mtbr member

Current Prescott trail conditions

Four days of rain since my last ride and heading out tomorrow. How are the Thumb Butte and Walker Rd. area trails holding up? I figure most of the Granite Mt. area is ok due to the decomposed granite soils, but would rather ride the first two areas. Any first hand info from today or yesterday? I checked Trailforks and couldn't find any recent reports. Thanks!
    Veni vidi velo!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I figure most of the Granite Mt. area is ok due to the decomposed granite soils
    haha!

There are definite/numerous death-mud sections in Granite Basin, 347, 341, 322, 345, 308.

Other notables include 62, Badger Mtn/Sundog.

There are more but these are the big ones in my experience. Generally, stay out of GB and off of those mountains just south of 69. Go to Thumb Butte, ride Emmanual Pines singletrack, 305 to 297 and up on Spruce Mtn. White Spar and the stuff up around Goldwater, etc.

Yes, you kind of can ride GB in these conditions if you know where to ride, starting around the lake and doing the DG trails right around the lake, but try to ride 347 and everything can come to a halt. Try to ride up to 322 and same thing. Generally not worth it when those conditions exist.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    haha!

There are definite/numerous death-mud sections in Granite Basin, 347, 341, 322, 345, 308.

There are more but these are the big ones in my experience. Generally, stay out of GB and off of those mountains just south of 69. Go to Thumb Butte, ride Emmanual Pines singletrack, 305 to 297 and up on Spruce Mtn. White Spar and the stuff up around Goldwater, etc.

Yes, you kind of can ride GB in these conditions if you know where to ride, starting around the lake and doing the DG trails right around the lake, but try to ride 347 and everything can come to a halt. Try to ride up to 322 and same thing. Generally not worth it when those conditions exist.
    Yeah, I have been stopped by death mud on one section of 347. Soil type changed abruptly and I was in it before I knew it. Wheels stopped turning in about 20 feet. Other areas at GB were fine on the same day. Based on your reply, I'll probably head up to Spruce Mt today. I would have thought the north side of the loop would be muddy, but never been up there right after a rain. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by veloborealis; 07-13-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Groom Creek/Spruce Mt. Loop (307) was in decent shape today after four days of sporadic monsoon rains. Very little mud, a few puddles, and sections of trail where you could tell runoff had been flowing on the trail: channeling, newly exposed rocks, streamcut edges, etc. The waterbars were doing their jobs for the most part. Much better condition than I expected. Thanks for the recommendations, Jayem. Thumb Butte area tomorrow.
    Veni vidi velo!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I would have thought the north side of the loop would be muddy, but never been up there right after a rain. Thanks for the info.
    There are definite spots on the South side that have the same problem. Right by the lake, not so much, but head up a little ways and try to do the 347 loop and yeah. That 322/347 intersection is bad. 322 is bad. The death-mud in GB sidelined me from completing the circle trail a few years ago.

I used to hit the GB loops all the time since that was close to where I lived, but you are wise to just avoid the area when the area has received that much moisture. The same moisture that makes death-mud in GB makes hero-dirt up near Goldwater. The death-mud can persist for days afterwards IME if I'm remembering correctly. Hard for it to exist after a few days of baking in the sun, but it definitely wasn't something that cleared up right away either.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    haha!

Spot on advice, Jayem. Thumb Butte (322, 327, 333, 392, 324, 318, 332, 325) and Goldwater Lake area trails (396, 330, 373, 372) are all in great shape. Amazing how well they drain. Down wood on the trail from the wind, including one newly fallen tree on 327 on the climb to 333), were the only issues. Many riders out today enjoying "hero" dirt.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Rode several trails in the Emmanuel Pines area yesterday. Trails are holding up amazingly well given the amount of rain we have been receiving. Three major rain events in the last week and no mud. Like I said - amazing!
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thought I would post up here about current trail conditions. Considering coming up next weekend to hang out and potentially hike/ride. Will anything be good after the 1.5" of rain that are forecasted through Thursday night? Any amount of snow on the ground currently? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgicklhorn View Post
    Thought I would post up here about current trail conditions. Considering coming up next weekend to hang out and potentially hike/ride. Will anything be good after the 1.5" of rain that are forecasted through Thursday night? Any amount of snow on the ground currently? Thanks.
    Emmanuel Pines area was holding up pretty well last weekend.There was snow and ice in the shady areas and muddy sections throughout. The trail tread was holding up good though as the highly granitic soil type isn't prone to rutting out. We received more snow yesterday and, as you mentioned, more rain is on the way. If you plan to ride I would stick to EP and Thumb Butte areas. Stay away from Ranch and Sundog and, probably, Homestead too.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks veloborealis. Don't get up that way often and definitely want to get out but not if it's going to cause any damage.