parenting for gnarness

Crazy 88 race report and pics

kinda surprised no one beat me to this thread.

me, Noel and James pre-ride
    2009_0808_crazy8801_blog

Pickup Stix
    2009_0808_crazy8803_blog

James dropping into the Canyon
    2009_0808_crazy8806_blog

more pics and blah blah here:
    https://chollaball.net/blog/2009/08/...-tomorrow.html

Thanks Nathan for an incredible day. look forward to hearing how it went for others.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

ms whimy whimp whimp......

I confess, I completely whimped out day of and decided to do my own thing. Yes I'm a roadie and yes, I hate hike a bike more than anyone I know. One time on uppermoto and the rest of those awful trails was enough for me. They really aren't THAT bad but after 35+ miles they hurt!

Anyhoo, Will on the other hand totally rocked the 88 and came in at a respectable 10:50. He rode with Doug G and another guy from Vegas. I was happy that my honey completed it and I've never seen him that tired!

All I can say is anyone completing the full 88 is awesome! One helluva ride!

Tiff

Ridin bikes is fun
    Nice work, very cool. Maybe I'll shoot for that next year.

My other ride is your mom
    I did not post because I did not take pictures (the Mrs. held onto it)....the last thing I wanted to do was carry extra weight for the 88....glad you did though! All the pics I took on route were in the past couple of weeks which I've already posted up within previous posts and on my blog....these were of happier times when I was lollygaggin during pre-rides on the course.

Cholla, it was a blast having someone to ride with on those downhills....after reading your post, I was reminded of the strong feeling that the hounds of hell (you) were on my tail every time my wheel pointed down....so I was pushing my speed past where I normally would have been, had I been solo. Glad I did....LaFawnduh get's smoother the faster she goes.

As for the event itself...Nate did an awesome job for sure...set the bar very high for me w/r to gauging events in the future...but in the end, it's all about the camaraderie which was, as always, awesome. It was great to see Noel again...and to meet Doug....and to chat with Brian about the Mach.

The only thing I would change is to be a little more sanitary after the race...I have a golf ball size singular entity related to monkey butt attached to my left cheek. Funniest thing I've ever seen if it did not make me cry every time I sit down. I half expect to see the alien pop out of it anytime soon and sing, "Hello! Ma Baby"

Lastly...it took me only 24 hours or so before I was home from the event, surfing the computer...looking for more enduro events....it was that fun!

Here are some less than inspiring pics taken before and during my lunch break....
    Attached Images Attached Images

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    I confess, I completely whimped out day of and decided to do my own thing. Yes I'm a roadie and yes, I hate hike a bike more than anyone I know. One time on uppermoto and the rest of those awful trails was enough for me. They really aren't THAT bad but after 35+ miles they hurt!

Anyhoo, Will on the other hand totally rocked the 88 and came in at a respectable 10:50. He rode with Doug G and another guy from Vegas. I was happy that my honey completed it and I've never seen him that tired!

All I can say is anyone completing the full 88 is awesome! One helluva ride!

Tiff
    yeah your Will was sorta riding with us from about mile 55 through 80, though we did not exactly meet. He was pretty strong indeed, put like 10 min on me in the last couple miles once he knew where he was going.

Ohh...ok, that Will and the guy from Vegas. I chatted with him riding up 418 early in the day....and he was with Cholla, Doug and myself when we stopped for water at Rendezvous in Flag there at the end of the day...I believe he went across the street to the Pita place.

Saucy Size
    OWSUM.

The gf and I hiked down into Walnut Cyn last weekend. First time I've been down in there for a lot of years. Holy hannah did it get rocky! At least over at the Sandy's Canyon TH. Hopefully that came up early in the event.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Nah....Sandy's Canyon trail was SW of our route...we never touched it. We descended down to the west off of Fisher Point into the valley with the caves at the base of the eolian sandstone (pic attached), and then headed north towards Flagstaff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ^ ^ ^

I LOVE this area. It's the perfect ride out to picnic in a cave, and then more riding. Absolutely stunning green valley with the sandstone rising into the sky. The AZ trail/Fisher point area is underrated as far as a mtb destination, IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Nah....Sandy's Canyon trail was SW of our route...we never touched it. We descended down to the west off of Fisher Point into the valley with the caves at the base of the eolian sandstone (pic attached), and then headed north towards Flagstaff.
    That pic is beautiful

I love bike!
    Fisher Pt was my first dabble in MTBing. Rode right from south campus NAU to the trail. Brings back some good memories

Nice accomplishments on the 88. Wish I could get motivated/shape to try something like that.

mtbr member

nice ride

I had a blast thanks to Nate and his cadre of volunteers. Beautiful trails and route. Some challenging stuff out there to make the 84 feel like a true accomplishment at the end of the day.
    A little chilling to roll over that puddle of blood on the back side of Buffalo Park. Hope Judd (?) is healing up well.
    Also appreciated the cooperative navigation from some of you around the Secret Trail area. Could have been easy to go wrong at a number of points.
    See y'all back there next year if not at an AES or epic ride.
    Cheers,
    Matt

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz
    I had a blast thanks to Nate and his cadre of volunteers. Beautiful trails and route. Some challenging stuff out there to make the 84 feel like a true accomplishment at the end of the day.
    A little chilling to roll over that puddle of blood on the back side of Buffalo Park. Hope Judd (?) is healing up well.
    Also appreciated the cooperative navigation from some of you around the Secret Trail area. Could have been easy to go wrong at a number of points.
    See y'all back there next year if not at an AES or epic ride.
    Cheers,
    Matt
    did you ride in with 2 guys around 7ish, one named Mike? if so, I think we were at the Secret\Supermoto junction together - might have been yoyoing up 418 with you. i was in a pink jersey on a white kona 29er.

mtbr member
    nice write up. and thanks for at least ringing your bell to announce you'd latched back on my wheel during the inital climb. The worst sound I heard all day was when a geary would come up on my wheel and downshift. grrrrr.

But then some guy told me that I was "killing it on my SS" at the aid station. at the time I hated hearing that. but now...give that guy a beer.

I had a great time on the 44 with my SS. it kicked my butt though. Great to leave it all out there on the trail. I had my share of tough mental moments that I had to work through to keep going. but so glad I did.
    b

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    nice write up. and thanks for at least ringing your bell to announce you'd latched back on my wheel during the inital climb. The worst sound I heard all day was when a geary would come up on my wheel and downshift. grrrrr.

But then some guy told me that I was "killing it on my SS" at the aid station. at the time I hated hearing that. but now...give that guy a beer.

I had a great time on the 44 with my SS. it kicked my butt though. Great to leave it all out there on the trail. I had my share of tough mental moments that I had to work through to keep going. but so glad I did.
    you did really good going up Waterline - only SS i saw. i felt a little bad drafting you, but not that bad. your own d@mn fault for providing a steady pace.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    you did really good going up Waterline - only SS i saw. i felt a little bad drafting you, but not that bad. your own d@mn fault for providing a steady pace.

the joy and curse of an SS.....get on top of that gear and stay there.

I was glad that I had a good group of you and Doug adn Will to set the early tempo. I started too hot, once I caught up with you guys I figured it out and hoped that I could hold it to the top. Which by some strange reason I was able. I passed quite a few SS'ers on the climb. and a my the end of my loop a few caught me. =( But no one caught me on the AZT climb. that was perfect SS bliss.

but then agian the Dale's Pale Ale that I brought with me had kicked in at that point so I was feeling nothing.
    b

mtbr member
    chollaball-yeah I think I was with you guys at that junction. I was on a niner SS with a blue/black jersey.

Tucson, AZ
    Great pics!

Master Gardener
    Nice shots. Arizona is chock full of these kinds of events and they're taking off all over the country, too. We're just ahead of the curve thanks in large part to the Arizona Endurance Series and other people like Chad and Nate.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Nice shots. Arizona is chock full of these kinds of events and they're taking off all over the country, too. We're just ahead of the curve thanks in large part to the Arizona Endurance Series and other people like Chad and Nate.
    thanks Velo - sorry we did not get a chance to meet. hope your ride was good.

The great thing imo about this race is it is a little...safer for those of us who are reasonably strong but not Chad-Strong I really want to do more of the AES races but 10+ hrs in the wilderness is where I get worried about myself, 6-8 hrs np. The 2 lap format with just a bit of support gives you a safety net.

mtbr member
    Cball- the Kentucky Camp offering of AES would be right up your alley then. One or two 34 mile loops. This December...I'm in.
    Cheers,
    M

Members who have read this thread: 0