Elitest thrill junkie

Congrats to Whiskey riders!

Good showing out there today!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Yeah definately! And great weather up here!

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Excellent weather! lots of riders too! I saw mtbkrcr murdering the climb out of skull valley, way to go! And to everyone that finished-job well done!

mtbr member
    Props to all the people that offered their assistance to me while I was stopped fixing my chain 3 TIMES

Everyone asked if they could help! It was so great to every type of rider reaching out!!

Also great to see everyone shouting out thanks to all the volunteers. Great vibe in Prescott this weekend. Restaurants seemed happy to have us and downtown was rocking.

Powered by ice cream.
    The field going past me at the start of the 25 reminded me of the beginning of Space Balls
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Got a suspension fork
    This was my first Whiskey 25 and first MTB race, it was a lot of fun. I tried running a 20t instead of the 21t that I had been running - I should have stayed at 21t.

Looking at the course in 4 sections, 2 climbs and 2 descents. I did the first climb in exactly the same riding time as when I pre-rode the course. 1st Descent was almost 2 minutes slower - traffic. Next major climb was a whopping 6 minutes slower (I couldn't muster the fortitude to push up that hill in the 20t and walked much more of it.) final descent I saved a couple of minutes.

All in all my ride time was 1.5 minutes slower on the race compared to my pre-ride, however, I only had 1 minute of stopped time on the race so my overall time was 9 minutes faster.

Amazing at how some dudes finish the 25 in 2.5 hours! And the 50 in 3.5 hours, really impressive. I don't think I could ever get in enough training miles to get anywhere near those guys.

Fun weekend, nice to run into several people, well organized event.

ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    It was a great race! Congrats to Mike Melley who's going to SS worlds. The AZ Devo boys rocked it too. Good old Bob LaRoche podiumed in master's men on that old steel bike of his with that weird rigid fork. And my favorite lady in the whole world, Ginger rocked the 25 sub 4 hours and got a top ten in open women. One of my pool customers did the whole 25 with only a rear brake and still managed about 4 hours.

It was good to see some old friends too, I spent some time catching up with Jim Wilcox's better half, Kim at the finish line, saw Dave Herbold at the awards but didn't get a chance to congratulate him on his squealer victory last week though.

Did anyone catch a whiff of that scraggly guy? I think they call him animal. He the 50 on an old bike in a pair of shorts. Or how about the older guy who did the 25 who wore a jersey and instead of bike shorts he was wearing one of those mesh padded underlayers? My wife kept getting stuck behind him! There was another dude racing with a GIANT backpack who was like a rolling aid station. People were telling me he had like 20 lbs worth of food, gear and extras stuffed in there.

I sure hope everyone had a blast
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This was my first race too. The course was challenging and fun, despite the traffic. Once I got past some folks on the final descent I could make some time and did. Everyone seemed very cool at the first pile up and hike-a-bike section. Races like that will make me want to come back for more,..

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was gonna do the 15 proof fun run but could not get the time off at work, does any have any cool action pics.

mtbr member
    Nice job all. Looking forward to the ride reports and pictures.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    Did anyone catch a whiff of that scraggly guy? I think they call him animal. He the 50 on an old bike in a pair of shorts.
    Lol - I passed him on the first climb after the start - and he did smell a bit ripe!

mtbr member
    What a great race...I was a first timer 50 proof and finished without any major damage. It was a good mix of technical single track and grinder fire roads. All the other riders were great, and hats off to the top finishers. I'll do it again and hopefully better my time next year.

Learned a little lesson on Friday before the race. I went to do a ride and get acclimated...chose Groom Creek/Spruce Mtn. It's about 9 miles and 1500' of climbing, with a pretty technical decent in parts. Anyway, I was trying to take it easy and dropped my tire off a telephone pole water bar...way too slowly and went OTB about as hard as I can remember. Broke my helmet and gashed/bruised the hell out of my right shin...had to ice my shin all evening worrying about the race the next day...what an idiot!
    Anyway, I'll never do that again...I will ride some good flat road or trail. Take it EASY the day before a race...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My first also, finished the 25er in 3:57, 51st in my age group. Great time gonna go back every year. I was behind the guy in the mesh and you're wife made fun of him and made me notice, it was just the reason I needed to pass him, it was right about when we hit dirt. Great people....great event...

mtbr member
    first-timer and raced 50 proof. Awesome mix of trails, jeep roads, forest roads, mental climbing (and fitness) test up skull valley rd, great vibe and weather, pro races were excellent! Thanks to all the fine people in Prescott and beyond that made this happen.
    Congrats Prescott mountainbiking community and Epic Rides. Much SUCCESS!

Jayem, thanks for the nod on the white spar camp site! Just what we wanted.

mtbr member
    A bit crowded, but still a great race and perfect weather. Unlike some, I didn't get caught in too much traffic and managed to crack 3 hours in the 25. I'd probably have gone a bit faster if I didn't overcook it on the last big climb. Live and learn.

Props to everyone who rode, volunteered, or organized. Now let's get out there and repair the trails that got trashed!

mtbr member
    Ya fun times. Took a swig of that whiskey with a beer chaser on top of Prieta overlook. Hmmm, not sure that was a good idea. The smell of burning brakes was abundant, get off those brakes guys . Thank you all for making Preskitt a packed place this weekend.
    SHITBIRD

Scott in Tucson
    You'd think I'd know how to read a map by now, especially considering that I made the Whiskey Maps, but Skull Valley caught me totally off guard. I had gas to get back to the split, but after that it was pure unadulterated suffering.

Gotta love it when a race breaks you. I limped in for 3:43 in the 50. Some good riding on the loop, for sure, though knowing what I do from the AES Prescott course there's really no comparison. Still, I loved the challenge and mental aspect of the 50 and Skull climb especially. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Great race mtbkracr, you rode strong. Those SSers were sure gunning hard for it. I was stoked to see Dejay and Beto killing it.

I'm glad I finally was able to get my Whiskey fill. I can see why it's so popular and am stoked I was able to join in the fun this year. Great job Epicrides, Prescott and everyone involved...
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Congrats to everyone!

I didn't get to race but I did get to volunteer. Me and my family worked at the aid station with the snacks on Saturday. My kids got involved too. They are only 6 and 8 but they were getting compliments all day. We had so much fun!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Ya fun times. Took a swig of that whiskey with a beer chaser on top of Prieta overlook. Hmmm, not sure that was a good idea. The smell of burning brakes was abundant, get off those brakes guys . Thank you all for making Preskitt a packed place this weekend.
    Awesome! I wanna do this next year!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakaBrah808
    Congrats to everyone!

I didn't get to race but I did get to volunteer. Me and my family worked at the aid station with the snacks on Saturday. My kids got involved too. They are only 6 and 8 but they were getting compliments all day. We had so much fun!
    Thanks for filling up bottles for us! Someone (might have been you) took my bottle out of my hand filled in 30 secs and handed back so I could painfully grind on!! Great that we didnt have to waste any time (not that it mattered for me at that point ) getting off the bike to fill up.

Glad your kids had fun!

Master Gardener
    Awesome weekend- Todd has gotten the event dialed with some very strong support from the City of Prescott. (Who'da thunk it, 5 years ago?) But the best part about the weekend was the good vibes downtown and on the race course... and that's a testament to all the good folks who tied numbers to their bikes and had a go at it.

Cholla Magnent
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr

Did anyone catch a whiff of that scraggly guy?

I sure hope everyone had a blast
    Do you mean this guy? 38 deg at the start and he just has some red trunks on, no camelback doing the 50 on SS.

Cholla Magnet

Master Gardener
    That's him. He's a solid guy. Thomas. aka TA aka Pig. Prescott loves that guy.

Cholla Magnent
    This was my first Whiskey and MTB race. I did the geared 25. Finished in 5 hours and 13 minutes. I probably could have gotten in under 4 hours 30 minutes but lost alot of time in the beggining at and after the first pile up at the river crossing. I was walking up the climb, like everyone else, but I thought I would be nice and pull over to see if anyone wanted to ride. BIG mistake. It took me a good 5 minutes to get back in line waiting for people to go by. I did this 2 or 3 times before I learned my lesson.

I also had to sit for about 15 minutes after the first descent down to the fireroad. I did plenty of training rides but I kept cramping in my right thigh. Only thing I think it was all the walking since I have never had an issue before durning my training.

Well earned view:

Evern more well earned beer!:
    Cholla Magnet

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This was my first Whiskey 50 and I have to say that I begrudgingly paid the entry fee, but it was well worth it! The music, the vibe, the marked course (I didn't take any scenic detours this time) were worth it.

Considering that I haven't done a big ride since January I was happy with my time at 5 hours 57 minutes, but that only put me 19th out of 28. Sooooo many strong riders out there!! I did some passing on the downs, but got my butt handed to me on the climb out of Skull Valley. I have never experienced a beat down quite like that.

The singletrack was awesome! Some fun chunky downs and lots of pumpable flowy stuff towards the end of the course. Good stuff!

I'll probably be back next year!

Oh, and a big THANK YOU to Rob & Rob for saving us a camping space! It was a great weekend!

aka Diesel
    The hills had me wishing I'd put on a 21, the downhills (esp at the end) made me wish I'd stuck with a 19. Either way, as always, just happy to SURVIVE that course. It just never gets any easier, and until that day comes, the 50 can get stuffed! I'm sticking with the 25.
    Speaking of, I shaved 25 min off my last race time, so obviously the new bike (and, err, lack of Modelo oilcans on the trail) made a difference.
    Best part of the race was the camaraderie on the trail, the cheers at the end, and getting to see the pros in action! All I can say, is the WOOT the women pros, who were given a start time of 10 min behind the male pros, and yet managed to not only catch-up, but crush the majority of male riders. Yessss! (But best of all, riding most of the course with my shweetay, Walt- way to make a post-injury come-back, babe!)
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Truly an awesome race and many thanks to everyone who participated in this fabulous event as well as the organizer and locals.

Having slept “in the van down by the river” the night before and not to mentioned I woke up a frozen popsicle I decided to go for a pre-ride course early morning. I’ve done the course few weeks back but sadly we got so lost on the last downhill we ended up taking the fire road all the way to town completely missing what turns out to be the most epic ride (at least in my books) I’ve been in a long time. The last downhill going through the forest was truly amazing and most likely what ended up being an extra spirit motivation during the race.
    Race day I starting somewhere in the back, I struggle to stay calm. By the time I hit the single track I could see the front pack and wondered if I f^#ed up or not. First climb was pretty uneventful. Head down and watching someone else’s back tire thinking “is it well inflated?, what kind? Tubless?, what Todd said about passing!!.. the hell with him. I use my elbows if I have to . Soon the reward came. Don’t consider myself a good downhiller but this time didn’t hold anything back. Not to mention I can honestly can say that the bike saved my ass a few times. Hit a few bushes so hard that thoughts came through my head instantly like (you know when you are about to die) of inventing a new sport: biking and flying with style, or maybe, “dash face planting”. Either way I was happy to see myself at the bottom in one piece. And up again, my favorite section. In the distance I’ve start hearing drums. That can be it. I remember this climb being much longer. Sure enough the guy was about 2 or 3 miles down from the station. Great, give us false hope. I figure might as well have fun. I asked him if he takes requests. I was going to ask some Van Halen but by then we could only exchange a smile and I continued up the road. Started to feel the burn in my legs now for the first time. I recall Todd saying that the stations would carry pickles. I figure I would do a quick stop to get some pickle juice and maybe ask for ice-cream (yep,.. I saved a bundle by switching to progressive. I love Flow, what can I say). And up again and first time trying pickle juice and wonder again if I f%#$ud up or this will do me any good as massage to a wooden leg. Still feeling pretty good and start passing rider and looking at the numbers to see if they are on the 50 or 25 group to give them my appreciation. Most were blue and not that I really wanted to give word of encouragement because I knew what they were thinking (you sissies, we don’t need your stinking pity, you 25er!!). But truly congrats to all of you 50s. Finally the summit. Aaa… familiar face (Joe from Sunday Cycle) I could see his face of hesitation (you, here, now?).. Did I miss something? Really riders would drink whisky? That shows you how much I know.
    I am very close. Free sailing from now on. On the flat top section I started to cramp up. Which God should I ask for help now I thought? Knowing what I am about to go through I quickly became invigorated. I started the decent. I knew that there are a few people in front and hoped no one will stay in my way caus I was going to fly. For the past several miles earlier I plaid musical chair with a single speed guy and I thought it is payback time. Nothing like going really, really, really fast thought the forest. Two things (make that 3 things) I enjoy the most: snowboarding thought the forest and biking thorough the forest. This section went really fast. I must have passed 3-4 riders and truly enjoyed this section of the course. I forgot about pain and legs cramp all together. The rest of the course was a blur. Either the pickle juice kicked in or my ass was on fire. I paddle hard the rest of the course. The last turn to final I thought I was going to crash probably doing 30-35. If someone has a picture I would pay to have it.
    Finished in the top 30 and you better believe I will be back to take on the 50 next year.
    This is my storey and I am sticking to it…and once again, congrats to all 50s. you rock.
    Last edited by ssphoenix; 05-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Need more cowbell
    Had a great time...It was nice to meet and talk to many of you while waiting at the first switchback....my Garmin says that we sat there for about 10 min.

You couldn't beat the weather and great vibe the city gave to the racers. I talked to a lot of people that were just walking around taking in the event who had nothing to do with the race, but wanted to see what all of the fun was about.

Also want to say thanks to Joe and Blake from Sunday Cycles. They were up there at the outlook handing beers to racers who were a little thirsty coming up copper basin road. They drained the keg by the end of the day

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Anyone know when/where event photogs pictures will show up?

Need more cowbell
    marathon foto

They won't be up for a couple of days.

mtbr member
    Favorite quote of the event "Dude that was a total bonehead Roadie move!" Who said it?...Oh yeah i said that!

Sexy Mother Fakir
    Yes it was a blast, weather was perfect and everyone was having a good time. No wrecks or mechanicals for me either. Hauling ass down Trail 260 was the highlight of the day for me. Quad cramps after the first aid station was the low point.

At the first hike-a-bike section, a few people cut up the hill instead of waiting in line. After we got moving again, the same folks who didn't feel like waiting were on the trailside with mechanicals. I'm a true believer in trail karma now.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Vindaloo
    I'm a true believer in trail karma now.

Trail Karma is a beotch, and she carries a big stick.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Electric -- I recall hearing boo's as those guys were cutting up the first hike section. That pretty much told me everyone was super-cool riding this. At least that's what I recall,..

Let'er Buck
    Yes it was a blast, weather was perfect and everyone was having a good time. No wrecks or mechanicals for me either. Hauling ass down Trail 260 was the highlight of the day for me. Quad cramps after the first aid station was the low point.

At the first hike-a-bike section, a few people cut up the hill instead of waiting in line. After we got moving again, the same folks who didn't feel like waiting were on the trailside with mechanicals. I'm a true believer in trail karma now.

I saw the same thing and karma proving its self is always good, right before that I acctually gave my quick link to some one in need in hopes of some good trail karma going my way, no wrecks and a solid finish so I think it came thru
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Speaking of trail karma, I know there were a few who took some time to help out an injured rider. It is good to know there are a lot of good guys and gals on the trail.

My wife was one of the first ones on the scene and went for help while some others stayed behind. I had already finished so when I saw the ambulance and search and rescue headed up the pavement, it made me worry about whoever had wrecked. Does anybody know if everything was okay? We never heard any updates and have been hoping that it didn't turn out to be anything serious.

Sexy Mother Fakir
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    Trail Karma is a beotch, and she carries a big stick.
    Those guys/girls got a little poke with that stick on Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by 29erBob
    Electric -- I recall hearing boo's as those guys were cutting up the first hike section. That pretty much told me everyone was super-cool riding this. At least that's what I recall,..
    Hehe, they were getting heckled and boo'ed as they hiked up the hill, I think it was all in good fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by kdimon
    I saw the same thing and karma proving its self is always good, right before that I acctually gave my quick link to some one in need in hopes of some good trail karma going my way, no wrecks and a solid finish so I think it came thru
    When we were rolling again, I had a brief conversation with a guy behind me about carrying extra 8sp and 9sp quicklinks and karma, were you the guy?

SHU
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to all who came out and volunteered, raced, watched, or all of the above. The City of Prescott, Prescott Mountain Bike Alliance, Prescott local riders, and of course Epic Rides work hard before and after the event to make sure everyone has a good time. It was great to see all of the bikes in town, and the vibe on the trail in both the 15 and the 25/50 was very posative. Hope to see you all back in town in the future. If you're free in October check out the Wonderschlautt for more great prescott riding. Prescottmtb.com for more info. Thanks again for a great weekend, Shu

PNF Ax Man.
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickTX
    Now let's get out there and repair the trails that got trashed!
    I was out there today on most of the 25. It's all good. Just the typical braking bumps in a few places which mother nature will smooth out.

My observation: Trails aren't trashed. I look at it this way (as a local), the whiskey folks get a lot of the trails "broken in" for us locals at the beginning of each season.

Glad everybody had a great ride in Prescott.

On a side note, I found an interesting number plate while I was out there. Number 620 from last year's (2010) Show Low Bluff Tour of the White Mountains. Could be somebody slapped on a bogus number and ran the race. . or not.

Dash
    Clearer-er of Prescott trails. Downhill downfall in your way? PM me. Have ax, will travel.

aka Diesel

Hehe, they were getting heckled and boo'ed as they hiked up the hill, I think it was all in good fun though.

Yeah I was there for that, and although I was already past the point where they could cut in front of me, I wondered if they turned around once the crowd called them out, or if they continued to cut the line? The woman behind me mentioned that they were young and probably didn't realize what bad form that was.

My other ride is your mom
    Hold the phone.....there is a line in a race, and it's bad form to cut......what if you're faster on the HAB than the schlub in front......????

I'm so confused....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Then you should have been fast enough to get ahead of the pack of intermediate riders over the last 7 miles on pavement. Cutting at that point is really lame. Im glad i was out there to just have fun. Part of me wanted the lesser skilled riders to pull off and wait while the better ones go through, but i have a hard time complaining about it when im just out there for fun and i didn't ride my race bike all crazy at the beginning to get ahead of the pack. If its that important to you then train to get faster. I made a point of making exaggerated noises while riding over all of the 393 and 48 "obstacles" to help motivate people.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

I'm not arguing....I would have fallen in line like a dumb, driven head of cattle since I'm on the whole, "I'm just along for the ride, vibe"....but I'm confused.....if this is a race....why is it bad form to try to get ahead of another.....especially when that involves hiking your bike?????

If I'm in a race...and HAB is part of it, I'm going to give way to someone HAB'ing faster than I.....just as I will give way to someone riding faster than I.....why is this bad form?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I'm not arguing....I would have fallen in line like a dumb, driven head of cattle since I'm on the whole, "I'm just along for the ride, vibe"....but I'm confused.....if this is a race....why is it bad form to try to get ahead of another.....especially when that involves hiking your bike?????

If I'm in a race...and HAB is part of it, I'm going to give way to someone HAB'ing faster than I.....just as I will give way to someone riding faster than I.....why is this bad form?
    There is no hike-a-bike on 393. Im not the best person to ask because i dont understand racing. It bottlenecks from doubletrack to singletrack at the start of the climb. If you havent gotten pole position yet there is no need to screw up our trails, you are not going to win. I think there are some people that are not completely honest with themselves that they are out there for fun. I hope the trash gets picked up, but i wouldn't say any trails are damaged to the point where they need maint or they are significantly different than before the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    There is no hike-a-bike on 393. Im not the best person to ask because i dont understand racing. It bottlenecks from doubletrack to singletrack at the start of the climb. If you havent gotten pole position yet there is no need to screw up our trails, you are not going to win. I think there are some people that are not completely honest with themselves that they are out there for fun. I hope the trash gets picked up, but i wouldn't say any trails are damaged to the point where they need maint or they are significantly different than before the race.

I get it now...thanks for the clarification....no issue here....move along.....

Post Script: The monsoons are the ultimate architects...all will be fine, soon enough.

mtbr member
    Had a great time out there on Saturday and had a hell of a ride on Whiskey row that night as well.

On the trail I came across a guy on a borrowed 40lb Haro, riding for the first time. He wrecked his bike, his friend, and another female rider on the downhill after cramp hill. All 3 were complaining of great pain. Anybody know what happened to these 3 riders?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Also had a great time at my first Whiskey. Did the 25 and missed the 3 hour mark by 6 minutes. I gave it my all though. Once I got out from behind some other riders on the singletrack I pinned it with as much energy I could muster all the way back into town. I could barely get off the bike at the finish. Good times. Big thanks to Todd, Cat, and the rest of the Epic crew, as well as every single person in Prescott this weekend. The race was incredible, but the awesome vibe in town was truly memorable.

I was thinking today that maybe I didn't suffer enough, because I already want to do it again... 50 next year?
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Hold the phone.....there is a line in a race, and it's bad form to cut......what if you're faster on the HAB than the schlub in front......????

I'm so confused....
    The only reason there was a line, and a significant one at that, is because it goes from double to singletrack and a back-up occurred, just as it does every year. A couple of people felt too entitled to wait like the rest of us, so they decided to carry their bikes off-trail and up a hill. Same thing happened AT the bottleneck, in that a few people tried to cut the line to get on the singletrack, and as it happened, people, and I quote myself here, told them in a most NON-good natured tone, to get the **** back in line. I got my Gandalf on, fo' sho'. And just for clarification, I ride for fun as well, so this is simply about disliking when people show disregard for others.

(Edit: Just saw Jayem addressed this, below. So yes- no issue. Unless you try to pass me when there's a bottleneck. ;-))
    Last edited by CoyoteKis; 05-03-2011 at 07:16 AM.

Let'er Buck
    When we were rolling again, I had a brief conversation with a guy behind me about carrying extra 8sp and 9sp quicklinks and karma, were you the guy?

Yeah that sounds like me, small world,
    Last edited by kdimon; 05-03-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

Master Gardener
    I felt bad for the course-cutters for being heckled like that. Cutting the course would be an easy mistake for someone new to racing. As a husband who often has his wife disrespected on the MBAA race courses by a bunch of freds, I can tell you that bad racing etiquette is alive and well. It wasn't just 3 people at the Whiskey.

I got myself caught up in the bottleneck last weekend. That's mtn bike racing. You gotta work for your place going into the singletrack. Once you're caught up behind three dozen other riders who are too gassed to ride over the smallest of rocks, you've kinda made your own bed.

On the other hand, it would be really nice if all those riders would remain a bit cognizant of the riders behind them and if someone has been behind you for five minutes whistling the theme song to Lassie or talking to their grandmother on their cell phone, you might want to move over and let them pass when it's safe.

Probably the friendliest Whiskey I've ever been a part of. The vibe this year was outrageously positive.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I sang Rolling Stones songs during the last few dirt miles. People got out of my way.

Master Gardener
    You sounded so great I thought it was Mick Jagger behind me, so I had to let you by to have a look!

There was a guy behind me on 260 telling me I was being too nice, so he started yelling at people "This guy's on a rigid singlespeed and he's blowing yer doors off, so get outta his way." It's hard to justify barking at people when you're racing for 20th place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danomack
    Had a great time out there on Saturday and had a hell of a ride on Whiskey row that night as well.

On the trail I came across a guy on a borrowed 40lb Haro, riding for the first time. He wrecked his bike, his friend, and another female rider on the downhill after cramp hill. All 3 were complaining of great pain. Anybody know what happened to these 3 riders?

The female rider is my dear friend and team mate. Her bike got thrashed and she took a digger to the face as she went OTB. The other guy broke his collar bone from what I hear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The race was awesome, it was my second year doing the 50 and I beat my old time by like a half hour with a 4:35. I loved all the free schwag too

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    You sounded so great I thought it was Mick Jagger behind me, so I had to let you by to have a look!

There was a guy behind me on 260 telling me I was being too nice, so he started yelling at people "This guy's on a rigid singlespeed and he's blowing yer doors off, so get outta his way." It's hard to justify barking at people when you're racing for 20th place.
    "When I'm riding on my bike,
    and some man comes on and tells me,
    how light my bike should be,
    but he cant be a man cuz he doesn't ride,
    the same mtn bike as me,
    i cant get no,
    ah no no no..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm working on my detailed account of the Whiskey and will post it here soon when I get it finished.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had a great time doing the 50. People were awsome before during and after the race. The whole vibe was really cool and fun. My time wasn't the fastest but I FINISHED.

A plethora of pinatas
    Better late than never... the AZ Devo riders posted their race recaps - http://www.azdevocycling.com/blog/20...ff-road-recap/
    Marty

Members who have read this thread: 0