Crime in Sedona- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crime in Sedona

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Crime in Sedona

I plan on driving through Sedona soon and am wondering if there are lots of car break-ins or thefts. I will have a loaded minivan with a bike and am wondering if I will need to move everything into my hotel room or can I leave some things in the van?

I have traveled to Tucson before and got broken into just because I left a shopping bag in the back seat. And people who live there told me it was a common occurrence Is Sedona similar?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    I plan on driving through Sedona soon and am wondering if there are lots of car break-ins or thefts. I will have a loaded minivan with a bike and am wondering if I will need to move everything into my hotel room or can I leave some things in the van?

I have traveled to Tucson before and got broken into just because I left a shopping bag in the back seat. And people who live there told me it was a common occurrence Is Sedona similar?
    Not much of that but I still wouldn't leave a laptop sitting on the dashboard or anything else that might be tempting in plain view.

No known cure
    I've been there more times than I can remember and have always rode from where I'm staying.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I've been there more times than I can remember and have always rode from where I'm staying.
    Well that's true, Sedona is a #vanlife restricted zone. No camping and no vans. But the OP might be able to get away with a mini-van.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks. What about overnights at the hotel? Is there a high risk of smashed windows or break-ins in the parking lot if I leave some stuff in the van?

I know in Tucson, I would move 100% of my stuff into the room.

Big B's Trails
    I would move 100% of my stuff into the room.
    The^ the answer your looking for
    I dig dirt!

EDR
    Thanks. What about overnights at the hotel? Is there a high risk of smashed windows or break-ins in the parking lot if I leave some stuff in the van?

Is there a risk? Of course. As much as in downtown Tucson? No.

Look, Sedona is a tourist destination so lots of people means the possibility of crimes of opportunity. However a lot of those tourists have a lot of money and aren't walking around looking to steal stuff. The locals are largely old and wealthy to some degree because it's not a cheap place to live. So simply not as much riffraff as Tucson or Phoenix of course. Still only you can assess how much risk you want to take. Me? I'd grab anything I don't want to go missing and put it in the hotel room with me. I'll leave a bag of clothes, but the laptop and my bike are going with me. But I do that everywhere I go. Even in Crested Butte where my buddy told me I could leave my bike outside his front door all night. No thanks!

Meatbomb
    Smash and grabs are a crime of opportunity. You can not predict when or where they will happen. It's like dealing with bears, don't leave food out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks. I think I'm starting to get a picture of what Sedona might be like. It's true that smash and grabs are crimes of opportunity. I was just shocked at how frequently they occurred in Tucson to both me and my friends. And I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, not exactly a low crime place and Tucson still surprised me. It doesn't sound like Sedona is like that although there is always some risk everywhere.

mtbr member
    Tucson is well... Tucson. I will just leave it at that. Phoenix is not Tucson and Sedona is not Phoenix.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Well that's true, Sedona is a #vanlife restricted zone. No camping and no vans. But the OP might be able to get away with a mini-van.
    Even at Switchblades Casa? I am sure if you can drag him out of his hole, he will welcome visitors...
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    I am sure if you can drag him out of his hole
    It's not a hole, it's a PIT TOILET....

Meatbomb
    Sedona is probably safer than most cities but with tourist come tweakers that prey on them...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    More importantly Where is Switchblade?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Even at Switchblades Casa? I am sure if you can drag him out of his hole, he will welcome visitors...
    Not safe at his Casa either. He's under constant surveillance by the HOA. His neighbors are fed up with the hot tub parties.

OP, Sedona is safe. I wouldn't worry about it.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Not safe at his Casa either. He's under constant surveillance by the HOA. His neighbors are fed up with the hot tub parties.

OP, Sedona is safe. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Gross, old people hot tub parties. I
    can understand why the HOA is concerned. Neighbors should not hav2 be subjected to that.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    After taking hundreds if not a couple thousand police reports over my career for car break0ins, I wouldn't leave anything in plain view....anywhere. I'm taking reports and/or arrested people for breaking into cars for spare change, cigarettes and one time...a Thomas Guide map book. Don't ask me what a homeless guy was going to do with a map book.
    Carpe Diem!!

TOP TIER LURKER

Next time, stay in the Northern parts of Tucson. It's newer and safer up there.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

change is good
    Sep 2004

Crime in Sedona

I live here. Usually I use a cable lock on my rack. After dark or long periods of time I use a heavy duty chain lock. I do not leave my bikes locked overnight on my rack in any metro area. In Sedona, before I moved here, I locked my bikes in a van in a well lit area when staying at hotels. Little crime here. The cops are pretty vigilant.

And I used to live in Philly.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    After taking hundreds if not a couple thousand police reports over my career for car break0ins, I wouldn't leave anything in plain view....anywhere. I'm taking reports and/or arrested people for breaking into cars for spare change, cigarettes and one time...a Thomas Guide map book. Don't ask me what a homeless guy was going to do with a map book.
    Old underware has worked for me. On the px seat.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Next time, stay in the Northern parts of Tucson. It's newer and safer up there.
    I slept in the back of my car off Catalina Highway the first night I was in Tucson last October and someone tried to steal my bike off my rack while I was sleeping.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I dont know that area but Yeah, I imagine things are getting worse everywhere. We hear "This was such a good area". But it's the people.
    They come from all areas and into nice areas where nicer things are often found.

Many also seem to stroll around without a thought or care of getting caught. The Ring camera footage of people walking up well lit driveways and homes to check the car doors is unreal. Clear footage , well lit and they must be so desperate, you'd have to assume they are armed.
    30 years ago, you'd hear of these tricksters ending up in the Emergency Dept without any call to or for Police. Maybe worse but times changed and protection, laws / lawsuits kind of prevailed.

With a van, and def one without windows, anyone can assume its filled with valuables just because they can't see in it.
    With cars or vehicles with windows, don't even leave a jacket or blanket lying around. They'll assume you used it to cover up a computer or anything of value you don't want them to see, smash the window all for nothing.

Even at that, the personal info in your glove box is often a lure if anything has your name, address or whatever else. ID theft.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    I slept in the back of my car off Catalina Highway the first night I was in Tucson last October and someone tried to steal my bike off my rack while I was sleeping.
    I want to hear this story! What happened?

Meatbomb
    He was asleep in his van and someone tried to steal his bike off the rack. He left food out for the bears and they came for it.

Co Springs
    The cars, vans and wagons boosting outdoor life-style and advertising the brands we like, colorful festive decals and clever sayings or play-on-words has been a thing forever. There is no better way to mark yourself as a potential upscale adventurer or adventure minded enthusiast. This can often indicate someone who has nice things, may be more 'trusting', easy-going or even oblivious. There's a thing called 'vacation mindset' that can be a trap getting people into a bind. Vacation is fun, relaxing and comfortable and sometimes folks let their guard down.
    Some ridiculous numbers of people like 70% that fall to their death at the Grand Canyon were simply posing for a picture.

Crimes of opportunity are in the shadows too and areas travelers are not well versed on can have obvious dangers that locals know of or even expect, vacationers just out for fun are busy enjoying the moment. Some of the great foods, diners and taverns are "off the main drag" and that itself presents opportunity.

I've looked up a few of those people that usually travel solo and do a vid about their set up. They travel a lot, car camp, drive across the county mtn biking, rock climbing or ? here - there everywhere. They show off their designs , window covering, solar set up and sleeping set up or storage compartments, cooking gear etc.... What most have in common is the simplest-looking bare bones rig from outside appearance, knowing they'd be an easy mark and potentially lose everything they own or have of value if they advertised themselves conspicuously, arsty-fartsy outdoorsy / however you might describe.

It gets you thinking along ideas of strategy and planning. Even if the bike is in a hotel room and the empty rack is still a bit of a lure, it's likely someone thinks enough about what might be inside the van or car to peek around.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Doesnít really matter where you are. Itís all calculated risk. Itís a personal decision about how much effort you want to put in to mitigate that risk. Anything can happen, anywhere. Itís not just location, itís day of week, time of day, and closeness to a major highway.

Iíve spent decades traveling around the western states on mtb road trips. Some places I give very little thought to what I leave in the vehicle other than not leaving any obviously valuable items in plain sight. Some places Iíll be sure to hide my change of clothes (containing my wallet and any cash in my pockets) under a folded down seat. Some places I wonít leave anything of true value in the vehicle. The logic behind those decisions is completely personal, and might not make sense to someone else with a closer connection to those areas.

I have a home in Sedona and spend a lot of time there. I consider the risk there to be very low. In Tucson, I would be very vigilant. Itís a personal decision based on whatever information you have to work with.

Back in the late 90s, I had a beautiful, custom built Litespeed titanium hardtail torn off a locked roof rack on my car in Las Vegas. I had only turned my head for about three minutes while checking in with some riding friends at a motel diner near the airport. That area was perfect for opportunistic smash and grabs. I shouldíve known better. Was I surprised? Not at all. My fault for letting my guard down. I filed a police report, rented a bike, and moved on with my day. Homeowners insurance covered it well, fortunately.

I think all of this has already been covered here in this thread, just in different words. Bottom line: Consider Sedona fairly safe compared to other areas of Arizona like Tucson. However, the level of risk you are willing to tolerate is a personal decision you have to make for yourself. If leaving it in the vehicle is going to cost you sleep, haul it into the hotel room.

mtbr member
    Generally, no matter the TH I'll take my wallet with me. I learned that lesson while backpacking up Cibecue off Salt River Canyon. Our Subaru was stolen and later recovered in W. Virginia. It turned out that two punks from Show Low had befriended an elderly couple in Yuma whom they subsequently robbed and killed. They then stole their car and found ours at what is still a rather isolated TH 5 miles down a dirt road from hwy60. They got caught two months later and it took 6 months before we got the 1987 Sub wagon back. It was a long walk to the general store in 100F heat. The punks are serving life at the state Penn.

I digress but that's my worst trailhead story.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by comfycoaster View Post
    I want to hear this story! What happened?
    I yelled at him and exited my car and he thankfully got in his truck (with his lady friend in the passenger seat) and drove off. I tried to get a picture of the truck and license plate, but I wasn't quick enough and the lighting was too dim in the pre-dawn hour.