Cox Cable Caboshes OLN- Mtbr.com
    Ouch, I am hot!

Cox Cable Caboshes OLN

Cox Cable has removed OLN from its program, thus no TDF this year. I guess I will be forced to finally ride my bike at least once this year to get my cycling fix. I plan on getting John Tesh's Tour De France album to pump me up for the ride.
    I AM JUST A JERK

pedaller

Get a dish!

Direct TV: OLN - Channel 608

You can also get live updates of the race on the web!

Tour De France 2004

The real question is who do you want to win? LA? TH? RH? LL? Someone else?
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ya just gotta buy the additional channels.

Yeah, I was a little peeved. They moved it from basic cable to the variety pack, channel 169, which is a package I don't get. I taped "Lance Chronicles" on Thursday night but ended up getting MSNBC. Oh yippie!!

I'm pretty bummed about not seeing TDF. I used to watch it live before leaving for work. Its the only roadie thing I follow.

-kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    remember ABC does a sunday highlights show. since mtb'ing is pretty much absent from OLN, the only thing i watch on it is the Tour. we have satellite tv so i can still watch. when OLN first started with mtb'ing i watched for a couple hours every thursday. now it is all road crap i couldn't care less about, other than T de F. what happened to Fat Traxx and Ride Guide? those were fun shows to watch, and somewhat informative.

Rita

Ouch, I am hot!

Too Much Effort

It would be too much effort and money to get satellite, so I guess I am stuck with at least one ride this year unless I can come over to one of your places (with dish) at 6:00 a.m. for a month. I may want to do that instead of spending all the effort to ride once this year.

As far as my choice for winner, I don't want LA. Some of the past Tours have been boring because they are over way too soon. I don't really want an American to win just because I am one myself. LA dumped his wife to "upgrade" after becoming rich and famous. My choice then would be JU because he is so good looking.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Who cares? We all know who is going to win anyway.

(I'm bummed because I only get 4 channels, and ABC ain't one of them :-)

MTBR Tool

I care...

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Who cares? We all know who is going to win anyway.

I was outraged at the move of OLN to channel 169 and was completely prepared for an all-out war w/the customer rep when I called in to Cox to find out what the hell was going on.

The rep completely defused my bluster when she informed me that it would be $2 a month to subscribe to the "Variety Tier" necessary to get OLN. I decided to pony up for it. The wife was a bit miffed that our cable bill is now $80/month until she realized that BBC America, Lifetime Movie Channel and some other sappy channel were also included. There's also some other tech-weenie channel whose name escapes me included. All in all a win-win situation for us.

Note: I think you have to have digital cable in order to get the Variety Tier.

Ouch, I am hot!

Use These Bunny Ears

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I hear from some folk over 60 that if you use bunny ears you can improve your reception. Wear these when watching TV and you may be able to pick up 15.

I AM JUST A JERK

recovering roadie
    That was the last straw for those b@stards. I feel like that pig in those commercials is rampaging through my house. I'm going to try Directv. They have a built in Tivo that would be the bee's knees for watching the tour. Or anything else for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Cox Cable has removed OLN from its program, thus no TDF this year. I guess I will be forced to finally ride my bike at least once this year to get my cycling fix. I plan on getting John Tesh's Tour De France album to pump me up for the ride.
    Last edited by dobbs; 05-10-2004 at 11:14 AM.

Skinny legged XC geek

That's "kibosh"

According to noted curmudgeon, H.L. Mencken, "kibosh" has been in use as part of the American vernacular for well over a century. Irish poet, Padraic Colum, believes It comes from the Gaelic cie baes, or, cap of death.

BTW, Cox sucks. I've got DirecTV.

pedaller

BTW, Cox sucks. I've got DirecTV

BTW, Cox sucks. I've got DirecTV
    Cox suckers!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Portable curmudgeon

I thought everyone already knew that...

...the cable people are COX.

An unsophisticated jab, but true nonetheless. But why do I care? I haven't had cable since 1992, when it was free in my college dorm room.

On the other hand, having my free trial internet access run out next week will trouble me a bit. Any recommendations for good dial-up ISPs down Tucson way?

TIA
    =Jason=

Drugstore Trailrider

NOW this title of this thread is making a little sense!

Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    According to noted curmudgeon, H.L. Mencken, "kibosh" has been in use as part of the American vernacular for well over a century. Irish poet, Padraic Colum, believes It comes from the Gaelic cie baes, or, cap of death.

PedalAZ, you are da man!

From the beginning I thought he meant cabooses, and wondered WTF that had to do with OLN and Cox Cable. Thanks for clarifying the issue.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

Ouch, I am hot!

Caboose, Kibosh and Cabbage

Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ

Thanks for the info. My research led me to the following: http://www.quinion.com/words/articles/kibosh.htm

Cox does suck, but I can't live without cable modem.
    I AM JUST A JERK

MFC
    mtbr member
    I realized this fact last night too, and let out an impressive 20 minute string of obscenities directed at Cox. I readied myself for battle with their CS dept, supervisor, and manager, but they would not budge on giving me the channel back. I told them I was on to their tactics of waiting until right before the cycling season started, then pulling the channel. But in the end, I too ponied up the money for the extra "digital tier" with OLN. I did work a free month out of them at least. There's no way I was missing the Tour, those greedy *******s.

mtbr member

I feel your pain

I also recently noticed the absence of OLN. Now its MSNBC or something.

My e mail to their customer service chastised them for their bait and switch, but they basically said that I'm out of luck unless I pay the extra $6/mo for the "Variety and Sports Tier".

OK, so now I'll try to parlay this in to a free month.

MTBR Tool

Cox-suckers and other ambiguity

$6 eh? We only had to add an additional $2...

Having said that - between the HBO channels, the recently acquired DVR (Hallelujah! - a recording device my wife can actually use without supervision) and the telephone I think that Cocks are already getting their pound of flesh. The only consolation is that the neighbour's work picks up the cable internet...

recovering roadie
    I stuck to my guns and had DirecTV with Tivo installed yesterday. Pretty sweet.... picture quality better than anything I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir