Completed Piestewa Peak loop ride- Mtbr.com
    Give it a crank

Completed Piestewa Peak loop ride

Today was a beautiful day out so I decided to try my final version of the big loop around Piestewa Peak that I've been piecing together over the last few months. It has it's few hike-a-bike stretches, a very fast paved downhill on 23rd Pl., some nice climbs, technical sections, just about a little bit of everything.

It's only 12 miles long and at an easy pace it took me 2 hours to complete. Total climb/descent is 2200 feet. Started from 40th. St. trailhead but could be start from just about anywhere along the route. The loop is easier in the counter-clockwise direction. The clockwise direction presents some real challenges in a few sections and isn't as fun.

It turned out to be a pretty satisfying ride, going beyond the usual PMP rides. Many variations can be made, though some connecting points have to be used to complete the loop. If there's enough interest, a group ride could be planned sometime.

Here's the GPS log plus a Google Earth map:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Completed Piestewa Peak loop ride-piestewa-loop-ride.jpg  

sprocket
    Nice!!

How much further ???
    I have to get out there and ride around that Squaw Peak area. Looks like fun.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Nice loop.
    I never noticed before, but there is an airplane flying just south-east of the A&W house!

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Nice loop.
    I never noticed before, but there is an airplane flying just south-east of the A&W house!
    Good eye...that's pretty cool.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Nice loop.
    A keen eye and Kenny Powers' witt....whata combo
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Give it a crank
    Did another cool version of this loop today, here's the log for display and download if anyone's interested:

NOTE: the crossing onto Gardenia Dr. crosses private property, access to mountain bikers has not been granted. Make the crossing on the park trailheads the end of 22nd St. and along SR51 instead.

EveryTrail page

Whole loop around Piestewa Peak

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Arizona
    Last edited by Mtn-Rider; 12-18-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Just another half mile...
    Nice Loop, but I think you are crossing through someones yard to access Gardenia Drive in the neighborhood west of Piestewa Peak. I don't think that is a good idea. The only legal access to the trails on the west side is along Trail 1A that runs along behind the sound wall along SR 51 and at the end of 22nd Street. The locals are accessing the trails across a vacant lot at the end of 23rd Street near where you are crossing onto Gardenia Dr. I rode a similar shorter loop last Tuesday Night and I Mapped my route on Everytrail to show you where I accessed the trail. Currently the lot is vacant with no 'No Trespassings' signs, but once someone build on that lot, that access will go away. You might want to delete your map so other don't get the idea that it is OK to cross through private property across someone landscape without permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    Did another cool version of this loop today, here's the log for display and download if anyone's interested:

Give it a crank
    Pretty much, I've checked out that same vacant lot pass and prefer to cut across the Bayless Connector. Access is politely granted by the property owner to hikers only. The sign the owner put doesn't mention bikers so I dismount to cross it which may or may not be acceptable to the owner.

I first went through there a few months ago and posted some info in this thread. In all honesty, I don't think anyone would consider a biker walking a bike to be a hiker. It would be nice to know from the owner how they feel about bikers crossing their property.

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Is it me or do I see a greaser in that trail map?

BOT, I'll have to have a look at these loops when I get back home next week! I doubt I'll be able to ride it non-stop anytime soon after 5 weeks of no riding

Give it a crank
    I rode a similar shorter loop last Tuesday Night and I Mapped my route on Everytrail
    That's a really nice night shot attached to the log, I like it!

Just another half mile...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    Access is politely granted by the property owner to hikers only. The sign the owner put doesn't mention bikers so I dismount to cross it which may or may not be acceptable to the owner.
    The owner may not object to a single mountain biker now and then, but taking groups through there probably wouldn't be a good idea and would wear out our welcome. I know I won't be going thru with any of my TNR's that I lead.

Have you tried riding your loop clockwise? I would think there would be less HAB and more technical decents going CW.

Give it a crank
    That's how I look at it. I did put up a note with the maps, I'll have to sleep on taking them down though, not my style! I agree with no group ride through someone's private. I've taken 2 small groups on the loop so far, one through the vacant lot and one by SR51 which misses all the fun stuff on 1A + 302 (westside).

I did the loop clockwise just once. The catch is 200A, no fun uphill, a few other small sections are actually better. It was on a hot day which really drains out the fun factor, may have to try it again one of these cooler days.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    The owner may not object to a single mountain biker now and then, but taking groups through there probably wouldn't be a good idea and would wear out our welcome. I know I won't be going thru with any of my TNR's that I lead.

Have you tried riding your loop clockwise? I would think there would be less HAB and more technical decents going CW.
    I can't speak to the West side of that loop so much, but on the East side, the 8 descent is semi-technical, at least for me, and the climb up to it from the South technically easier than the reverse. Seems the climb up to AW House would be harder than the descent down. That climb up 8a on the South side though would be HAB for me for sure, but continuing North down 8A to connect with 8 is a fun little run with enough challenging sections to keep one (well, me anyway) on their toes. I'd probably switch the AW House/36th St descent with the 8A every other loop just to change it up.

I ask this from the perspective of someone not real familiar with those particular trails. What rationale, if any, was chosen to drop down from 302 to street-level instead of continuing up to the 300/302 junction then dropping back down 300/302 to reconnect with 200? I believe the upper portion of 300 is hiking only but thought the lower portion is okay for MTB.

Another option would be to continue on 1A/302 all the way back down and South to 200, but now I am possibly straying off topic have created some new bastardized loop, but it would add some tech descents.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler
    That climb up 8a on the South side though would be HAB for me for sure
    It's actually a nice challenge to ride nearly all of 8A uphill. Much easier that 200A further south.

What rationale, if any, was chosen to drop down from 302 to street-level instead of continuing up to the 300/302 junction then dropping back down 300/302 to reconnect with 200? I believe the upper portion of 300 is hiking only but thought the lower portion is okay for MTB.
    300 is no bikes, no dogs, no horses, urban bipeds only. That leaves the only option to go down 23rd Pl. and enter through the main park entrance. After that, yes, reconnect with 200.

Another option would be to continue on 1A/302 all the way back down and South to 200
    That's the ticket. Then catch 8A uphill which for some weird reason I find appealing, and just walk the nasty upper sections. Going down 8A is even funner but then you're stuck at the bottom with few options.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Good to know about 300. I had mistakenly thought that only applied to the trail up to the peak.

I have climbed 8/8A and descended 8/8A, but done neither on the South side of the saddle which I think is roughly lateral to AW house.

I am probably not in good enough shape to try this modified loop, but I really want to one of these days. The tech portions on Hairball and Cheesegrater would be a big challenge. Not much point in walking them so I will wait until I have the chops to ride them.

Thanks for the info.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

Members who have read this thread: 1