and nothing is worse than the sun going down at 4:30 (gets dark earlier) on some of the best riding days during the year

Just Joshin' ya!
    Damn it. I feel like the great thing about not observing DST is you get an extra hour of sunlight in the morning in the summer. Ride when it is cooler. No one wants to have the sun up at 9:30pm. JEEBUS! Time to start writing my legislators.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    AK is introducing a bill to get rid of it. It totally screws us in the fall when our days are getting shorter, it's nail in the hammer that ensures it will be dark before people get off work.

In AZ it was great as a pilot because I always knew my "home time" by using that as a reference to Universal Coordinated Time. I didn't have to worry about being +1 or -1 to figure out UTC, so as long as I just remembered my own time zone, I could always figure out UTC.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Meatbomb
    I live on EST due to work so in the winter my 6am calls move to 7am... I'm cornfused on how it would impact that ... would they be 6am year around or 7am?

Click Click Click
    If they do this I am going to be pissed. First, I love that we do not participate in the madness called DST. I like the simplicity of not having to change the clocks... I LOVE NIGHT RIDING IN THE SUMMER. If it does not even get dark until 9pm, I won't get to bed until 1am - NO BUENO
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Remember it is "Spring Forward, Fall Back" which means that in the winter months (the best time of the year to ride in Central AZ) it gets darker an hour earlier (when it is warmest/most pleasant) and light an hour earlier in the morning when it is still 40 degrees.

How about our stupid government spend time and money on the budget and how they are going to pay the schools back millions? Can't decide a letter, email or baseball bat to the groin for these idiots.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Can't decide a letter, email or baseball bat to the groin for these idiots.
    I think the last option is the only thing that would get their attention. I have a feeling that emails/letters from us mere citizens goes right in the can. They are merely pawns for the PAC's and Corps who feed them $$$

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post

Dude you live in Ventura... Summer in the Arizona desert we cannot ride in afternoon daylight hours... We have to wait for the sun to go down first...

Now do you get it ?

Ahhh the pain....
    Yeah, I think for those of us who do outdoor activities (bike, run, walk, yardwork, whatever), DST is really lame. Sure if we had a temperate climate in the summer, having light till 9 or 10pm would be great... but c'mon, look at the climate of where 80+% of the state lives. Personally, I dig when it gets light at 5AM in the summer...feels like you can get a real ride in w/o lights and still work normal hours.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    YES, agree

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Lame....why would I want more really hot daylight hours in the summer?
    Bingo... I want it to get dark earlier in summer. Means the heat is going down.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Lame! the best way to get their attention is to remember all the names that voted to pass this and vote them out when their time is up. Letters do make a difference so let them know.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i say we should all just use GMT

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Lame! the best way to get their attention is to remember all the names that voted to pass this and vote them out when their time is up. Letters do make a difference so let them know.
    I sent that dude a well written note explaining why myself and other folks who enjoy outdoor activities in the hotter part of the state would not want DST.

Click Click Click
    I sent that dude a well written note explaining why myself and other folks who enjoy outdoor activities in the hotter part of the state would not want DST.
    I am going to do the same.

Sponsors of this bill:

Sylvia Allen - Member Page

Paul Boyer - Member Page

livin' the dream......
    HELL NO! I look forward to riding early in the summer! Cool temps and daylight are a gift here in the summer. I grew up in a place that had four seasons, and as a kid loved the fact that it was light out at 9PM. Why the heck would we want that here!!!!

I am writing the guy who intro'd this to express my displeasure.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Agreed, but I HATE IT in the Winter. It gets dark at 4:30-5:00!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Meh, DST isn't great, but it's not the end of the world either. Some of you guys are way too dramatic.

My only thing is that DST is getting shorter and shorter each year. Eventually, the two ends are going to meet each other and there's gonna be no DST. Fall back was really late and I think spring forward is in March. For four or five months, what's the point?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Meh, DST isn't great, but it's not the end of the world either. Some of you guys are way too dramatic.

My only thing is that DST is getting shorter and shorter each year. Eventually, the two ends are going to meet each other and there's gonna be no DST. Fall back was really late and I think spring forward is in March. For four or five months, what's the point?
    Uhhhhhh. I don't know Wtf you mean.

Click Click Click
    Uhhhhhh. I don't know Wtf you mean.
    LOL! No drama from me here. I just think it is ridiculous. DST is stupid. Other states are proposing to get rid of it... Just more politicians trying to find something to do with their time. So if we express our opinions about something that directly affects us (riding time), that makes us dramatic? Ok dude.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbyte View Post
    I think the last option is the only thing that would get their attention. I have a feeling that emails/letters from us mere citizens goes right in the can. They are merely pawns for the PAC's and Corps who feed them $$$
    Call their staffers and office. They have people there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Call their staffers and office. They have people there.
    Done. The more people that call / email the better. Only took 5 minutes.

jps
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

DST......yes!

I would love DST in FLG, nothing better than late summer nights for people to ride after work up here!

How much further ???
    Name:  Chicken-little.jpeg
Views: 354
Size:  10.7 KB
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    The opposite is this- DST means sun goes down earlier in the winter. Mid week rides are usually in the afternoon for me since I hate cold so that would suck. I called them and threatened to kick them in the nuts.

Always in the wrong gear
    The opposite is this- DST means sun goes down earlier in the winter. Mid week rides are usually in the afternoon for me since I hate cold so that would suck. I called them and threatened to kick them in the nuts.
    Exactly.

Can you imagine how terrible it would be if DST was implemented, and we 'fell back' now? It's practically dusk at 4:15pm. How pi$$ed would we be if the clock said 3:15pm with this remaining daylight?

What we need is 'reverse' DST, and we 'spring forward' in the fall, and fall back in the spring, to the timezone we have now....I'd be fine with it being 5:15 now instead of 4:15, and sunrise at 6:30 am, instead of 7:30am.

Meatbomb
    If implemented now would we change our clocks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Dst means moving the clocks forward in the summer, not back in the winter. Winter time would always stay where it is now. We would just gain an hour of light in the summer if dst is implemented.

Click Click Click
    Check out this gem of a quote from this article (you can't make this stuff up): Bill would put Arizona on daylight-saving time

"One of the big reasons Arizona didn't participate was that it was too hot," Lovas said. "But everybody has air conditioning now."

This one is pure GOLD - Of course everyone in AZ is on their couch stuffing their faces with pizza, chocolate cake, and diet soda and sitting on the couch watching honey boo boo after work while being blasted by ice cold ac.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    To let everyone know and want to thank those that did send feedback to the representatives. Looks like it has been stopped.

Daylight Saving change bill halted by Representative Phil Lovas - ABC15 Arizona

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by crashlongjohns View Post
    To let everyone know and want to thank those that did send feedback to the representatives. Looks like it has been stopped.

Daylight Saving change bill halted by Representative Phil Lovas - ABC15 Arizona
    Yeah, I got a very well worded response from Phil indicating this also. Guess they got the point

banned
    Sep 2010
    DST all year long, for me. That's what you already got in AZ, right?

Plus, I'm forever doing the dyslexic-thing with the popular saying......."Fall forward, Spring back"

mtbr member
    All around the world DST is about to become a relic of the past....so now Arizona decides to join in on the 19th century invention.

BRILLIANT !

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    All around the world DST is about to become a relic of the past....so now Arizona decides to join in on the 19th century invention.

BRILLIANT !
    They are putting the 'Murica back in America. Don't you know?, the past was always better. The old people can't quite remember it, but it must have been good.

Ahhh the pain....
    The dumb f*ck rescinded the bill...realized after all the feedback from people it was a lame idea. Thank God he actually listens to the public.

Meatbomb
    It you consider it a good move to reascend it, why call him a dumb****?

mtbr member
    So funny,
    I can picture it now... Ben Franklin with a jug of whiskey in one hand and the other arm around a half clothed hooker... "Hey darling, I'm going to make everyone change their clocks twice a year"... boisterous laughter rains out by Ben and his sweetheart...

■We're talking about a tradition that was started by Benjamin Franklin in 1784 because he was interested in conserving candles.
    ■And that's only if you assume he was being serious. He's credited with coming up with the idea as a joke.

22 Reasons Why Daylight Saving Time Needs To Be Abolished: Gothamist

How much further ???
    Probably because he is still stupid for creating the bill in the first place (he was "dumber than [email protected] sh!t" then) and now that he rescinded the bill it only added a little intelligence back to him but not enough to get out of the red which is why he is now sitting in "dumb [email protected]" status now. Hope that cleared things up.

PS So is it safe to say the sky didn't fall? I'm glad we got this all straightened out. If we had DST I would have been losing sleep over this.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Ahhh the pain....
    yeah, the fact that he introduced the legislation in the first place is why I gave him that label. Hearing all the feedback from people and rescinding it only proves he can read and do what people tell him... Thus, on the continuum of "smart-f*ck" to "dumb-f*ck", he is still on the "dumb-****" side of center.
    Maybe 2 pages of comments and drama on a MTBR thread is excessive, but this thread did prompt a few people to reach out to the aforementioned "dumb-f*ck" and voice their displeasure.
    Therefore, our work is done here...let's finally talk about riding.

Click Click Click
    Therefore, our work is done here...let's finally talk about riding.
    Good stuff Ray! As for riding, I finally got to hit the C4 loop in Cave Creek. Pre/Post ride drinks/food at Local Johnnies was AMAZING. The trails were awesome, and the weather, was perfect!

mtbr member
    The dumb f*ck rescinded the bill...realized after all the feedback from people it was a lame idea. Thank God he actually listens to the public.
    Which Representitive did you vote for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    No, not only no but H no! I live, work, pay taxes here, and I vote no. From NW Arizona, 16 years here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

mtbr member
    Yeah
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.