parenting for gnarness

Creaky Seatpost collar?

I've never had this before, but *I think* the collar for my seatpost is creaking. I've cleaned and greased the seat rails 2x, each time the creaking came right back. So I looked around the collar and greased it a bit, but the action on the quick release seems unsmooth. Just wondering if anyone has had this, can it be fixed, or am I imagining a phantom creak? Its kinda a cheap collar stock from the bike, so no biggie if I need to upgrade.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    I'll let you borrow mine tonight to try it on....if no more creak....you got your problem solved....BTW....you are not imagining it.....I listened to that creak for 40 some odd miles 2 weeks ago....

mtbr member
    The phantom creaking might be comming from your (lower bracket) and being transfered up through the seat post. Greese drys up in this hot Desert climate, especially if you've riden through alot of water, or just cleaning the bike using a hose. I might be way off, but it might be time to pull the lower bracket apart and a good greese repack...worked for me!!!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I'll let you borrow mine tonight to try it on....if no more creak....you got your problem solved....BTW....you are not imagining it.....I listened to that creak for 40 some odd miles 2 weeks ago....
    actually i just realized i have an old spare one from another bike I can swap, along with the post and seat, to isolate the issue. I have a couple different sized posts on other bikes, but this one I think matches my commuter. Its only started recently, and the BB has had relatively recent service + no water, plus only happens when I sit - standing and cranking are quiet.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I to replaced the seatcollar on my bike only to find out it was a loose rear hanger

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just inspect the welds around the TT/ST for cracks really well. I've found this before, and it was the source of "creaks".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Kathleen in AZ
    It's your Chris King headset!!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    It's your Chris King headset!!!!
    Na na, this time it would be the CK bottom bracket
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Tucson, AZ
    Sprinkle some baby powder all up in there.... it worked when I had some creaky and chaffage issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0