Count Goat Campula - Saturday 2/7- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Count Goat Campula - Saturday 2/7

FIP 10am
    Start from Mesquite wash, up to GC, and then descend into Gnarnia.
    The weather should be stellar. Better get as many GC rides in before the temp goes up. All are welcome
    DDKS

Kathleen in AZ
    Funny you should post this for 2/7. Depending on the weather you may have several joining you including me, BrianC, his visiting friend Greg, and whomever else we drag along. Maybe we'll even join you in the upper parking lot and suffer the road climb after the gnartopia deluxe. It's looking like the rain won't arrive till later in the day so we may be in luck.

Salty Dog

Dammit....

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Funny you should post this for 2/7. Depending on the weather you may have several joining you including me, BrianC, his visiting friend Greg, and whomever else we drag along. Maybe we'll even join you in the upper parking lot and suffer the road climb after the gnartopia deluxe. It's looking like the rain won't arrive till later in the day so we may be in luck.
    I wish you guys wouldn't do these GC rides on race days.....

I really want to complete the whole circuit, even bought leg armor...

Tommy
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    I wish you guys wouldn't do these GC rides on race days.....

I really want to complete the whole circuit, even bought leg armor...

Tommy
    Sorry... we're not doing it on purpose - most Goat Campers are probably not MBAA racers. I'm sure we'll do GC again before it gets too hot. Good luck in your race!

mtbr member
    I sure would like to tag along. Dunno if I can yet.

mtbr member
    Cool!
    I actually wish it would rain. I bet Goat Camp is awesome in the rain. I know Somo is pretty sweet in the rain. One of the funnest days was when we shuttled Somo and it rained the entire time. The traction was unbeliveable
    DDKS

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboyz
    Cool!
    I actually wish it would rain. I bet Goat Camp is awesome in the rain. I know Somo is pretty sweet in the rain. One of the funnest days was when we shuttled Somo and it rained the entire time. The traction was unbeliveable
    Goat Camp is awesome in the rain We rode it last spring on a day that was threatening and spitting the whole day up the hill. At the top of the drop-in the sky got black and by the time we got to the staircase is was starting to come down pretty good.

It adds a whole new thrill level when you can't see anything and the rocks get greasy

Try the new and improved Mesquite up instead of taking Willow. It's a nice steady climb that's a little bit easier on the legs, and not bad on the eyes too. When you get to the intersection, you can see the last switchback way the f up there

I'd join you, but we're scouting OLA tommorow.

mtbr member
    Wish I could go, but I got alot of work to do on my truck.

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

Salty Dog

You have a valid point..

Sorry... we're not doing it on purpose - most Goat Campers are probably not MBAA racers. I'm sure we'll do GC again before it gets too hot. Good luck in your race!
    I know it's not done on purpose and you have a valid point, I think. I just think the racing makes me a better overall rider since it has forced me, over time, to take risks at speed that I might otherwise not have. Thus improving my confidence in my skills and my bike, as well. Not that I am up for doing some of the descent stuff on GC, mind you!

I hope to join you there again soon!

Have fun and be safe!

T.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    I sure would like to tag along. Dunno if I can yet.

No go for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No go for me dude. I've got a couple of things to do I've been putting off for a while, including messin' with my new fork.

If you're down for a rainy SoMo ride Sunday let me know..

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboyz
    FIP 10am
    Start from Mesquite wash, up to GC, and then descend into Gnarnia.
    The weather should be stellar. Better get as many GC rides in before the temp goes up. All are welcome
    Hey Aaron.. how would you feel about a 9AM FIP tomorrow? Do you have anyone else committed for 10AM? Chongoman and Todd will be starting at 9AM due to afternoon obligations. Brian, Greg and I will be driving out together and can do 9 or 10 but the Goat is always more fun with a group.

K

mtbr member
    10fip for the lustboyz crew, i'm coming from Ptown.
    SHITBIRD

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    10fip for the lustboyz crew, i'm coming from Ptown.
    okeydokey... we'll join you and the lustboyz at 10. Forget about that 9AM crap I was yammering on about!

mtbr member

Goat Tamed

I wish I could have ridden with the crowd today, but Todd and I kept to our afternoon obligations and had a blast. We started just about 9am and rolled up to the truck at 12:30
    We did the Mesquite, Willow, Goat camp route to enjoy the climbing and check out the scenery over there.
    What a great day out there. I was stoaked to clean the staircase and jackhammer for the first time. the clouds and cool breeze felt great too.
    There were lots of hikers out there today, but everyone was happy and chatty on the trail.
    Killer day. I need to get back there a couple more times before the heat is on.
    I only have a couple of camera phone shots. hopefully group 2 has some better shots to share.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kathleen in AZ

Goat Tamed indeed!!!

Sorry we didn't get to ride with Bob and Todd - Bob, I would have loved to see you clean jackhammer for the first time. I assume it was a Stinky day for you?

The 10AM crew was a great bunch, all super supportive of each other and riding really strong. We had a late start but made up for it by blazing Mesquite non-stop to the top of the Goat Camp gnar. Whew! It was dang cold up top so we bundled up, armored up, and dropped in for the treat that is Goat Camp trail. I think we had a couple of flats, a jammed chain or two, a wrenched deraileur, and only one nasty bodily mechanical... Helimech now has a new place to wear some tribal jewelry. Youch! He seemed either ok and not in too much pain, or he hides it well. Heal up!

Here are a few pics from the day. Others are at:
    http://www.durtgurl.com/Site/My_Albu...at_Camp.html#0
    If you want any hi-res versions, view in "play slideshow" mode and you can grab em.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yep feeling OK traded a set of Maxxis tires for 4 stitches, what a deal. Thanks DREVS for the medical work. Good ride all. Later, off to work.
    SHITBIRD

Maui Grown
    Nothing can stop the General, not even a face plant!

DurtGurl - what, no pictures of me?

Good times as always.

Pivoteer
    So did anyone "shoot the gap" on the spiral staircase?
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy

DurtGurl - what, no pictures of me?

Good times as always.
    You were always too far in front of me!

******ed or Branded??
    Thanks for the great guys and thanks for showing me how it's done right on the spiral there DG'. Hopefully next time I can clean it all and not chicken out on the last 4ft.

Man I know I am not the prettiest but dang I look like true doodoo!!! ahahahahha Thanks for the awesome pics DG'.

Can't wait to do it again.

Happy trails
    looks like i missed this one again.i'll catch the next carnage train!
    heal up!
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Pretty sure Aaron nailed the gap. The General made a really fast run thru Spiral Staicase - made it look too easy!

mtbr member
    Man my lip aches. Thanks for the pics DG.
    SHITBIRD

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Ouch - that looks painfull helimech Not like you to go OTB Heal up quick buddy.

Loving all the pics and vids of GC recently. Just hope my hand is mended in time to do it on the Fling - took a big dive last weekend and its gonna be a while before I can hang on to a handlebar
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

banned
    Sep 2005
    Ouch! We'll see you folks in a few weeks. Mike, please stay healthy...

mtbr member
    Thanks Tory & Biker123 for the healing vibes. Got the stitches out today, yay. Hopefully Tory you can make it out for the fling and that hand gets well. Biker123 hopefully work doesn't get in the way when you visit and the snow is gone. later.
    SHITBIRD

Members who have read this thread: 0