Convince to to come ride in Arizona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Convince to to come ride in Arizona

Ok, I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota, and Im a college guy planning on taking an out of state MTB trip out of state. How is riding in AZ during the winter? What are the trails like? Just the general run down Thanks!
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

Coors, the american beer.
    winter is the best time to visit due to lower temps.

whens your spring break? if its mar 12 - 16 or you think you can swing coming down during that time theres an event held every year called the "AZ spring fling".

5 days of riding. 5 different locales across the state. I went in 05 and 06, couldnt make 07, plan to make 08 if nothing comes up.

Im also an out of stater in respect to arizona, i live in Chico california which is about 90 miles north of Sacramento ... so driving to phoenix is about 11 hrs.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    With afternoon highs of 60 to 70 degrees, it can be a bit chilly, but the trails in the valley are lots of fun. Especially considering there aren't many other places to ride in December that aren't covered in snow.

mtbr member
    I am going to Moab with the school cycling club over Spring Break. Since its a group thing side trips wont work real well. I am looking to go over Christmas break since I dont have a whole lot planned then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    With afternoon highs of 60 to 70 degrees, it can be a bit chilly, but the trails in the valley are lots of fun. Especially considering there aren't many other places to ride in December that aren't covered in snow.
    60-70 degrees is chilly???? Thats BALMY I guess you guys dont know what cold is...try -10 being the coldest we had last winter That is not very common though. 20-30 degrees is the norm for winters here with an occasional jump to 40 or so.

Pivotal figure
    Oh man, I've already seen the scarfs and earmuffs being broken out and it's only about 60 deg. in the morning! Most of the trails will be rideable in December with the possible exception of Flagstaff, depends on the snow this year. Sedona is usually rideable year round as well as Prescott and of course Phoenix.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Haha, Im still riding with shorts and tshirt in 60-70s

curious ... when is your spring break? Cause if youre hittin moab the week after the dates i mentioned i wouldnt mind tagging along

mtbr member
    Spring break is Marc 14-25th.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikextremist
    Haha, Im still riding with shorts and tshirt in 60-70s
    I thought it was a "tu tu"?

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Well, I just did some figuring and I think AZ is gonna be too far and cost too much in gas. Maybe in the future. I cant say that putting 2000 some miles on my car with 1500 already on it would be a good idea.

All That is Man
    Arizona's not really worth that much of a trip anyway. If you've never seen desert before it's one thing, but I can't think of any rides good enough to come out here for.
    John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Signal
    Arizona's not really worth that much of a trip anyway. If you've never seen desert before it's one thing, but I can't think of any rides good enough to come out here for.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

dirt visionary

drink coffee, ride.
    scroll through the pic threads looking for Sedona, BCT, Tucson (especially that hate thread), those kind of threads compelled me to ride in Crested Butte -

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=344786

The riding in the low desert is prime right now, yep - 60 degree morning start is cool, but then come visit us in the summer and ride when it's 110!! That's when the real ridin' is!

Sedona:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=351922

Tucson:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=352726

Convinced?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikextremist
    Spring break is Marc 14-25th.
    nice thats when mine is.

im missing 2 days of class to go to the "az spring fling" which is 12 - 16 ... then after that i was thinking of touring nevada, and utah solo so i would love to join you guys in moab if yall wouldnt mind another tagging along.

normally after the spring fling i would just go to lake havasu arizona and chill but you can only do lake havasu so many times before it gets old and the last couple of years ive been there its gotten weaker and weaker cause im never there the week ASU has their spring break (went ASU's week in 2004 and had a blast)

youre trippin .... id come out once a month if i could afford the gas ... i already tried to do the "university student exchange" so i could go to ASU for a semester but their degree program doesnt really overlap ours and since im a senior it would just set me back more, most people do the exchange when they are freshmen or sophmores. Maybe if i get good enough grades ill apply for the masters program there (yes im aware i need a 3.0 for anyone who knows me is reading this and laughing)

Tucson, AZ
    We have some of the best mt and road biking in the southwest. Just got back from the Prescott Monstercross.... sweet trails, especially now that it is fall and the trees are turning. Some of us that live here might not explore enough to understand real single track trails.... Fantasy Island is not really a "trail" IMHO.

Members who have read this thread: 0