Correct Mileage In Tour of the White Mountains- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Correct Mileage In Tour of the White Mountains

I rode the 30'er mile distance on Saturday in the TOWM. I also did it on my rigid one-speed with flat DH/BMX pedals. No one took more of a pounding than me!

I heard varying rumors that the 30 mile distance was actually 35-37 miles, and that would make more sense as I am sure I averaged around 9 miles an hour for the ride.

Anyone have a failry accurate computer or GPS and get a different distance?

Cheers in advance.

Mick Wolf

Tucson, AZ
    37.2 miles

Anyone that enjoyed the 37 mile race should look into training for this free race. The weather is guaranteed to be worse and there is more climbing, although I am not sure as many cars will get stuck.
    Last edited by azepicriderandrunner; 10-06-2008 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I wonder why Epic Rides didn't plug it as a 37 miler. They had a 35 miler for 2007.

Saucy Size
    It's a long-standing tradition to misrepresent the distances of the TWM events, even pre-Sadow. We used to call the long ride the "66" but was anywhere between 70 and 78 depending on the particular year and route.

p.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by mickbwolf
    I wonder why Epic Rides didn't plug it as a 37 miler. They had a 35 miler for 2007.
    Some of the trails were still under construction when they started to advertise the race (is my best guess).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Fair enough on the distance. I enjoyed the longer distance. 30 was a bit short. 40 would have been perfect, so 37 is good.

Hey AZEPICRIDERANDRUNNER. Are you a part of the Arizona Endurance Series. Do you work with that organization.

I own the bike shop in Payson, and our shop is getting into race promotions. We discovered some EPIC singletrack near Payson this summer that hardly anyone knows about. Now we want to put an Epic ride/race on this trail system. I think what we would do would be a lot like the Kentucky Camp Epic, and the distances would be the same. There could possibly be even more climbing on our loop too. In my opinion as a shop owner and rider, ITS THAT GOOD.

In fact I think this trail system is good enough to qualify for IMBA Epic Trail Status, and I am going to talk to IMBA about that soon.

If interested in exploring a possible race on our new Epic singletrack, email me (shop@hikebikeandrun.com).

If anyone wants to come ride our Epic trails, just contact me. I have discovered 100 miles of singletrack this summer (near Payson), that very few riders know about.

It's our opinion that these trails could become the new hot spot for Arizona mountain biking. With a little time and hard work, we could have 200-300 miles in this trail system. I think there is a lot more singletrack up there that we need to find.

Cheers,

Tucson, AZ
    A few friends and I began racing endurance races last year around the southwest. After a few months, we quickly realized that Arizona was lacking endurance races (in the saddle for 8+ hours and tons of climbing), ergo the AES was started. We have a few sponsors for nutrition and beer, so the races are not only free, they tend to have schwag and/or free beer!

I will be adding a 150 mile race up in the Utah/AZ area and possibly a Prescott race in the next few months (for 2009). I would love to add another underground race in the Payson area or help you advertise a race on my website/google group. I will send you a PM about possible dates for a weekend of fun singletrack in the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The 30 mile race was around 35. I did have a GPS on me at the time, unfortunately I managed to take a slightly wrong turn just past the second water point. Please ignore the extremely slow time, no making fun of me!

Here is the link to the activity on Motion Based:

Members who have read this thread: 0