In the rear with the beer

Communuters still commuting?

Are you daily commuters still commuting with these winds? I'm trying to get back to twice a week (50+miles round trip for me), but Tuesday, I'll admit, the winds put me in the car (plus I really just didn't feel like getting out of bed, to be honest). I'm hoping the wind dies down a little tomorrow, so it doesn't give me an excuse again....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Tucson, AZ
    Yes, 8/10 miles one-way road/mountain. It is bike 2 work week down here in Tucson this week also.

parenting for gnarness
    pshaw...don't be a p*$$y.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Dave
    Still doing it as much as possible. 16 mi round trip. Yes the wind today would have blown me home at 45 mph. I didn't ride to work today but Im MTBing after work on SoMo. It will be windy as heck up there. 10x this month so far. It's been so long since I drove my car I had a hard time finding the sweet spot on my clutch this past weekend.

50 miles RT , wow thats ready a long ride.
    I need to ride more and work less.

Master Gardener
    The wind up here sucks, too. I'm still riding my bike, not that I have a choice. But my commute is only one mile.

Boy am I in a rotten mood by the time I get home at night though. The wind is crazy-making.

mtbr member
    I admit to being a pv$$y... I friggin' HATE riding in the wind. Rode in yesterday (26-miles roundtrip) and it was gorgeous in the morning... brutal windy on the ride home. I've got an evening appointment tomorrow so it's a no-go, and I might on Friday. But in my experience, I have more close-calls with cars on Friday afternoons than any other day. They're all on the phone, driving like maniacs (more than usual) trying to get their weekend started.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Cracker
    I have more close-calls with cars on Friday afternoons than any other day.
    I agree

mtbr member
    not a regular, but I dropped my bike off for service and took my bike to work from dealership. the ride back to pick it up might not be as pleasent as the spin to work this am.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    pshaw...don't be a p*$$y.
    I should have seen that comment coming. Based on that, I'm gonna ride to work tomorrow wind or no wind!

Looking brutal out there right now....but still gonna stick to my committment for an afterwork ride at T100. But I would rather ride in rain than in wind anyday....even the 10 minute hailstorm i got stuck in on Saturday wasn't as bad at 30mph winds...it messes with my head.
    Salvation Outdoor

Meatbomb
    and have ya noticed it's always coming from the direction you are traveling ... no matter how many turns you make .

Master Gardener
    When you live in the mountains, it's more than an illusion. The wind blows in freakin' circles!

Pivotal figure
    The wind is definitely starting to wear on me. Haven't ridden in for over 2 weeks and this week isn't gonna happen either. Not even gonna do BMX practice tonight; I inhaled enough dust last week
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    I should have seen that comment coming. Based on that, I'm gonna ride to work tomorrow wind or no wind!
    its tuff love week on mtbr

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    not a regular, but I dropped my bike off for service and took my bike to work from dealership. the ride back to pick it up might not be as pleasent as the spin to work this am.
    I haven't commuted once since my Salsa dos Niner (favorite commuting bike) snapped during Spring Fling a month ago. But today I'm in the same predicament as you Brian.... I am leaving the vehicle in the shop tonight for repairs today and tomorrow and I am on two wheels tonight and tomorrow AM. Unfortunately I loaded up my roadie fixie for tonight's ride. Oh, this is going to HURT!!!

mtbr member
    riding home in a few minutes. only about 5.5 miles. Wish I had a dust mask.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I haven't commuted once since my Salsa dos Niner (favorite commuting bike) snapped during Spring Fling a month ago. But today I'm in the same predicament as you Brian.... I am leaving the vehicle in the shop tonight for repairs today and tomorrow and I am on two wheels tonight and tomorrow AM. Unfortunately I loaded up my roadie fixie for tonight's ride. Oh, this is going to HURT!!!
    Yea, it hurt. And it was cold! For once tho the wind was not in my face the whole time... It seemed to be coming from the NW until around the Point at SoMo and then it was in my face. I think it hurt so much just cause I'm not used to that bike and I've been a slacker lately sitting my lazy arse in traffic with the rest of the working population, one car per person creeping south along the I10. sigh. Time to get off my duff and ride my bike to work again! I am looking forward to getting another Salsa built up soon so that my commute will take place at least partially on dirt.

Meatbomb
    How did you break the Salsa? Are they covering the frame ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    For once tho the wind was not in my face the whole time... It seemed to be coming from the NW until around the Point at SoMo and then it was in my face.
    Other than heading west over Guadalupe, I flew home tonight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nope, I just sold my road/commuter bike on ebay. Good timing with the wind, just hoping I can get my shopping spree done for a replacement commuter by wednesdays "bike to work" day If not it'll be a MTB commute.

Tomorrow's forecast: 2-3mph winds between 7am and 9am; 9-10mph from 5pm to 7pm.....10mph and under is no excuse to not ride.....(the high 40's low 50's temps in the AM may be a slightly different story though
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm commuting tomorrow also. Thrusday and Friday 34 mile round trip ritual! It was a great T100 ride this afternoon, the winds didn't slow us down. How were the brewskis after?

Quote Originally Posted by soulpatch
    I'm commuting tomorrow also. Thrusday and Friday 34 mile round trip ritual! It was a great T100 ride this afternoon, the winds didn't slow us down. How were the brewskis after?
    Beers were delicious as always!! Got a little cold out on the patio though....well, gotta hop on my bike now and get to work!! See you in 2 weeks (i can't make next wednesday, but i'm in the following )
    Salvation Outdoor

Dave

Chilly or what...

Refreshing ride in today or what? Cool out there, had to break out the wool socks again and knee warmers. Just put them away too.
    Probably or last cold morning til November...
    I need to ride more and work less.

swashbucklerette
    I didn't win the locker lottery at work, so I had to load up the bike with extra crap today. This was the first time I've ridden it with that setup. It didn't work. My commute is normally 25 miles one-way, but instead I rode to the bus stop and took the express into work. So today it was Bike 2 Bus 2 Work day for me. My husband got a flat and decided to just go back home after that and drive in.

I found out it's only 5.5 miles to the bus stop. I might start doing a townie setup to avoid showering/changing at work. I could always do the full commute when I want miles. So in a way it was good as I learned something new.

Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    Refreshing ride in today or what? Cool out there, had to break out the wool socks again and knee warmers. Just put them away too.
    Probably or last cold morning til November...
    A little brisk this morning, I work a heavy jersey, the warm gloves, etc. But brought a lighter jersey for the ride home expecting/hoping it to be a little warmer. At least the wind was not an issue!! Tomorrow looks good too, but, like other posters, I fear the "happy hour" driver so i'll probably be back in the car....
    Salvation Outdoor

Wrench-O-Phile
    I ride around 17 miles round trip. I haven't missed a day. I head N/S and vice-versa, so some days are worse than others.

Even though head winds suck, those tail winds are mighty fine. I was coasting at 25mph the other day on the way home.

Just have to take the bad with the good.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

So would getting an electric bike for your commute be cheating? Possible logical reasoning could be that with 50 miles RT, currently twice a week, the electric bike could make it easy/fast enough to do 4 days/week.....however, each ride would be less of a workout, given the electric assist....but would save gas/pollution on 4 days rather than 2....hmmmm...

Thoughts?
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    What's a "Communuter"?
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Members who have read this thread: 0