Commute by Bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: Commute by Bike

Bring the ruckus

Commute by Bike

I'm going to start commuting by bike on Tuesday. I figure it's a good way to get more riding in while saving $ and being better for the environment. Just curious how many of you out there ride to work and back? How far is your commute? All road or mix? What bike you ride etc.....

There is a great site for maping out your ride @ mapmyride.com check it out. You can even import your route to google earth from the site.

i like cheese.
    Ride as much as I can, usually ~3 times a week... not far 5 - 6miles depending on route. Mostly riding is on the canal, which avoids Camelback and Indian School between 44th and Scottsdale. Riding a fixed Surly Crosscheck, with leftover parts. Unfortunately, I am a fair weather commuter. Work doesn't have a shower, so I am off the bike May through September-ish.

Not a Barry supporter.
    When I worked close to home I would bike commute 2-3 X's a week. It was a 14 mile one way ride that was all road. Hence, used the roadie. Now I work 34 miles from home am hating my commute big time! I do love my job though.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Mommy's Little Monster
    You'll be amazed on how many pesos you save in gas. In the morning I'll ride to the bus stop, throw my old hard tail on the rack, get dropped off a mile from work and ride in from there. After work I'll make the 14 mile street ride all the way home. I'll do that 2-3 times a week when the weather is good. Really helps to clear the mind of all the work stuff at the end of the day, and you can focus more on not getting hit by a car. So $1.25 for a one-way bus trip versus who know how much I spend in gas, plus getting a little exercise....why not?

Dirty Monkey
    13 miles one way for me. I ride every day I work, 3 days one week, 4 the next, so on. All road. Worst part is the first 1/2 mile in the morning, last 1/2 mile at night. No bike lanes at all on AZ Ave. Everywhere else on my chosen route has great bike lanes, never felt threatened/in danger yet. City of Tempe does require (and enforces) lights front and rear. I use my HID Blowtorch on the front, actually have had a couple drivers comment on the fact they could see me good. One comment I've heard from a lot of co-workers, biggest thing they hate to see (we're talking non-riders) is when a cyclist doesn't obey traffic rules, running a stop sign or light, etc.

Bianchi San Jose SS, 44X17 gearing.
    "May The Schwartz Be With You!"

poser Administrator
    10 mi one way in Tucson. All on bike routes and through campus. Been hit twice in a month one year, now I avoid that area at all costs (The U of A at Campbell and Broadway and Speedway).

I find that the safest route is always the best route versus they quickest route. If it takes too long it is still a hell of a lot shorter than it would if you were dead. my $0.02.

Oh and check out a good light like the HID stuff or the new LED lights. Visibility is where it counts at night. so actually my $0.03
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Endurance Junkie
    For me it's 20 miles round trip all road.Pretty much every day since I sold my truck!!!

mtbr member
    When I do commute (which used to be more often than now - 3x/week) my commute is 24 miles roundtrip. All straight up Broadway Blvd! Basically one gallon of gas per day.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

poser Administrator
    gots ta be careful around that broadway cambell area where all those cars are waitin and you are ridin up along their passenger side doors. That is where i got tagged by a car who was late and decided to shortcut through the neighborhood.

A few microseconds later and it would have been a much different and sadder story for me.

I cannot justify the danger versus the convenience any more. The 3rd street bike path is much safer and way more scenic for me. From Columbus on I am on it.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I hear you there! I've been very lucky so far but have had a couple close calls.

Pivotal figure
    I gave up on commuting after reaching a point where every ride felt like I was going into battle. Too many close calls, got egged twice, people cursing you just because you're on a bike... It seemed like a good idea but turned a bit sour for me, hopefully you'll have better luck.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Kathleen in AZ
    I commute 1-2 times a week, usually on my fixed gear roadie but sometimes I'll take a mtn bike and include 4 miles of Desert Classic. Round trip is ~20 miles from my home in Ahwatukee to and from work in west Tempe. The section up 48th St between SoMo and Broadway is without bike lanes so I ride the big empty sidewalks. Staying out of traffic as much as possible has kept me safe for the last 6 years that I've been doing this - no egging, no yelling, no near misses. I have showers at work and there is even an incentive program for commuting by bike - yes, work pays me to ride a bike!

I do a 9-6 work day, so I'm in the dark on the way home now. For the fixie, the Niterider MiNewt is working well.

"Yabut"
    I ride my singlespeed 29'er into work a couple days a week. It's 6 miles, one way, all offroad. One close call, when some impatient guy ran a red light, turning right.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Tucson, AZ
    Mostly dirt on my mountain bike, 6 miles round trip everyday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler
    I'm going to start commuting by bike on Tuesday. I figure it's a good way to get more riding in while saving $ and being better for the environment. Just curious how many of you out there ride to work and back? How far is your commute? All road or mix? What bike you ride etc.....

There is a great site for maping out your ride @ mapmyride.com check it out. You can even import your route to google earth from the site.
    1 mile to work, but I come home for lunch for a total commute of 4 miles a day. When I'm not feeling lazy I walk.

When I lived in Boise I commuted year-round, 2 and a half miles to work one way. Living close to work is a great quality of life advantage.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

I'm "bad" different
    15 miles roundtrip, all bike lanes in N Phoenix. Sometimes it's the only exercise I can fit in on a work day - the bicycle keeps me sane. I too have showers at work, but in this cooler weather I find a sink bath does the trick (although don't ask my coworkers).

I bought a mid 90's GT Tequesta off of Craigslist for $40, cleaned it up and slapped some smooth tires on. It's pimped out with Cateye flashing lights all around, air pump, water bottle, handlebar mirror, ergonomic grips and a massive trunk bag - the bike weighs 50lbs fully loaded! I ride in at 5am and home at 5:30pm so I'm in the dark (literally and figuratively) both ways. I sport a reflective dayglo vest and anklets - I look mighty special but I've never had a close call in the dark. Twice I've had someone coming from the opposite direction pull an illegal u-turn in the road only to realize they can't clear the curb and stop dead in the bike lane on my side of the road.

I personally like the people that yell out a car window to "ride faster", only to get stuck at the next light so that I may ask them if they had something to say (they aren't so tough when they're not moving). Another special treat is folks in lifted (prerequisite) diesel pickup trucks that like to romp the throttle to belch clouds of black soot out the tail pipe (is this why the tailpipes are always on the right side?).

Despite riding the same route 3-4 times a week, it's always a bit different, and keeps things interesting. I think it's a great way to start and end the day - so much so that it was a primary factor in my decision on where to buy a condo. Now if only I could get my company to buy in on Kathleen's incentive program I wouldn't have to work so many hours!

Mommy's Little Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by WeezPuff
    Now if only I could get my company to buy in on Kathleen's incentive program I wouldn't have to work so many hours!
    If your place of business has 100+ people employed there's a pretty good chance they have been asked to comply with the trip reduction program.

http://www.maricopa.gov/aq/divisions...n/Default.aspx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would love to commute but......

I'm itchin to start commuting but the cons out weigh the pros in my case. Check out my list.

Pros
    - Great work out
    - Saves money
    - Saves the planet
    - I love to ride
    - Justification to buy a Cyclocross! Yessss!!!!

Cons
    - 44 miles round trip
    - Over an hour commute each way
    - My company pays me a car allowance
    - I work from 8 - o dark thrity
    - I have to carry a laptop with me at all times
    - Bike lanes are few and far between
    - Neighborhoods around my work are pretty sketchy ( I'd have to carry some sort of personal protection)

Any ideas? I need

Occidental Tourist
    I'm going to start commuting by bike on Tuesday.
    How was it?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    I ride to work on 2x per week these days. All road, 22 total miles.

My biggest problem is trying to find a safe way into the pocket of Scottsdale inside the NE corner of the 101. Normally I just take mayo and ride through the Princess resort.

With all the construction on the 51/101 interchange and on Scottsdale rd slowing things down, it actually only takes me twice as long to ride 11 miles to work vs drive. I would have thought riding would take a lot longer.

Bring the ruckus
    The ride to work was awesome! This is going to be my primary means of transportation from now on. It's 15 mi each way to work and back, and takes me a little over an hour. Great workout and stress relief.

Check out my route http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...mesa/482470511

i like cheese.
    The ride to work was awesome! This is going to be my primary means of transportation from now on. It's 15 mi each way to work and back, and takes me a little over an hour. Great workout and stress relief.

Check out my route http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...mesa/482470511
    if you see a handsome fella on a black surly w/beard while you're on the canal, say hello.

Bring the ruckus
    Will do. What part of the canal are you riding?

i like cheese.
    40th to Goldwater...

mtbr member
    While the weather is getting awesome for commuting, by the time I get home, I'm riding just at sunset or close thereafter. People hardly see us cyclists on a good day, so add to that dusk/night and I get creeped out. I still might commute every so often, but most likely I'll wait for more evening light.

Good luck out there...

mtbr member
    I'm lucky that I work 7-4. The roads are pitch black and empty when I'm out there and still well lit on my way home. The lights on my bike probably help too.

Bring the ruckus
    Yea luckily I have mostly canal on my commute. And the places I have to ride the road there is a nice bike lane. The only part I could do without is the Rio Salado stretch.

Uncle Jay
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I'm commuting from 13ave and Chandler to University and Price, 19miles one way. This time of year I'm in the failing light/dark there and back (workin' 7-530ish) and so the commute gets cut down to a few days a week because I'm sceerded by the cars. But I must say, it is the best way to breath exhaust fumes. I tried doing it there and back on the fixed gear, but found the geared roadie much more condusive to my work ethic.
    As far as the guy that has the pros and cons list, you can get a good bag that will hold that lap top, I went to Target and got a swiss army back pack, has holes for media players, has deep pockets that hold tons of crap and even has a waist belt to help snug it down.
    I also feel like I'm going into battle when I leave the house, but still, I think it's worth it on personal and global levels. Though I've never been egged. That's a new one, I think I'd be P.O.ed!!!!
    Do it! It's the best thing!

mtbr member
    I have a nearly ideal bike commute. 5 or 6 miles depending on route choice, and bike lanes for almost the entire ride.
    I commute from south Tempe to ASU.
    The Hardy Bike lane rules.
    I ride 3 to 4 days per week and have a shower and gym to use before work.

mtbr member
    I'm really not sure I could commute to work without having a shower in the building available when I got here.

Does anyone continue to commute once it starts heating up again?

I'm "bad" different
    The summer is the best! You think you're hot until you get stuck at a red light surrounded by all the car exhaust. I wouldn't do it if my ride was more than 30min each way. When I get home I'm just starting to get dizzy from the heat. And forget about taking a "cold" shower in Phoenix when the waters been sitting under the pavement all day - a big box fan is about the only thing that'll bring you back.

Hey, I must like it cause I ride all year round. I actually find it more difficult to get motivated with the cold mornings since you freeze for the first five minutes. Once it gets down into the 50's I can break out the extra layers without sweating the last few miles.

Members who have read this thread: 0