Curious How the World Class Trails in Sedona Have Been Holding Up?- Mtbr.com
    banned

Smile Curious How the World Class Trails in Sedona Have Been Holding Up?

Since I have been out of town for the summer, I am curious how my trail maintenance efforts have been holding up on the world class uphill trails in Sedona? I got to spend about 54 hours doing some Whistler trail improvements (mostly trail armoring) this summer and was wondering how riding conditions are in Sedona.

Sedona is a very unique riding area as some of you know and some of the best rides during and after rainy periods are in the numerous washes in the area. Since the washes have gravel in them you don't get much dirt sticking to the bike.

Doc

mtbr member

The trails themselves...

The trails themselves are mostly holding up fairly well, except for the forest circus fall-line sections that, as you would well expect, are slowly turning into washes and ravines. It's the aboveground stuff that is the problem. You know, all those angry plants! It seems that a few good monsoon rains around the beginning of July triggered a buttload of vegetative growth. Front Side of Airport has several cat's claws grown over halfway across the trail, and if you are traveling counter-clockwise, you're moving plenty fast and are almost right on them by the time you see them, so say goodbye to some of the skin on your forearm, 'cause you ain't stopping or going around! There's also a few large, new prickly pear pads grown out into the knee region.

Bandit's not quite as bad, but has a bit of protruding plant life.

Windsurfer is way overgrown...top entrance has small plants growing right out of tread of trail, that make it hard to see. We were stopped at the top intersection, and I even pointed it out to Kenny, and he still took nearly three minutes to figure out where it went! On the way down everyone got slapped in the face several times by large crucifixion thorns! A few riders almost got pushed off the side! Down lower, plenty of live oak (desert holly) ripping at arms and faces.

Harm's Way: So overgrown that it was hard to see where it went at places. Drooping branches from drought-killed cedar and pinion, try to grab your eyeballs! (There was a bit of this on Windsurfer, as well.)

Secret Trails is full of these eyeball grabbers also. And some eco-nazis trashed Ant Hill and the Jump Trail.

Bird Cage is always an exercise in forearm skin removal and route reading, especially at speed. It really doesn't seem any worse than usual.

Jim Thompson, Jordan Trail, and Soldier's Pass all seem about the same as ever.

Thunder Mountain from Rama's house to Dry Creek Road is fairly clear, as well.

Snake Trail has a few things reaching out to touch (or grab) someone.

AZ Cypress and Girdner were both in great shape two weeks ago, except for creek crossings up to 14" deep, followed by chain-clinging sand, then steep climbs, then chain-suck. (Of course, it's really defailleur -suck, because BMX bikes have chains, and they never do that crap!!!)

Tons of cat's claw and drought droop on Ledge and Airy.

Draino is so overgrown that it is hard even for someone who knows it to follow as a hiking trail.

Under the Radar is in fantastic shape except for two ill-placed cat's claws.

Under Under is also in great shape, except a short section about 1/4 mile before the bridge that has been rocked and logged by eco-nazis, but not so badly, that you can't just ride around or over any of it.

Anyhow, you get the picture, most everything is still World-class, and the biggest problem is too few riders to keep this much trail ridden in, rather than overgrown...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc
    Under Under is also in great shape, except a short section about 1/4 mile before the bridge that has been rocked and logged by eco-nazis, but not so badly, that you can't just ride around or over any of it.
    Bike Doc:

Has the Forest Service come in yet to do an alternate trail routing on Under Under for the equestrians?

Doc

Tucson, AZ

dead thread?

F*^*^#%$# Hot.... I think most of us MTBers tend to stay away from Sedona in the summer and head to the holy land, Flagstaff. Ergo, I think this thread might die quickly.

Unless I mention that I am drinking an Alaskan Amber in honor of this.

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm, I bet you two could have called each other and discussed......

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    F*^*^#%$# Hot.... I think most of us MTBers tend to stay away from Sedona in the summer and head to the holy land, Flagstaff. Ergo, I think this thread might die quickly.

Holy land....sheesh....I thought that was Pass Mtn loop at Usery, 230pm in August. I really have to reset my expectations here cuz I must be missing out.

livin' the dream......

Alaskan Amber is my favorite beer. This thread was worth looking at after all! If it was not 10:42 am, I might just go crack one open!

mtbr member

You're drinking in honor of a demented Presidential candidate?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Doc
    It's the aboveground stuff that is the problem. You know, all those angry plants! It seems that a few good monsoon rains around the beginning of July triggered a buttload of vegetative growth. .
    When I get back to Sedona I will certainly be in the trail improvement mode and was curious if I purchased a pair of 12" length lopers and cut down the angry vegetation on the Sedona trail system would that be considered as an environmental disaster and punishable if done on santioned trails?

Is the Forest Service out doing his type of maintenance? Curious if you have ridden Broken Arrow in the last month?

Members who have read this thread: 0