Cyclist killed near Casa Grande- Mtbr.com
    pedaller

Cyclist killed near Casa Grande

Eastbound traffic on Interstate 10 was diverted and traffic on the highway near Casa Grande was at a standstill Wednesday morning as authorities investigated a fatal collision involving a tractor trailer and a bicyclist.

The fatality occurred on the Interstate 10 eastbound around milepost 199, near Casa Grande.

Traffic headed eastbound on the Interstate 10 was diverted westbound on the Interstate 8 as the Arizona Department of Public Safety investigated the fatality, according to a DPS statement.

No further information was available.
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...fatal0813.html
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cyclist on the interstate?

RIP.

mtbr member
    That's horrible but what would possess someone to ride along the 10.

Black and Sticky
    My wife was driving back from Tucson and saw the aftermath, basically a sheet covering a body on the side of the road. "Let's be careful out there."

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    I wonder what the road bike rider attrition rate is compared to car drivers/passengers.

Meatbomb
    Not only dumb but isn't it illegal to be on an interstate on a non motorized vehicle ? Or is that only applicable on the freeways in town?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Not only dumb but isn't it illegal to be on an interstate on a non motorized vehicle ? Or is that only applicable on the freeways in town?
    Apparently not on I-10. When I was training for the Furnace Creek 508, my partner suggested we ride to Flag via I-10 as a training ride. I wasn't sure if we actually could leaglly, but looked into it, and apparently bikes are allowed. However, better judgement got to me, and I suggested a different route.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Apparently not on I-10. When I was training for the Furnace Creek 508, my partner suggested we ride to Flag via I-10 as a training ride. I wasn't sure if we actually could leaglly, but looked into it, and apparently bikes are allowed. However, better judgement got to me, and I suggested a different route.
    I did it once on I-95 in Florida when our van ran out of gas. Its scary as [email protected], trucks coming by nearly blow you off the road. Never again if I can help it.

hopefully there is some explanation, and not just an incompetent driver hitting someone on the shoulder. tragic either way.

interestingly, this weekend on the way to Flag I got pulled by a cop for moving into the right lane on I-17 while there was another cop at the bottom of the hill on the shoulder ticketing someone. The cop said that he expects drivers to move out of the right lane in that situation. I was genuinely sorry for scaring him and absolutely appreciated his point of view, but I explained that the whole line of cars I was in were slamming their brakes seeing the cops at the bottom of the hills (near Verde Valley) and my instinct was to go to space and away from everyone braking. He let me go, but I wonder if I could have gotten a ticket for making a move many would consider smart defensive driving?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

pedaller
    Good thing you didn't ride on I-10 as it is illegal to ride on it and the other freeways in PHX and surrounding cities (101, 202, 60, etc).

I-17 north of town is fine (according to this map): http://www.azbikeped.org/images/map%...0(3-03-06).pdf

It also appers that it's illegal to ride on I-10 between PHX & Tucson as well.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

AKA shitbird
    My buddy rode his bike from Hollywood CA to Flagstaff once and much of that ride was on Interstate 10 outside of Palm Desert CA. Sounds insane to me, not because of the danger but because of the boredom you would encounter on the way!
    JRA

mtbr member
    Here's part of what ABC 15 is reporting on their site:

The bicyclist was traveling eastbound on I-10 on the emergency shoulder in the area of milepost 199, approximately ten miles from Picacho Peak.

A tractor-trailer was traveling eastbound in the right lane in the area.

The driver saw the bicyclist and began to change lanes to the left, but the bicyclist crossed the right lane into the left lane for an unknown reason.

The bicyclist veered into the path of the driver and was hit.

The driver traveled into the median, then back up onto the roadway before stopping on the emergency shoulder.

A DPS Officer arrived at the collision scene close to 9:40 a.m. before emergency calls were received.

Emergency medical personnel pronounced the bicyclist dead at the scene.
    Full story: https://www.abc15.com/news/state/sto...6-dbe7b7b74600

The bike doesn't look like something a cyclist would normally ride.

Meatbomb
    my partner suggested we ride to Flag via I-10 as a training ride. I.

Is that even possible?

maybe you meant I-17

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sounds like a suicide to me.

Meatbomb
    I had that same thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by QCdirtbag
    Sounds like a suicide to me.
    Yup.
    If so, I really feel bad for the semi driver. Sounds like he did what he could to avoid a collision.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    Good thing you didn't ride on I-10 as it is illegal to ride on it and the other freeways in PHX and surrounding cities (101, 202, 60, etc).

I-17 north of town is fine (according to this map): http://www.azbikeped.org/images/map%...0(3-03-06).pdf

its fairly common for commuters to ride from mtnaire and kachina village into flagstaff on i17... i lived in mtnaire for about 7 years and passed the same folks every morning. always thought they were nuts for riding on an interstate but that is the only paved route into town...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg

Complete brain fart on my end. It was I-17 he suggested we ride. I-10 doesn't even go to Flag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Is that even possible?

maybe you meant I-17
    Yep, I meant I-17.

Members who have read this thread: 0