D.C. Rider Visits Sedona and Rides World Class Trail- Mtbr.com
    banned

D.C. Rider Visits Sedona and Rides World Class Trail

Today was the typical gathering of the local yokels to do a group ride of some of the Sedona favorites. Since Sedona is a World Class mountain bike destination you never know who is going to show up for a ride.

Today we were blessed with one of Washington D.C.'s best riders. Gerard had been to Sedona two years previously and had enjoyed the riding so much he decided to come back and make another run at it.

He has been monitoring the Arizona MTBR fourm recently, and decided to hook-up with the local bike shop ride to see what all the world class B.S. was all about. Previously he had ridden the Secret Trail area and he has decided to step it up a notch or two.

When he pulled up to the shop we instantly bonded. I could tell Gerard was a special dude and as the self appointed ambassador to Sedona trail riding I took him under my wing.

After finding a bike for him I cleaned up the bike he would be riding, lubed the chain, adjusted the derailleur and set the air to his lean 180 lb. frame. During the set up period you could tell Gerard was really looking forward to the ride he had waited two years to do.

Once we got his bike set up we headed out to one of more favorite riding areas to see how he would. I was really concerned about the heat since they were forecasting 96 degrees for the day. As we climbed the Shelby jeep road it was a little warm but not too bad. When we got up to Cow Pies a little cool breeze picked up and around 9:30 AM it was turning out to be a nice day.

Being a world class D.C. rider Gerard and the rest of the group kicked my butt up to this point. I was beginning to think I was going to be at the back of the pack the whole ride. Once we got to the techie part of Cow Pies the picture changed a little, I was no loner at the back and Gerard was getting to try out some riding on the type of trail he had never seen before. Being a good sport and having good judgment he walked numerous real difficult sections.

When we got to the world-class uphill section, I pointed to where the trail was and Gerard thought I was crazy. I told him there was only one way to make the climb and he had to follow close to make it w/o dabbing. As we started the climb Gerard got off track early on and had to walk a large portion of the climb.

At the top of the slickrock portion I asked Gerard if he had brought a camera. He said yes and I took it from him to take videos of the rest of his ride. As it turned out he said he had the best ride of his life and that even though he didn't ride all the hard sections his riding improved dramatically. He also indicated he was going suggest to the rest of his D.C brothers that they come out o Sedona to do some epic riding.

The picture posted is of one of his most enthusiastic moments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by traildoc; 06-11-2008 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks like he stopped to do some world class aerobics. Good thing he brought his reeboks.

pedaller
    ...and here I was really hoping everyone would just ignore trolldoc's posts...

(hard to resist I know)

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    ...and here I was really hoping everyone would just ignore trolldoc's posts...

(hard to resist I know)

Indeed,
    Call me special, but I love reading this guys stuff, not sure why though?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Indeed,
    Call me special, but I love reading this guys stuff, not sure why though?
    Does it have anything to do with reading about people who travel to a riding destination with the hope of riding some really cool trails and they hook-up with some old fart who is passionate about showing them a the experience they have been dreaming about?

mtbr member
    sounds like a sweet job to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looks like hes running a Lefty C'dale 'something' but geez dont lay the thing on the dérailleur side

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    sounds like a sweet job to me.
    And the pay is good, Lots of big .

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    Looks like he stopped to do some world class aerobics. Good thing he brought his reeboks.

LOL.... Thats what I was thinking.. He's better suited for the World Class Green Belt in Scottsdale.

oh Lucky me
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Does it have anything to do with reading about people who travel to a riding destination with the hope of riding some really cool trails and they hook-up with some old fart who is passionate about showing them a the experience they have been dreaming about?
    i must say, this is an AWESOME shot!!
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

AKA shitbird
    Someone needs to fall off a world class cliff......
    JRA

mtbr member
    Kudos for another world class posting of Sedonas Trails. Gerad is fresh from Richards Simmons Sweating to the Oldies class in downtown Sedona.
    Cool shot of the chute though. Traildoc, you took some advice and are now posting with photos.....NICE!

mtbr member
    Let's get back to sharing beta rather than bashing. Where's the chute?

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrajounin
    Looks like hes running a Lefty C'dale 'something' but geez dont lay the thing on the dérailleur side

Looks like the h'bar is rotated 180..which would make that a Righty

Is that you riding the crack Quailflock?
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

Members who have read this thread: 0