Coronao National Forest Management Plan Advocacy Update! How you can help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Coronao National Forest Management Plan Advocacy Update! How you can help

Advocacy Update and how you can help.
    On Monday night, the US Forest Service conducted a publicmeeting to unveil their National Forest Land Management plan. The meeting wasvery well attended by mountain bikers whom made up the vast majority of theattendees. TORCA was there in force and regale as well as members of other mtb groupssuch as SAMBA, IMBA and SDMB.
    The Coronado NationalForest Management plan is a proposed plan that incorporated all kinds ofchanges or “revisions” to their existing plan that had not been revised since1986. The revisions addressed five priorities 1) Ecosystem restoration 2)Safety and Information 3) Public access 4) Preservation of open space 5)collaborationand partnerships.
    This plan is a very broad plan that has all kinds of changesto it in finer detail. The good news is that none of the changes impact us as auser group in a negative fashion. However, we have some work to do if we wantto see more areas for us to play in. At the moment there are two areas dubbed, “Developed recreation” that can be developed.One area flanks the highway most all the way up Catalina Highway and the otheris in the Reddington Area. If we as a group want more trails to play on we needto let the forest service know.
    Here’s how you canhelp. Send an email to the USFS emailaddress hereà [email protected] (Subject: Coronado National Forest, Plan Revision) and briefly statethat you would like to see “more opportunities for mountain biking in thedeveloped recreation areas on Mount Lemmon. The more specific you can be thebetter. If you are a downhiller, you could state that you would “like to seemore one way downhill mountain biking opportunities in the developed recreationareas to alleviate” congestion and trail conflicts on trails frequented byhikers and mountain bikers. Similarly,if you are an xc mountain biker and want to see an xc loop on mount Lemmon,state that.
    The comment periodwill be open until February 20 so don’t wait to get yourcomments in! Additionally, if you would like to attend the next meeting, itwill be at Udall park rec center on January 22 at 6pm.
    More information onthe plan can be found at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coronado/landmanagement/planning/?cid=fswdev7_018702
    or feel free to give TORCA President ArtAlcantara and TORCA VP Vernie Aikins a call or email.
    Thanks everyone for helping make Tucson a better place toride!
    TORCA
    Art Alcantara 5911514 [email protected]

Vernie Aikins 2482226 [email protected]
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. We make the trip to Tucson from SoCal at some point every year as its one of our favorite destinations. Will definitely send some comments in.

mtbr member
    If the area that “flanks the highway” includes the stretch from Bigelow (Palisades parking) to Bear Wallow, I have always dreamed of a trail through there!

Tell me it’s so!

Art, I’ll gladly try to help to establish that. And thanks so much for your support!

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Patrick,
    That is exactly the type of specificity that needs to be addressed in the comments. So by all means, let them know! Cooment period ends Feb 20th so you still have time. Thanks EP!
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

mtbr member
    BUMP --

The link in Art's post above is dead, but the info can now be found here:

Coronado National Forest - Land & Resources Management

Hey, even if you don't ride Mt Lemmon, we need all the support we can get. Take 5 mins and write a simple email.

Here's some of the guts of my email:

[email protected]

Subject: Coronado National Forest, Plan Revision

Please allow me preface this with a little about myself. I am a scientist working here in the Tucson area with about 5 years to go before retiring. I have been using the trail systems of Mt Lemmon since 1998.

My wife and I visit the top of Mt Lemmon almost every week in the non-winter seasons. We absolutely love having the pine trees and aspens to wander through on our mountain bikes. We often camp up off of Bear Wallow Rd. I would like to see more opportunities for mountain biking in the developed recreation areas on Mount Lemmon.

In specific, I'd like to help to create a trail that connects the Palisades parking area to the Sunset trail area, staying somewhat close to mid-point between the highway and Mt Bigelow Rd and Bear wallow Rd and connecting to the intersection of Bear Wallow and the highway.

I'd also like to help with a trail that ran from the Butterfly Trail Head (across from Sunset) to the Control Rd, passing very close, and possibly through to Loma Linda.

I'd like to help with a trail system that connects the intersection of Crystal Spring and the Control Rd to the top of the Control Rd. There seems to be quite a bit of beautiful, large-growth pine forest in that area and a nice trail through that would be a fantastic alternative to the heavily used dirt road.

In addition, it would be nice to have a bike-friendly trail on the opposite side of the highway from the Incinerator Ridge trail. There's already an old, dead jeep road that runs through that area and a new, well-built trail could cross back and forth, as a well-engineered trail.

I would also like to help in some way to reroute a connection between Green Mountain (well above the General Hitchcock camping area) and the top of the initial climb of the Bug Spring Trail.

There are many other opportunities, such as more trails on and around Ski Run Rd (on both sides) that would be great additions to the area.

Thank you for your time and hopefully we can work together in the near future to try to make Mt Lemmon more of what it potentially holds for the outdoor enthusiasts.

Sincerely,

Patrick McKiernan
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.