Danger on the DC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Danger on the DC

Just a warning to anyone who rides the Desert Classic on South Mountain by the desert foothills entrance. People (unknown) have been doing things like scattering jumping choias and and moving rocks into the best lines on the descents. (The rocks are new as of today I think).
    I really have no idea who or why, but they do seem to be placed in exactly the right place to launch a mountain biker. I decided not to move anything just in case it was done on purpose by park rangers. Would they really do that?

skilldest©
    I am trying to understand where you are referring to. Is it immediately after the paved area where it forks off to telegraph pass? Is it on the main DC trail or spur trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sorry yes, it's pretty much right after the paved area.

skilldest©
    Yup then Houston there is a problem on the trail! Sucks to have to do it but if obviously placed in the middle of an established trail, I move the stuff out of the way and move on. Crappy thing is that it does not just affect mountain bikers. Dogs and kids can easily bump into that stuff and it is just not cool. Sadly I have seen a lot of this lately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It really is sad, ya. Do you think it's intentional, like the guy who might have been messing up the National trail? And okay thanks, I'll kick it aside tomorrow early AM when I'm on it again. I would hate for someone to crash or get hurt because I didn't move the rocks. Hopefully the park rangers can take care of the cacti.

Registered Bike Offender
    This has been going on for a while on the National trail. Maybe this guy has moved to DC? There is another thread with an alleged picture of the guy:

http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/i-giv...oc-802738.html
    "Grab life by the bars"

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshawn View Post
    People (unknown) have been doing things like scattering jumping choias and and moving rocks into the best lines on the descents.I really have no idea who or why, but they do seem to be placed in exactly the right place to launch a mountain biker. I decided not to move anything just in case it was done on purpose by park rangers. Would they really do that?
    No. No Park Ranger would do ANYTHING in order to injure a hiker or biker. They would certainly try to shut off undesired lines but they will do it in a very obvious (probably exceptionally ugly as well) and safe way.

skilldest©
    IMO it could be kids messing around. School starts back up for the school district Monday so they are out and messing stuff up (that is what they do best). Could also be a busy-body hiker (a lot of those). Close to the entrance and houses so easy location for anyone to play "mess mess".

Cholla is not to diffcult to remove just takes time and a good excuse to stop and take a break. Best method I have found is to use 2 sticks kinda like chop sticks and flip them off the trail. IMO those can be worse for my dog than rocks. I have seen where kids were standing off the trail and throwing baseball sized rocks at the Cholla so they would break apart onto the trail. Fun stuff I guess. Quick conversation "hey man that looks fun but way uncool" and they walk away. Who knows if it is affective.

IMO this is just pranking around crappy-crap style. If there was a real message to send against trail users there would be much worse tactics used.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    No. No Park Ranger would do ANYTHING in order to injure a hiker or biker. They would certainly try to shut off undesired lines but they will do it in a very obvious (probably exceptionally ugly as well) and safe way.
    I have seen a Trail Steward try to hurt themselves on the trail does that count?

Looking forward to this years "greatest hits".

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    I have seen a Trail Steward try to hurt themselves on the trail does that count?
    Depends on what color shoes he or she is wearing... Purple I'm told is an extremely solid and masculine color. You see someone wearing purple shoes on a bike and you know he means business.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Depends on what color shoes he or she is wearing... Purple I'm told is an extremely solid and masculine color. You see someone wearing purple shoes on a bike and you know he means business.
    Yea that is EXACTLY what I think.

mtbr member

Registered Bike Offender
    Anytime there is wind, or even animals in the area I see cholla scattered in the trail. Not sure if that was the result of "boobytrapping". I rode the McDowell comp loops yesterday and there was cholla all over the place from the recent storm. Not to mention the trail was in rough shape.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Members who have read this thread: 0