Occidental Tourist

Confessions of a UST defloration

Took the maiden voyage last night. Not sure I could feel a difference but I didn't get a flat and those Panaracer Fires hook-up like MAD and they're only 2.1s. Do they stay this nice very long? Ran pressure lower than normal and never thumped a rim, good stuff so far. We'll see how it goes in the long run......
    Oh yea, Geoff, a sure cure for the dooldrums is to buy something new for the bike.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member

i just made the switch too

about 2 months ago. Am running Stans strips in normal rims but with UST specific tires. Works perfect, I could not be happier. I do have 1 set of tubeless rim/wheels, they do not seem to work any better than the stan's setup, maybe they hold air a little longer before needing to be topped off, but that is all.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by .downhillfaster.
    But, when I finally bit the bullet and went UST tires with UST wheels, I'll never go back. The ride quality is excellent, and that little bit of less air pressure really makes a difference IMO.
    I agree (tho it's only been one ride) I ran nekked tubes ever since I started riding, no goop, no ghetto ust. Ditbag tried to convince me that there is nothing like UST rims and tires and think he is right......nothing like nice new tires to boost confidence and tech skills
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeduke
    about 2 months ago. Am running Stans strips in normal rims but with UST specific tires. Works perfect, I could not be happier. I do have 1 set of tubeless rim/wheels, they do not seem to work any better than the stan's setup, maybe they hold air a little longer before needing to be topped off, but that is all.
    Actually, you didn't make the switch. What Eric and Yuri are talking about is actual UST tires on actual UST rims. This debate can be carried on endlessly with about 50 possible variations, and obviously folks feel they have success with many different setups, but in my opinion the true UST rim/UST tire combo referred to here is the best combination there is, and I have tried them all.

Yuri, I have found the Panaracers you referred to to be excellent, as are the Geax Sturdy 2.25 UST for the rear, and Conti Vert Pro 2.3 UST for the front. I was just at the NORBA National in Utah this weekend and picked up two of the Kenda Blue Groove 2.1 UST to try as a rear tire, and will let you know what I think after giving them a good try.

My guess is you will not go back to any other system.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

EDR

agree...

I love my Crossmax Enduro ust set up. Have only had one flat in the past year and that was due to the presta valve leaking. I do run slime or other latex in them. They roll great and like running at low psi.

- where in Phoenix can I find the Conti Vert tires? I have heard good things.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn

My guess is you will not go back to any other system.

John W.
    I'm afraid you may end up being right.....
    Let me know how those Kendas work out...I'm hopin the performance of the USTs allows me to go back to skinnier tires like 2.1s
    Can't wait to get back to SoMo with these things..

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I love my Crossmax Enduro ust set up. Have only had one flat in the past year and that was due to the presta valve leaking. I do run slime or other latex in them. They roll great and like running at low psi.

- where in Phoenix can I find the Conti Vert tires? I have heard good things.
    Personally I get the Conti Vert Pros and the Geax Sturdys by ordering online from CambriaBikes.com.

Both are fairly costly tires, and the Geax tires wear pretty fast, but the Continental Verts last forever in comparison to most bike tires I have tried, so in the end I think they are a pretty decent value.

I agree with Eric that the Kenda Blue Groove tires in the wide DH version/ StickE tread are a great tire, which is why I am so eager to see how their new UST version of the BG works for XC and trail riding. I have not seen any shop, or even online retailer carrying the Kenda UST tires, but perhaps others have.

John W.

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    I'm afraid you may end up being right.....
    Let me know how those Kendas work out...I'm hopin the performance of the USTs allows me to go back to skinnier tires like 2.1s
    Can't wait to get back to SoMo with these things..
    As was discussed in another recent AZ forum thread, I am partial to wide tires on the front, and wish the Kenda BG UST had been a 2.35 tire, but I am willing to try a little narrow 2.1 as a rear tire to see how it works. They also make the Nevegal and Karisma in UST version, but I don't have any experience with those in the non-UST version, so I was not yet willing to try them out.

Good to hear you aren't stagnating Yuri!

John W.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Toss some Stans (or homemade Stans) or Slime in there for some added sealing power and puncture protection. Its amazing how well Stans will seal up some pretty large holes.

I agree (tho it's only been one ride) I ran nekked tubes ever since I started riding, no goop, no ghetto ust. Ditbag tried to convince me that there is nothing like UST rims and tires and think he is right......nothing like nice new tires to boost confidence and tech skills
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    Toss some Stans (or homemade Stans) or Slime in there for some added sealing power and puncture protection. Its amazing how well Stans will seal up some pretty large holes.
    I'm running Flat Attack - supposed to last longer w/o a refresh

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I like running tubeless... however the 29ers don't take too well to it, due to, IMO, tire manufacturing variances. I'm also having bad luck sealing IRC Trailbears to UST rims. The sealant just bleeds out of the sides like mad.

Oh well, like all the non UST stuff, success is sometimes a roll of the dice... too many variables out there.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Drugstore Trailrider
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    I do this too, using Stan's, Flat Attack, Slime (for tubeless) or a homebrew. Interestingly, when I picked up the Kenda BG UST tires at Deer Valley they told me NOT to use Stan's, that they would not warranty any problems I might have with their tires if I used it.

They specifically mentioned a similar product that Hutchinson makes that was okay with their tires, and said they had not had time to test others, like Flat Attack. But they were very direct about saying not to use Stan's.

John W.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've read somewhere that supposedly there is something in the Stans sealant that causes Kenda tires to deteriorate.

Here is the warranty disclaimer...
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.cfm

I do this too, using Stan's, Flat Attack, Slime (for tubeless) or a homebrew. Interestingly, when I picked up the Kenda BG UST tires at Deer Valley they told me NOT to use Stan's, that they would not warranty any problems I might have with their tires if I used it.

They specifically mentioned a similar product that Hutchinson makes that was okay with their tires, and said they had not had time to test others, like Flat Attack. But they were very direct about saying not to use Stan's.

John W.

recovering roadie
    I've been using Kenda Kinetics 2.2 USTs for over a year now with one scoop of Stan's for puncture protection and have had very good luck. Though, I think the rear tire could have taller knobs - probably something the Blue Grooves will improve on...

Rage Cycles at Scottsdale Rd. just south of Thomas always seems to have the Kinetics USTs in stock.

Personally I get the Conti Vert Pros and the Geax Sturdys by ordering online from CambriaBikes.com.

Both are fairly costly tires, and the Geax tires wear pretty fast, but the Continental Verts last forever in comparison to most bike tires I have tried, so in the end I think they are a pretty decent value.

I agree with Eric that the Kenda Blue Groove tires in the wide DH version/ StickE tread are a great tire, which is why I am so eager to see how their new UST version of the BG works for XC and trail riding. I have not seen any shop, or even online retailer carrying the Kenda UST tires, but perhaps others have.

John W.

6'4"-6'9" with the afro

... and if we just ... Stans alternative

I've been running home-brew lately with mixed success. My last mishap was just below the Towers where I found a nice glob of congealed latex in my tire (didn't seal). I've found that Stans dries up unbelievably fast so I'm trying my own stuff partly due to cost, partly due to performance. Who makes Flat Attack? Why does it last longer? Where do you get it? What's the cost? What's the average airspeed velocity of a swallow?

BTW -- totally agree, UST rims and tires are the only way to go. Ghetto is simply too problematic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch F. Fletch
    What's the average airspeed velocity of a swallow?

Thats simple, as long as its an unladen swallow! 24mph!

http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/

Ouch, I am hot!
    I have heard that the Blue Groove is a totally awesome tire, awesome. However, because it only comes in 2.1 for UST I have never tried one. I like bigger tires. I am full UST and have had good results with the following:

Geax Sturdy - great all around trail tire
    Geax Loco Lobo - really nice and a bit faster rolling than the Sturdy
    Specialized Enduro Pro 2Bliss - used the 2.4, which is big
    Cont. Vert. Pro 2.3 - I really like this tire, but I disagree with PapaJohn's assessment about its durability. I have had just a bit too many sidewall failures
    Cont. Gravity Pro - so far, so good
    I AM JUST A JERK

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch F. Fletch
    I've been running home-brew lately with mixed success. My last mishap was just below the Towers where I found a nice glob of congealed latex in my tire (didn't seal). I've found that Stans dries up unbelievably fast so I'm trying my own stuff partly due to cost, partly due to performance. Who makes Flat Attack? Why does it last longer? Where do you get it? What's the cost? What's the average airspeed velocity of a swallow?

BTW -- totally agree, UST rims and tires are the only way to go. Ghetto is simply too problematic.
    I think Cactus Bikes carries flat attack - www.flatattack.com

Saucy Size
    I use a mix of Specialized Enduro Pro 2.4 on the front and Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 in the back on both my UST bikes. The Specialized runs wide for 2.4 and the Conti runs narrow for 2.3. I like the combo quite a bit, although the Specialized is awfully heavy.

Flat Attack + liquid latex Moldbuilder + a little windshield wiper fluid = excellent UST spooge. It's closed some nasty holes, although nothing will stop a sidewall cut. The Achilles' Heel of UST IMO.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member

flat attack

When I first tried flat attack, it didn't work well. Now I cut it in half with water, so it flows in the tire better. Works great, no extra crap to add. My rear tire has about 15 holes plugged by this stuff. I've also tried the ust tire plugs for larger punctures, and they work great as well. Superho has the plugs for a couple of bucks.
    Cactus bike sells flat attack.

EDR

Good job! Latex?

I see we have taken this thread a little sideways, no biggie but it's turned into a informative one so I am going to start a new thread regarding latex/slime/etc, homebrew etc. and where to get it in Arizona. Hope you all will join, I am looking for liquid latex in Phoenix but can't find it.

I will post in the AZ forum so it doesn' t get to broad. I don't want to go to Canada to find liquid latex. lol

Can be found at:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...043#post999043

mr. wonderful

kinda long opinion

i have been running tubeless for a couple of years. having run the gamut on rim, tire, and sealant combinations, following is my advice based on a lot of mis-steps:

go with a ust rim. i like the mavic x3.1/819 because it doesn't need any type of strip. they are clean, simple, and strong.

go with your favorite tire (to ride), regardless of ust or not. don't base it on how easy or hard the tire is to seat unless you like to switch out tires a lot. If you do like to switch out tires a lot, tubeless may not be for you because you would run through a lot of sealant and constantly dealing with the mess would be a nuisance. running tubeless, however, would probably cure the perpetual tire switcher, or convince her/him to buy a second set of rims.

make your own sealant. all i do is put 8 tablespoons of latex mold builder ($16 at michael's) in my old stan's quart bottle. however many tablespoons there are in a pint/8=one-hell-of-a-lot better deal than $15/quart for stan's

buy yourself a compressor, especially if you want to run non-ust tires. non-ust tires tend to be looser and require a big blast of air to seat the bead. i haven't found a ust tire that i couldn't easily mount with my floor pump.

now. . . my favorite tires d'jour are 2.35 and 2.5 kenda blue grooves (front) and nevegals (rear) with kevlar beads. they are kind of a pain to mount because they are so loose that even with a compressor they won't seat them. i have found that if i put in a tube to seat the tire, pop on bead to remove the tube, and goop up, i can seat the other bead. do i like to do this? no. is it worth it once every how-ever-long the tire lasts? yes.

bottom line: I have tried a lot of combinations and have found that ust tires are easier to seat, but don't work any better or last any longer than non-ust tires. there is, however, a more limited selection of ust tires. if the tires i like were available ust, i would probably use them. but they aren't, so i run non-ust. . . no big deal.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

UST on UST...

I had been using Stan's with standard rims/tires for a while back in California but didn't like it out here (burping the front tire too much). I finally switched to a full-on UST rig and like it very much...

Crossmax SL Disc
    Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST - Front
    Michelin Hot S 2.2 UST - Back

I'm slowly reducing air pressure to find my comfort zone, but am really liking it so far. I remember Paul mentioning the "noticeable snap" of a UST bead seating in a UST rim (many posts ago). After my first ride I basically forgot that I wasn't running any tubes. With my old setup I would always feel paranoid that I would burp the front tire on a hairy descent and crash...

I put a scoop of Stan's in each tire. I'd like to try True Goo as well. I heard some people say they like it.

RE: Kenda tires...
    I love both the Nevegal and BG. As soon as Kenda comes out with a BG 2.35 in UST I'll switch to a 2.1 Nev UST in back and 2.35 BG UST up front. The BG is an AWESOME front tire. You can stuff it into a sharp turn and it just sticks like glue. I tried one in back once but it felt way too sticky and slow for my taste... For now the Mich/Maxxis combo seems to work good together. The knobs on the Hot S are a little tall but we'll see how it feels once they've worn down a bit.