Coyotes...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Coyotes...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Coyotes...

I ride before work and lately that has meant starting just before dawn. It is a cool time to ride for many reasons one in particular is in the desert that is the time to see wildlife.

This morning I rode up on two coyotes and normally they change direction and leave... this time though I am riding straight at them and one looks like it is laying down (inches off trail) and the other is holding its ground. Then I notice the one laying down is enjoying a meal and I am pretty sure they were going to defend it.

So I stop and watch for a minute literally 30 feet away at most and then turn around and head the other way...of course no phone/camera this morning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Someones poor kitty cat was Coyote snacks! lol

Give it a crank
    That's better than when they stare at you like you could be the meal of the day on their menu. Complete with Clif bar, PowerBar, or Gu for desert, and free drink.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Erbbbb View Post
    Someones poor kitty cat was Coyote snacks! lol
    This is the reason I love coyotes. I have seen TWO stray cats since we moved here in June.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    This is the reason I love coyotes. I have seen TWO stray cats since we moved here in June.
    how do you know its a stray, and not an outdoor cat?
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    how do you know its a stray, and not an outdoor cat?
    Outdoor cat = still causes problems. Only good outdoor cat is a dead one or one that stays way the eff away from me.

When we lived in FL we had literally dozens on stray and ferel cats in our neighborhood. They scratched the paint on my brand new Acura TL, crapped in my courtyard, would be super loud at night fighting and mating, and killed ALL the birds and squirrels in the neighborhood.

So I bought a trap and eliminated them one by one. And they for every one I got rid of, another one showed up. I freaking HATE outdoor cats.

Ergo- I love coyotes.

mtbr member
    Love seeing them at dusk/dawn.

Was out at PMP a month or so ago and came down 8 back towards the parking lot, the sun was just going down behind the mountains and we saw 4 of them strolling across the trail not more than 40ft in front of us, and they didn't run away, the just kinda stared and kept slowly moving north. Pretty cool to watch.

mtbr member
    I was at SoMo one evening and was just over a ridge from a turf war between two packs. Very creepy/amazing to have heard. then one of the groups, about 7-8, limped right though the three of us and up the hill on the other side. Really cool.
    b

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Outdoor cat = still causes problems. Only good outdoor cat is a dead one or one that stays way the eff away from me.

When we lived in FL we had literally dozens on stray and ferel cats in our neighborhood. They scratched the paint on my brand new Acura TL, crapped in my courtyard, would be super loud at night fighting and mating, and killed ALL the birds and squirrels in the neighborhood.

So I bought a trap and eliminated them one by one. And they for every one I got rid of, another one showed up. I freaking HATE outdoor cats.

Ergo- I love coyotes.
    Aren't you a freaking charmer.

In my neighborhood you'd be getting a visit from the police.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Jack View Post
    Aren't you a freaking charmer.

In my neighborhood you'd be getting a visit from the police.
    Everything I did was perfectly legal. Trapped them in an Animal Services humane trap and turned them over to Animal Control. These were all feral and stray, but I did catch one with a collar once, which I released of course... Despite Florida's strict leash laws THAT DO APPLY TO CATS.

The ones that went to the shelter were kept alive long enough to be claimed if they were someone's pet.

Don't be so quick to judge.

Oh, and plus rep points for being the big man on the web.

Alive and Lurkin'

The story of the Pot and kettle. You were very quick to judge me were you not?

AZ is not FL. I have lived in FL too BTW. I have two cats both are welcome to go outdoors whenever they want. They keep the scorpion population in the yard low as well as keep roof rats away from the house. I highly value keeping the scorps out, as I do not want my 3 yr old daughter getting stung by one of these critters entering the house. Outdoor cat does not equal ferrel or stray.
    A little back story. I did (at the request of my girlfriend) pick up a ferrel cat in CO from the pound. We lived at 10,800ft at the time and the deer mice where all over the house and yard till "Sweetpea" took residence.

I love cats and dogs! Does this make me bi?
    Pumpin & Pimpin

parenting for gnarness
    Everything I did was perfectly legal. Trapped them in an Animal Services humane trap and turned them over to Animal Control. These were all feral and stray, but I did catch one with a collar once, which I released of course... Despite Florida's strict leash laws THAT DO APPLY TO CATS.

The ones that went to the shelter were kept alive long enough to be claimed if they were someone's pet.

Oh, and plus rep points for being the big man on the web.
    I believe what you did is also legal in AZ, and I certainly know your pain when there are a lot of feral cats around, i probably would have looked to address the situation as well were I in your position. But, I don't think Animal Control is exactly humane, considering the odds are overwhelming that the cat will be killed. i've never had a cat tolerate a collar, and had way too many cats disappear (the last one over the weekend, so I'm a little raw over it right now). All my cats are spayed\neutered. I've always assumed they made their choice with regard to coyotes, cars and their own safety, and I've always taken in cats that are gonna get gassed anyway. Still, it would be very upsetting to think a neighbor wouldnt at least let me know his intentions, so we could find some common ground if my cat was involved...cats rarely go more than a little ways from their home.

perhaps you were just joking in your last post, but you came across kinda harsh.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatbomb
    I gave my neighbors cat a bath the other day .... the cat loved it but the hair stuck to my tongue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    I believe what you did is also legal in AZ, and I certainly know your pain when there are a lot of feral cats around, i probably would have looked to address the situation as well were I in your position. But, I don't think Animal Control is exactly humane, considering the odds are overwhelming that the cat will be killed. i've never had a cat tolerate a collar, and had way too many cats disappear (the last one over the weekend, so I'm a little raw over it right now). All my cats are spayed\neutered. I've always assumed they made their choice with regard to coyotes, cars and their own safety, and I've always taken in cats that are gonna get gassed anyway. Still, it would be very upsetting to think a neighbor wouldnt at least let me know his intentions, so we could find some common ground if my cat was involved...cats rarely go more than a little ways from their home.

perhaps you were just joking in your last post, but you came across kinda harsh.
    Wow, just saw these from the old thread. Sorry to resurrect it...

My did probably come across as more harsh than I intended... I don't think people that like cats are bad, or gay or anything like that. One of my very closest friends who I love like a sister is a self proclaimed "crazy cat lady" and has two cats. My wife even has a cat that she has had since before we were married. I just don't like them outside because they damaged my and my neighbors stuff. And I don't like them inside (my house) because I hate the litter box. If I had a 3 year old daughter and a cat would insure her safety from scorpions and other things, you can bet I would have several though.

On my kitty "extermination", all my neighbors knew what was going on. We had a tightly knit community, and I even had help from some of them. There was ONE lady who insisted on feeding the feral cats. I was general knowledge that these were feral cats. The neighborhood wrote her a note informing her of our intentions, asking her to stop feeding them or we would start trapping them, and she didn't stop feeding them. That's when we started trapping them.

I should also add that Florida has extremely strict leash laws, and cats are on the list. I only knew of one person to own an outdoor cat in Florida (apparently that is different here, which I was mistaken about) and she lived out in the country on a large farm. It was a barn cat.

So the long version of the story clears some things up I hope. I am not a hateful monster, and I was cordial with my neighbors (even the one we had the beef with) and no one got upset. As for Animal Services, Alachua County (where I lived) had the lowest kill rate of any shelter in Florida, and they kept healthy animals for a couple weeks before euthanizing them (I know this because my wife is a veterinarian and also worked at said shelter for her research) or adopting them out. So if someone noticed their kitty was gone, they had ample time to check the shelter (which would be MY first stop if one of my pets went missing) before said cat was either put up for adoption or euthanized.

I love animals, my wife loves animals (including cats). Everyone approved the situation. I do, however, understand with my lack of explanation and the easily mistaken harsh tone of my post why people got upset. And for that, I am sorry.

That said, I do still like coyotes for this service they provide me.

mtbr member
    Coyotes do indeed provide a great service. They are intelligent, quick, and just about the right size. I love it when I get close enough to one to get a shot off. I don't often get the chance since I moved to the Verde Valley (too many like minded folks up here I guess).

The neat thing is that a pair will sometimes let you roll right up on them, like the OP described. And, once I nail the first one, the second one provides a moving target. Way cool.

I used to tag three or four a year up in Washington...all while out riding Since moving down here in the desert though...I rarely get an opportunity. I just hardly ever see any. Go figure....

Meatbomb
    You eat coyote ?

mtbr member
    Naw...coyote meat sucks. Tastes like dog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    Coyotes do indeed provide a great service. They are intelligent, quick, and just about the right size. I love it when I get close enough to one to get a shot off. I don't often get the chance since I moved to the Verde Valley (too many like minded folks up here I guess).

The neat thing is that a pair will sometimes let you roll right up on them, like the OP described. And, once I nail the first one, the second one provides a moving target. Way cool.

I used to tag three or four a year up in Washington...all while out riding Since moving down here in the desert though...I rarely get an opportunity. I just hardly ever see any. Go figure....
    Where the deuce are you in AZ that you rarely see coyotes?!?! I would say I see, or at the very least hear, several every single day!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Mr. Fluffy? Is that where you went?

mtbr member
    Where the deuce are you in AZ that you rarely see coyotes?!?! I would say I see, or at the very least hear, several every single day!
    Verde Valley. I hear em now and then. I just hardly ever see them. I actually saw more of them when I lived near LA than I have here. I think they breed and multiply faster around the larger towns and cities. (More garbage and cats to eat). Scavengers.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I commute to work thru Awhatukee every morning between 5-6am.. See coyotes all the time... they come in to eat the rabbits... Saw 4 pigs this morning just north of Nellos. And they were pretty big.

Jabert

Huffy Rider
    I saw 3 today on the Raptor trail here in the Verde Valley, I see them quite often and have had one even chase me. They come into my fenced/walled backyard and poop, I guess they must like my Doberman.

mtbr member
    Naw...coyote meat sucks. Tastes like dog.
    If you kill it, you eat it. Bad juju to those who don't. May you get what you deserve.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

So you kill them "just because." Awesome......

mtbr member
    My did probably come across as more harsh than I intended... I don't think people that like coyotes are bad, or gay or anything like that. One of my very closest friends who I love like a sister is a self proclaimed "crazy coyote lady" and has two coyotes. My wife even has a coyote that she has had since before we were married. I just don't like them outside because they damaged my and my neighbors stuff. . If I had a 3 year old daughter and a coyote would insure her safety from scorpions and other things, you can bet I would have several though.

On my coyote "extermination", all my neighbors knew what was going on. We had a tightly knit community, and I even had help from some of them. There was ONE lady who insisted on feeding the coyotes. I was general knowledge that these were wild coyotes. The neighborhood wrote her a note informing her of our intentions, asking her to stop feeding them or we would start trapping them, and she didn't stop feeding them. That's when we started shooting them.

So the long version of the story clears some things up I hope. I am not a hateful monster, and I was cordial with my neighbors (even the one we had the beef with) and no one got upset. As for Animal Services, Alachua County (where I lived) had the lowest kill rate of any shelter in Florida, and they kept healthy animals for a couple weeks before euthanizing them (I know this because my wife is a veterinarian and also worked at said shelter for her research) or adopting them out. So if someone noticed their coyote was gone, they had ample time to check the shelter (which would be MY first stop if one of my coyotes went missing) before said coyote was shot outright.

I love animals, my wife loves animals (including coyotes). Everyone approved the situation. I do, however, understand with my lack of explanation and the easily mistaken harsh tone of my post why people got upset. And for that, I am sorry.

mtbr member
    My did probably come across as more harsh than I intended... I don't think people that like coyotes are bad, or gay or anything like that. One of my very closest friends who I love like a sister is a self proclaimed "crazy coyote lady" and has two coyotes. My wife even has a coyote that she has had since before we were married. I just don't like them outside because they damaged my and my neighbors stuff. . If I had a 3 year old daughter and a coyote would insure her safety from scorpions and other things, you can bet I would have several though.

On my coyote "extermination", all my neighbors knew what was going on. We had a tightly knit community, and I even had help from some of them. There was ONE lady who insisted on feeding the coyotes. I was general knowledge that these were wild coyotes. The neighborhood wrote her a note informing her of our intentions, asking her to stop feeding them or we would start trapping them, and she didn't stop feeding them. That's when we started shooting them.

So the long version of the story clears some things up I hope. I am not a hateful monster, and I was cordial with my neighbors (even the one we had the beef with) and no one got upset. As for Animal Services, Alachua County (where I lived) had the lowest kill rate of any shelter in Florida, and they kept healthy animals for a couple weeks before euthanizing them (I know this because my wife is a veterinarian and also worked at said shelter for her research) or adopting them out. So if someone noticed their coyote was gone, they had ample time to check the shelter (which would be MY first stop if one of my coyotes went missing) before said coyote was shot outright.

I love animals, my wife loves animals (including coyotes). Everyone approved the situation. I do, however, understand with my lack of explanation and the easily mistaken harsh tone of my post why people got upset. And for that, I am sorry.

Your retarded and should be made to feel the pain they felt by your hand
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by centurion_ View Post
    naw...coyote meat sucks. Tastes like dog.

ha, ha...classic!

mtbr member
    tsefreeflow, if you would read the entire thread (specifically post #14), before posting your ignorant sh*t here you would see that I was mocking that post and the guy who who wrote it.

Mockery is a form of sarcasm. It is sometimes used to belittle statements, arguments, and people that one finds repugnant. I explain this to you because you probably still don't get it. I have never, in reality, ever shot a coyote, OK?. I was calling attention to the ignorant buffoon who thinks it is cool that coyotes kill and eat cats. Nothing more. Nothing less.....

Have a nice day...........
    ________
    Last edited by Centurion_; 11-18-2011 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    tsefreeflow, if you would read the entire thread (specifically post #14), before posting your ignorant sh*t here you would see that I was mocking that post and the guy who who wrote it.

Mockery is a form of sarcasm. It is sometimes used to belittle statements, arguments, and people that one finds repugnant. I explain this to you because you probably still don't get it. I have never, in reality, ever shot a coyote, OK?. I was calling attention to the ignorant buffoon who thinks it is cool that coyotes kill and eat cats. Nothing more. Nothing less.....

Have a nice day...........
    ________
    You don't lead a very fulfilling life, do you? I gave you some plus rep since it seems like you could use something positive.

I would apologize for being repugnant to you, but I don't give a *****.

And I still think it's cool that coyotes eat cats.

mtbr member
    Thanks bro. You just made my point.

(Fluffy sez thanks too. That's him on my avitar)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks bro. You just made my point.

Which was? That I am an "ignorant buffoon" for realizing that coyotes are bad for doing what they are on this planet for? (which is a predatory species, in case you didn't know).

I am sorry your cat got eaten by a coyote, but maybe now you'll keep them inside? You keep your cats outside, OK. But you can't get pissed at a predatory species for doing what it was designed to do. That's all on you bud for taking the risk of letting them outside.

At least coyotes are native predators. Cats are an invasive predatory species. So by getting rid of the invasive, non-native predators, the coyotes are doing us a favor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Dont really want to take a side but simply because of your logic I have to comment. Then by all means you should set a example and move first or offer yourself up as dinner to some hungry coyotes? Youre also a non-native predator so...Actually a coyotes job if you will is to eat insects, birds, small rodents, and occasionally small game(well babies anyways). I guess cats could fall into the rodents part but if I had to choose Id rather them eat rats and mice as they pose more of a problem than cats. Oh and theyre also omnivores too so kinda further dilutes their "job" but either way I like cats and coyotes(though not the sports team with said name )
    Last edited by gillotte; 11-18-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gillotte View Post
    Dont really want to take a side but simply because of your logic I have to comment. Then by all means you should set a example and move first or offer yourself up as dinner to some hungry coyotes? Youre also a non-native predator so...Actually a coyotes job if you will is to eat insects, birds, small rodents. I guess cats could fall into the rodents part but if I had to choose Id rather them eat rats and mice as they pose more of a problem than cats. Oh and theyre also omnivores too so kinda further dilutes their "job" but either way I like cats and coyotes(though not the sports team with said name )
    But we are higher on the food chain then they are, I'm sure cats are not (dont be mad Centurion_, go hug a cat and make yourself feel better )

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I gave my neighbors cat a bath the other day .... the cat loved it but the hair stuck to my tongue.

Duct tape will cure that problem!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm sitting out in front of South Mt park waiting for Park ranger to open the gate. Three coyotes clearly were just looking for breakfast. I think I ll continue to wait for Ranger INSIDE my car.

mtbr member
    I am sorry your cat got eaten by a coyote...
    Thank You for your concern.
    <-------Fluffy is alive and well.

I did let him out at our place up in Washington once. Our neighbors dog (not a coyote) used to come over and pee and crap in our yard. The flufster used to sit in the window and growl and get really pissed every time he saw him so...one time...I let him out.

He chased that dog all the way back home and under their front porch. It was pretty funny. But my wife was not pleased. That's the last time we let him out.

The cat that got ate was several years ago. After that I built a secure kennel with a roof on it and a cat door into our house. The cats can come and go and they are safe. We keep them in the house at night.

Leethal, I apologize for for my part in the hijacking of your thread. I also enjoy watching wildlife on my early morning rides. And honestly...for the tree huggers and the coyote lovers...I have never shot one. (But I have to admit admit...I do think about it sometimes).
    Last edited by Centurion_; 11-19-2011 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Coyotes are open season all year round with no bag limit in AZ.
    For those that take offense, contact AZ fish and game.
    Hunting (which is controled by the state) is a means of balancing the the system. If you don't understand that, research it.

Having said that, I don't hunt, don't see the allure of it and will never hunt.

I saw a coyote yesterday on desert classic at noon hour... very bust trail, and there he was... maybe 20' away... there was a large flock of pheasants from where he'd just came... beautiful animal.

For the kitty lovers, good for you, and I appriciate you taking them outside... just keep them the heck out of my yard... and I'll keep my animals out of yours.
    Thanks.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    Fluffy appreciates your post and says he will stay the heck out of your yard..

Coyotes are open season all year round with no bag limit in AZ.
    For those that take offense, contact AZ fish and game.
    Hunting (which is controled by the state) is a means of balancing the the system. If you don't understand that, research it.
    Having said that, I don't hunt, don't see the allure of it and will never hunt.
    I saw a coyote yesterday on desert classic at noon hour... very bust trail, and there he was... maybe 20' away... there was a large flock of pheasants from where he'd just came... beautiful animal.
    For the kitty lovers, good for you, and I appriciate you taking them outside... just keep them the heck out of my yard... and I'll keep my animals out of yours.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Centurion_; 11-20-2011 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My neighbor and I shoot stray cats (which meow and fk at all times of night) with a slingshot. It's been about a year now and guess what I never see...yep, stray cats. Until you have a REAL stray cat problem, you just don't understand. Try having a jeep and living in a condo complex...cat ***** and spraying all of the time. It was annoying and the city did nothing or even offer traps. Slingshot justice.

I appreciate the one at a time cat trap technique.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding View Post
    ... Until you have a REAL stray cat problem, you just don't understand. ....
    Thank you. This was the point I was at too.