Day of Days!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Day of Days!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it

Day of Days!

The heavens opened up today and deemed me worthy, and my Jeebus knee, which has been resurrected from certain pain and futility through the Almighty Spirit of the Donjoy, to survive through and slay the rocks in the Valley of the Lower Cheesegrater without fear or shedding of blood. A clean run, an Easter miracle! I feel like I slept with the Prom Queen - this MTB sh!t is real. Gotta get it while I can. Looks like I'm going on the table May 1.

Anyone ever make Upper and Lower in one clean run? I'm about 80% completion at the top.

Git some!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I am no longer worthy of riding in your company.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Now that you know you gonna be out anyway might as well push the limits, get all the injuries temporally packaged and meet that insurance deductible.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've never personally seen anyone have a clean run top to bottom. I've been pretty close. Main issue is that one right-hand switch about midway down Upper. The one that used to have the cheater line to the inside. That's the deal-breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I've never personally seen anyone have a clean run top to bottom. I've been pretty close. Main issue is that one right-hand switch about midway down Upper. The one that used to have the cheater line to the inside. That's the deal-breaker.
    You talking about this one? I've always gone to the outside.

Looking down the turn as you come through it.

I've got trouble with the left-hander after that. The rocks get big and the angles get weird. I might not try that one until I get some armor. It looks hungry for flesh.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    No, I don't think it's that one, but pics can be deceiving. It's the right with the super-narrow entrance that's got all the embedded chunder. The rollout is fine, it's getting around the corner that's the issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No, I don't think it's that one, but pics can be deceiving. It's the right with the super-narrow entrance that's got all the embedded chunder. The rollout is fine, it's getting around the corner that's the issue.
    I don't have a pic, but if I'm thinking of the correct one the line I take is to the inside over a flattish rock. I met one other guy on a ride their who takes the same line.

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I am no longer worthy of riding in your company.
    Says they guy that dropped me on the first turn during the AES Kentucky Camp route. That 20 yards of tech that is the Cheese isn't going to help me there!

That right-hander must be after the one in the pic I posted, which must be after the left-hander I haven't made because that is where all the chunder starts to get me. It's chunder that looks hungry for teeth. Can't say I've every really tried either of those two turns (left then right) since I'm usually by myself and without armor. I'll have to come out and play with you guys sometime.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Anyone ever make Upper and Lower in one clean run? I'm about 80% completion at the top.
    I may have to see some video proof of several spots. The corner Blatant is referring to is one Like he said, pics can be deceiving and the corner we are thinking of seems WAY tighter than that turn. It's a tough one for sure. I've never cleaned it but I'm sure I could if I sessioned it for a bit.

And, the junction of Cheese & VOAZ is where we'll usually wait for everyone to catch up so we've never tried the whole thing.

Nice work, though!

I thought you already had your surgery and were recovering from it. What's the next knife for?

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Nice work, though!

I thought you already had your surgery and were recovering from it. What's the next knife for?
    Thanks. No surgery yet. Tentatively it's the first of May. I got a brace a few weeks ago and tried it out on the bike last week with success, and that's keeping me active for now. The arthritis pain is extremely diminished. After a few tests/visits the doc determined that my ACL was busted too, so that's two issues to fix - offloading (osteotomy) and then stabilization (ACL). It's possible to do both surgeries at once, but since this is my fourth ACL, the tunnels they string the ligament through are too big. So during the osteotomy he'll pack them with bone putty or a bone allograft, and then in 6 months time I get to go back and get the ACL finished - and wha-la, two surgeries. Each surgery is 2 months non-weight-bearing, so in the next 12 months, I'll spend 4 of them on crutches. Which is also a long time off the bike. I'll be getting back into it about this time next year. So, yeah, sucks big time. I've at least got four weeks to get some dirt time in!

No Clue Crew
    Ahhh... I saw you had the brace and I don't think you usually get those until after a surgery. That's what made me think it was done. Yep, definitely sucks. Waiting 6 months for my collar bone to heal sucked but being on crutches would be hell.