mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Cycling Routes- Arizona January

My time is roughly from Dec 28-Jan 10th

I'm being paid to drive a vehicle from Toronto to Arizona. This means I can pack a bicycle and tour the state when I drop the car off.

Last year I cycle a few thousand km in Patagonia camping at the road side or in the wilderness most nights. Wilderness camping is quiet and it means I don't have to unpack my wallet but how often am I going to be able to do this?

Originally I planned to cycle from Apache Junction to Roosevelt on the 88 then along the 288 to Young until it meets the 260 which I will take to Camp Verde where I'm going to head to Arizona.

Perhaps you guys will suggest a part of the Arizona trail which is more remote and I'm quite prepared to bring a mountain bike instead of a road bike. I'd actually prefer to ride more remote trails but it is December now and my sleeping bag's limit is 32.

Aaron

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Bring the MTB!! I'd skip the route you described mostly because as you get north of Roosevelt it will be cold. Especially at night and that 32 bag just won't cut it. Next week in Phoenix the overnight lows are going to be in the mid-30's for reference.

Unfortunately, most of the AZT through that part of the state goes through Wilderness, so you'd have to detour around it anyway. So, the AZT is pretty much OUT for this route.

The route I'd suggest would be to start in Gold Canyon heading west then north to Cottonwood on the Flagstone500 route. Plenty of re-supply options along the way and you'll get to ride some great singletrack for most of the ride including: Gold Canyon, Hawes, Some of the McDowells, the BCT and depending on your route near Mingus Mtn you could hit all the fun trails there too. Take a detour and get in to Cottonwood via Jerome OR simply stay on the dirt road & do the quick up & over into Cottonwood.

This route will keep you lower in elevation until Mingus, but you can decide how you want to approach that when you get there based on weather & conditions. Either way, it can be done in an afternoon so you wouldn't have to camp up on the mountain.

Here's the entire Flagstone500 route, use what you need.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Amazing. Thank you. I want to check out this route.
    Unfortunately the link brings with only HTML code.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Ok so I found this website which shows a lot of mt bike routes around Phoenix. I definitely see how its possible to get from Gold Canyon to Cottonwood almost entirely off the roads. And that route on the Arizona trail from Phoenix to Tucson looks pretty amazing too.

Gold Canyon, Gold Canyon Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

I don't have a GPS but I guess I'm going to have to look into getting one.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron22 View Post
    Amazing. Thank you. I want to check out this route.
    Unfortunately the link brings with only HTML code.
    The link is a .gpx file to download, not click on. 'Right-click, save as'....
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    The link is a .gpx file to download, not click on. 'Right-click, save as'....

I'm viewing this on my phone right now. This is exactly what I need!