Cracked Frame?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cracked Frame?

mtbr member

Cracked Frame?

Not sure where else to post this so I decided to ask the home state. My bike is making a creaking noise. I have eliminated a few items like my seat post and bottom bracket. Really my question is: if I have a cracked frame, would it show through the paint?

Tomorrow I plan on disassembling my entire bike and putting it back piece by piece per torque specs and see if I can find the culprit. I have already given the frame a once over but have seen no visible cracks through the paint.
    Also, this may help.... While trail riding its more prevalent, but if I do anything aggressive that activates my suspension it seems to go away.... any ideas?

I ride an '08 Specialized Pitch

Thanks,
    Jason

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    there are many ways to check for a cracked frame. finger nail tap on each of part of the frame and if you hear a rattling sound then there is a problem. But first i should ask if you have had many shunts lately? if not than your frame should not be cracked. If anything your pivot points might be where your problem lies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZUUL99 View Post
    But first i should ask if you have had many shunts lately?
    I do not understand your use of the word shunt in this sentence. Can you please explain.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by x.Jason View Post
    Not sure where else to post this so I decided to ask the home state. My bike is making a creaking noise. I have eliminated a few items like my seat post and bottom bracket. Really my question is: if I have a cracked frame, would it show through the paint?

Tomorrow I plan on disassembling my entire bike and putting it back piece by piece per torque specs and see if I can find the culprit. I have already given the frame a once over but have seen no visible cracks through the paint.
    Also, this may help.... While trail riding its more prevalent, but if I do anything aggressive that activates my suspension it seems to go away.... any ideas?

I ride an '08 Specialized Pitch

Thanks,
    Jason

You could always Zyglo the frame (Zyglo is NDT = non-destructive testing); it is an fluorescent oil-based penetrant that glows under black light illuminating any non-visible cracks (used in automotive/motorcycles/aviation). I believe that you can purchase a kit at certain auto supply stores (don't know about the black light being included though, but those are available at Ace Hdwr. stores). Just a thought!

mtbr member
    I've seen a few frame cracks in my years, and all of those were obvious and easy to see.

Can you localize the creaking?

Without knowing where the noise is or how loud it is or if it is exacerbated by pedal torque or clamping
    the brakes and rocking the bike, or compressing the suspension, I'll suggest a few places to check:

• loose chainring bolts

• loose rear d hanger bolt/s

• dirt between the casette and freehub

• a shifter cable moving inside of a barrel end

• the stem (sometime dirt/dust gets into places that should be clean, like the clamp or the steerer tube)
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

dirt visionary
    My crack on my sxtrail was hard to see but it was there...It wasn;t until my last ride down icehouse when I started to notice a noise from the bike that didn't belong.After checking things out I found it was near the head tube.. I was able to take my fork/bars/break ect off and still reproduce the noise by using a wooden pole to apply pressure to the headtube area.

If you bought it new take it to a speci dealer
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yes, the crack will show through the paint
    You need a Thneed

mtbr member
    I get an annoying creak from my pedals once in a while. I just have to remove them, grease the thread and put back on. Worth a try and can be an easy fix.

Good luck. Creaks drive me nuts! I just had on in my bottom bracket that I thought was my chain ring bolts. I ended up replacing the plastic BB spacers with aluminum ones and that seemed to make a huge difference.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by x.Jason View Post
    I'm guessing based on this statement that the noise is usually when you are pedaling?

If so, I would say it is something in the pedals/crank/BB or chainring bolts. I would recommend taking apart as much as you can, cleaning, regrease, and put back together. I would pay special attention to the chainring bolts and make sure to apply a little bit of grease to each bolt and on the outside of each chainring bolt sleeve (the part that comes in contact with the chainrings) and then retightening. I've had issues with creaks/squeeks on my bike and it's usually the bolts/sleeves/chainring interaction. I've had issues with bashguards creaking as well, especially the plastic material type.

Also, I know you said it wasn't the seatpost but again based on your statement above is noise only when you are seated? Usually aggressive riding is out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Like was said here , you need to find the creak and see what it really is , ....make sure you lube the rear derailur hanger where it sits into the rear drop out on the rt side ......
    That thing will creak like hell when pedaling.........and like was said the pedal threads and shank will creak realy bad also .

I have broken my bike several times , but I just weld it up better than new so it wont brake there again , I could have gotten a frame under warranty but I need it better than a new one , and I do not want to miss any riding

mtbr member
    I had a creak once in my bike that took some time to track down. I even took apart all the pivot points on the bike trying to figure out where the creak was coming from. It finally turned out to be one of my crank brothers pedals.

Ahhh the pain....
    I just fixed a creak on mine this weekend...turned out that I had taken the fork off and prior to re-assembly, I had cleaned the conical surfaces of the bearings. Creaked every time I pedaled, but only on one side. Got off the bike, turned the bars back and forth, no creak. Put weight on the top tube with one hand and then turned the bars...creaked like crazy, but only turning it one direction! Tried adjusting the headset with more and less tension, but that didn't help. Before pulling the crown race and resetting, I decided to lube the conical surfaces of the bearings and viola!.....no creak.
    Damn sounds travel so well through the frame that it's hard to diagnose based on where the sound is emanating. You have to discard sources one-by-one based on what pattern of movement/forces make the problem occur. (ie, seated vs out of saddle, every pedal stroke or only one side, etc....)